Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
spray basting failure! >

spray basting failure!

spray basting failure!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 PM

My daughter ironed the fabric for me and it is possible she used spray starch. Or it could be permapress. Will washing take care of the problem if it is permapress? Also, the front is nicely stuck, so I will not be washing it until after quilting, will it be OK to wash the back and not the front, or will I end up w/another issue?

Maybe I will use school glue

I will report back on what I do. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

It's fine to wash the back and not the front, as long as you are planning to quilt moderately.

You could wash a small piece of the backing fabric, then test. That way you won't waste a lot of time and spray if this is not going to work.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

You could wash a small piece of the backing fabric, then test. That way you won't waste a lot of time and spray if this is not going to work.
Good idea, I have plenty of the backing fabric so a trial piece would not be a problem.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I have never used broadcloth because that always meant to me that there was something else in the fabric. Might be the perma-press that is embedded in the fabric.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have never used broadcloth because that always meant to me that there was something else in the fabric. Might be the perma-press that is embedded in the fabric.
Ha! I didn't know that about broadcloth! Thanks for the lesson!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I also thought broadcloth was only a blend but no you can get 100% cotton broad cloth, and it is not always perma-press, that was just what JoAnn's had. This site even has print broadcloth! www.fashionfabricsclub.com

The fabric I purchased was from a store in town that gets leftovers or something, and the prices are very resonable, I am guessing mine is either a perma-press, or has sizing on it, or maybe spray starch!

Jenna
Old 03-07-2015, 05:48 AM

This sounds silly, but I had the same problem....I finally looked at the can, and although it looked EXACTLY like the basting spray, it was a different spray(can't remember which one now). They were on the same shelf at the store and all the colors on the Dritz cans are the same. I felt really silly but sounds like the same thing.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:56 AM

I think broadcloth is a cotton/poly blend. Not sure of the %.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I thought all "broadcloth" fabric was a blend. Hmmm, got to google/research that.

Okay, found "100% cotton broadcloth" at Joanns, but it also says it's "permapress"....which tells me it's a treated fabric which would likely have interfered with your spray
Jan in VA
I always look forward to a response from Jan ... sorta like WWJD (J being Jan) ... Jan never disappoints
Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I thought all "broadcloth" fabric was a blend. Hmmm, got to google/research that.

Okay, found "100% cotton broadcloth" at Joanns, but it also says it's "permapress"....which tells me it's a treated fabric which would likely have interfered with your spray.

Jan in VA
Jan, I just bought some of that very same fabric from their online store, so I didn't see it in person first. I'm not so sure that I like it. It definitely has some sort of finish on it and it's thinner than usual. I agree, if that's the fabric that is being used for the back, it just may have something interfering with the adhesion.

~ Cindy