Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray baste or pin >

Spray baste or pin

Spray baste or pin

Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Be sure and use a walking foot. It will help keep your back from puckering. Still need to pin and/or spray, but it will help. :thumbup:
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM
GG

What is SID I must have miss something
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by GG
What is SID I must have miss something
Stitch in the Ditch?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM

I spray baste and a walking foot..I very seldom ever use pins for anything !!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Carol B
I know I haven't been quilting for long (1year) and i am totally addicted however, the last 2 quilts that I have done have ended up puckering when I SID. I am a pinner (and usually use too many pins), not a spray baster and perhaps that is my problem. Maybe I am stretching the fabric when I SID, I am not sure, however, I am really peeved. I take a lot of care when I piece the tops and so am nearly in tears when this happens. The latest one isn't as puffed up as the one before but none the less I am still dissapointed in the end product. I don't want to be a topper only and take all my quilts to be quilted (I couldn't afford it anyway)and I am not a quitter...so what tips can you give me to help me overcome my problems. Thanks very much for taking the time to help out a fellow quilter.
I use both but mostly spray baste. Are you using a walking foot (even feed foot)? I had a "universal" one for my old Singer 401A, and it didn't work. When I bought an old Singer walking foot, it worked beautifully.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
GG

Thank you I have one of those days with a headache and could not figure SID just a senior moment
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Carol B
I know I haven't been quilting for long (1year) and i am totally addicted however, the last 2 quilts that I have done have ended up puckering when I SID. I am a pinner (and usually use too many pins), not a spray baster and perhaps that is my problem. Maybe I am stretching the fabric when I SID, I am not sure, however, I am really peeved. I take a lot of care when I piece the tops and so am nearly in tears when this happens. The latest one isn't as puffed up as the one before but none the less I am still dissapointed in the end product. I don't want to be a topper only and take all my quilts to be quilted (I couldn't afford it anyway)and I am not a quitter...so what tips can you give me to help me overcome my problems. Thanks very much for taking the time to help out a fellow quilter.
First question. Are you doing SID with a walking foot? That made all the difference for me. I still pin a lot, and sew slower, but now, no puckers. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah
Can't help myself, must comment. I have spray basted 120+ quilts with no problems, only VERY positive results. Have not experienced fabric discoloration, gummy needles, puckers, or lung damage ;-). I lay an over sized flannel sheet over my king bed and headboard. The sheet helps hold the project in place and protects from over spray. Arrange batting on backing, peel back half, spray lightly (can add more if needed), smooth batting down, repeat for other half. Arrange top on batting and repeat process, flip project over to double check for smoothness, let stand for a few minutes, and proceed with quilting or storage. Directing spray toward center of project helps with over spray. I have never starched or ironed while basting, just sprayed, and I don't add pins. I can now baste a king sized quilt (120x120) in less than an hour and it saves my back and knees!
Thanks SOOOO much for your info. If you've done 120+ quilts I'm confident you know what you're talking about. Thanks again.....
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by dollycaswell
Thanks SOOOO much for your info. If you've done 120+ quilts I'm confident you know what you're talking about. Thanks again.....
It takes a little practice. Helps to have a friend (or spouse) to help until you get the hang of it but it is a life saver. When it comes to spraying "less is more", start with light spraying then gently smoothing layers together. Another technique is to put the batting down first with the backing on top and doing the fold back/spray/smooth process then flipping that over and finish the process with the quilt top. The flannel sheet helps A LOT to hold everything in place, works like a design wall. I tried doing it on my design wall but the bed is much easier, at least for me. Sending "vibes" for success. ;-)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 PM

For years I pinned but today I decided to sray baste I'm sold on spray!!!!