Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
spray basting failure! >

spray basting failure!

spray basting failure!

Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
If all else fails I would use school glue on the back. Let it dry for a few hours and that should work.
I did one with school glue on which the glue did not adhere well to one side of the batting. It may have been the scrim which made a difference, but now I couldn't tell you which side didn't stick well. I put basting pins around the outside edges to take the pressure off, and it quilted OK.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:59 AM

I don't think it is spray starch, I'm a prewasher so consequently always spray starch before I cut. I've used three different brands of spray baste and never had one bit of problem.
My guess is the backing fabric itself as noted above or the side of the batting to the back. I'd do some samples with that batting, with the same fabric as you said you have plenty and both sides of the batting.

I've never known there to be a difference but there is a long thread here about right and wrong side of batts Good luck!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:34 AM

Over the many years and many sprayed quilts, I have decided upon only using 505 basting spray. It's a bit pricier than some, but I usually order it from Nancy's Notions and get the free shipping. Several other ladies I know only use this one too. It washes out easily and to me, has no smell.......hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:12 AM

does the batting you are using have scrim on one side only and is that the top side that is adhering perfectly?
Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 PM

It is an interesting problem. Definitely sounds like some kind of finishing issue. I use the Mettler Web Bond TA101 and have no problems with staining. It holds the fabric nicely when I use it to float tops.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 AM

I've never had a problem with school glue. I would try that before I went to a lot of trouble washing.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:03 AM
mac

I was told in a class one time that almost all fabric has sizing on it to make it look and feel thicker, which is why you need to at least rinse your fabric and dry it before ironing on any of the Heat & Bond type products. I would imagine it works the same for the spray on basting products, too. This also explains why sometimes when you wash new fabric that had a nice weight to it before you washed it, comes out of the dryer like a thin, limp noodle.

I've only used the basting spray twice in my life. The first time I used it, I guess I was too generous with it and the little mini-quilt came out so stiff after I basted it, that is could have stood up and walked away. The second time, I was less generous with it and it wouldn't stay together while I was sewing it. I ended up pinning it like I always do. The third time for me should be a charm... if there will be a third time, that is.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:02 PM

Here is my report back on spray basting issue. I washed a scrap of the backing fabric then tested w/spray again...it did hold! I am not sure which side of the batting I had in this case "down", and it is possible I had a right and a wrong side down because I pieced the batting! I also tested the fabric content and it burned like cotton, only ash no hard blobs. On the quilt itself I went w/glue basting because I did not what to take the back off. That worked also. One thing I did note though is the basting spray still did not hold as well, but then I remembered I had used fabric softener in the load I washed the scrap with. It was still a good enough bond to work w/though so I am happy.

And while we are on basting and glue, I'd like to mention that I glue basted a backing on a baby quilt, diluted the glue 50-50 w/water, and used poly batting and it did not stick either!!! I think the glue must have seeped into the batting before it dried the layers together. So, I spray basted that one LOL!!!

Thanks again for all the help,
Jenna