Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer? >

Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer?

Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer?

Old 11-04-2016, 04:32 PM

I glue baste my quilts using Elmer's Washable School Glue. I dilute it about 50/50, shake it well and drizzle it on. I tried putting it in a spray bottle, but found it was too thick to spray very well.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by M cubed View Post
I am about ready to try glue basting, but thought that MAYBE if I dilute it (say about 50-50) and put it in a spray bottle it should work pretty much the same way that 505 does. Has anyone ever tried this?
I think of glue basting as a replacement for pin basting not spray basting so I just drizzle it on in a grid approximating where I would put pins. Once it is dry in my experience it doesn't shift at all. I just did another quilt which is about my 12th or 13th with the glue basting and there is nary a wrinkle on the back and the sewing machine did just fine with it.
Try drizzling on a test piece and see how you like it
Old 11-07-2016, 07:29 AM

I prefer pinning, but it's been hard to do it since my local quilt shop closed (I could use their tables). There is another quilt shop I can go to, but it's some distance. I'm hoping next year to set up a board system to pin large quilts in my garage.

I tried glue spray, but I've not been very successful compared to pins. I avoid spray stuff as it affects the lungs. You cannot avoid breathing it in, even outside.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
CindyA...try Sharon Schamber hand baste quilt... she demonstrates using two pieces of pink material which is a little confusing at first... but this method works! I bought the straightest boards I could see at our little hardware/lumber yard... you can probably find straighter using more finished boards...but you'll pay more too AND the material "adheres" to my "not particularly smooth" boards just fine! Good luck!
Thank you, Running 1, I'll search for it now.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:42 PM

Boards and pins is my method of choice. Pretty quick and no wrinkles on the back at all.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:24 PM

I use boards and hand baste with thread I'm trying to use up.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:33 PM

If I am quilting a large quilt, I use backing for the whole quilt, and sandwich the batting for only the center 1/3 of the width. I secure that 1/3 with glue. Then I quilt, by machine, that center third.

This is the way I've found to best have it fit, and move, using my domestic machine.

Then I add the outer third of the batting, glue, and don't even hand stitch it to the center batting if I know there is enough fmq to hold it. Then I fmq that outer 1/3.
Then the other outer 1/3.
Ready for binding

I do have a 67 x 49 desk surface, with formica and I can even iron the glue without damage to the surface.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

I do it the Sharon Schamber method. I have a 6' folding table and use that. I need another board. was raining one day and hubs was needing that size board. So rather than trapse through the rain I let him cut it up. I have also done it at my kitchen table and it's relaxing because I can watch a movie while doing this. One thing different I do if I am not going to get to quilting it soon after is to go a head and put a couple holding stitches or a few pins in the center point of the quilt and a couple feet outward. I pin out like a starburst, up and down like a cross then diagonally like an "X". doesn't take that much time if you do it as you go.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:22 AM

I bought a used z44 quilting frame at a thrift store to use for making my large quilt sandwiches since I do not have a large enough space for large quilts. I have layered several on this frame now and it is so easy. I pin some and have thread basted some. Maybe I'll try quilting on it some day. This is so much easier than scooting around on the floor like I used to do in my old house before moving into this smaller place.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:15 PM

I spray baste using June Taylor basting spray. I use large tubes to roll the backing & another for the flimsy. That helps me to spray baste a big quilt in a small space. I've learned to let it dry overnight before quilting it, but my hands don't always work as good as I'd like. This is so much faster and easier on my back and hands.