Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SPREADING THE WORD - 1/4-INCH FOOT THAT WORKS!!!!

Nana, that contraption is called a fabric mover and they are pretty pricey, I saw it demoed at the Houston show but they only had a fat quarter on it, that does not show me that it makes it any easier to manuver a full size quilt!

i have seen then in Nancy's Notions, but it would not be difficult to make one from pvc and plastic sheeting that you find at home depot.

Judging from the limited viewing on T.V., it look as though someone could have a company with laser cutting capibilities just "make one". I have heard that over the years some women, with husbands who worked in machine shops, ask their husband to make a foot that would accomplish certain tasks. Evidently women who sew and quilt are also engineers.

i have the free motion slider and highly recommend it (even at the $30 price tag!). i've only used it on smaller projects, but it really seemed to make a difference.

and i just read about the curve master the other day! can't remember where, though. maybe online when i was looking for feet for my 'left needle position' machine :(

fabricluvr~ You got me interested, so I looked up the free motion slider. It says it's telfon coated and sticks to the sewing machine. Is that like a static cling? I'm just wondering how much more "slippery" it is over the reg. extention table.

not sure about your extension table, but i have an 'aftermarket' one. it fits my machine bed, but there are 'bumps' where the two join. this totally eliminates that and seems to give the bed just the right 'touch' to make me more comfortable with free motion (and i've had my issues, believe me!).

i'm not sure that it's actually 'static cling' (on the bottom side). it's more of a sticky plastic finish that kind of reminds me of what the acrylic stamps are made of (for card making, that cling to the acrylic block so you don't have to use adhesive). the top side is the teflon finish (so they say, you could fool me easily enough) that is really 'slippery'.

and something else that makes me think it's like the acrylic stamp finish is that the directions say if it becomes 'nonsticky' gently wash it with warm soapy water.

hope this helps!

Did I miss something? What is the name of the company making this wonderful 1/4" foot? Does it fit Janome and Bernia machines?

Here is the link to site Patrice posted

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/P60498.php

I have three 1/4 inch feet and the best one is the one I just bought. It has the little edge going down the side so your fabric will not go pass it. So you sew exactly 1/4 inch without haveing to keep your fabric lined up with the foot. It will do different sizes also. I have the foot Patrica has and I like it also but you are limited with the sizes and it will slide under the foot. Here is a picture of the foot I just got. It is amazing. I have been using it for the Mystery Quilt we are doing and wondering what took me so long to buy it. I saw it about six months ago and thought I had enough 1/4 feet. But boy I am glad I changed my mind. Check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you get this one at the same site DonnaRae? They show one there that looks like it may be the same one, and the price isn't bad at all.

I was looking at it last night, and I like the litlle guide thing on it. I think they use one with a guide on Fon's & Porter all the time too.

Quote Originally Posted by mary705
    Did you get this one at the same site DonnaRae? They show one there that looks like it may be the same one, and the price isn't bad at all.

I was looking at it last night, and I like the litlle guide thing on it. I think they use one with a guide on Fon's & Porter all the time too.
    Mary, Actually I got mine on Ebay for $9.95 It is a brother. But they are all over. I saw them at Hancocks by Singer, I have seen off brand name ones, so I guess just shop around. That is what I did. Do you want the Ebay site? The guide is the best. The fabric realy does not go under the foot.

Yes, that would be great. The one at the other site is $16.99, which isn't bad, and it also works with Brother, Singer and other machines. I use my Singer now, but also have a Brother, so my feet are interchangable. My Brother came with a walking foot, my Singer didn't, but I can interchange them, also my bobbins work for either machine.

I haven't used my Brother machine since I bought my Singer this past Christmas, the Brother was maybe a year old, but not computerized. My Singer has many more features. Had I known I was going to love quilting as much as I do, probably would have gone with a machine with more features in the first place.

But, will still keep my Brother, cause it is a little bit lighter to take with me if I ever join a guild or go to my Aunts houses to do some sewing for them.

Blog Entries
    Patrice,

This looks great. I have a 1/4" foot which came with my Janome, but I like the transparency of your foot. Only problem is I don't have a swing needle. I wish they would just make a scant quarter inch foot. I love your cat by the way. He/she is so laid back, I wonder is this a reflection of your personality?

Quote Originally Posted by mary705
    Yes, that would be great. The one at the other site is $16.99, which isn't bad, and it also works with Brother, Singer and other machines. I use my Singer now, but also have a Brother, so my feet are interchangable. My Brother came with a walking foot, my Singer didn't, but I can interchange them, also my bobbins work for either machine.

I haven't used my Brother machine since I bought my Singer this past Christmas, the Brother was maybe a year old, but not computerized. My Singer has many more features. Had I known I was going to love quilting as much as I do, probably would have gone with a machine with more features in the first place.

But, will still keep my Brother, cause it is a little bit lighter to take with me if I ever join a guild or go to my Aunts houses to do some sewing for them.
    Here is the site I bought mine. http://stores.ebay.com/Kens-Sewing-and-Vacuum-Center

I have two brothers (3 counting serger) an older Kenmore and older Singer and all the feet are interchangeable. I understand that the newer Kenmore are not. Mine is from the early eightys, but believe me it is one good machine. Anyway most feet are interchangable now. Now it is low shank, high shank, slant shank and even then they now have adapters for say you have high shank, they have adapters so you can use low shank. Amazing. :D Let me know if you find the foot. I gave you the addy of the Ebay store, but it is also on regular ebay bid (but I think that is buy now too. Back to sewing. I am sewing step 2 now. I will be done today I hope! :wink:

Thanks for the link.

I'm finishing up on step 2 also. Woo Hoo!

Will post a pic after I have them all pressed and pinned into 10's.

Just call me CHEAP, but I use narrow painters tape. With the tape still on the roll, I take a very sharp knife or one of those tools which has a blade, I suppose they are called a box blade, and cut through about 6 - 8 layers of the tape. Then I turn the "spool" about 8" and make another cut. This is then removed all together in a thick layer and placed beside my 1/4 pressure foot to create a ridge for the fabric to follow. (I have measured to be sure that I have this placed correctly to achieve the 1/4" seam). This strip of tape extends to the front and back of the pressure foot and is absolutely great to have when sewing strips because it keeps the fabric straight behind the pressure foot after it has been sewn and helps feed the fabric several inches in front of the pressure foot. My experience has been that keeping the fabric straight behind the foot helps keep the fabric from getting messed up in front. Having several inches of this tape ridge in front of the foot helps me sew faster because I now am not watching the needle, instead I am keeping an eye on several inches of fabric and guiding it in a straight line before it is even close to being sewn. I have also seen a lady using this ridge of tape on her ruler. She just placed this at the 2 1/2" mark on her ruler in several places to butt up against several layers of fabric to be cut into strips. I have not tried this just yet, probably because I could not easily find the roll of tape.

I have also heard of doing that, but, because I do other sewing that requires other size seams, I haven't done it.

Yeah, I use to do all that stuff, with carpet tape and all kinds of tape, post it notes, you name it, but I too do all kinds of sewing so got tired of moving tape. Foot that you can adjust is so much easier and at $10.00 I think it is actually is cheaper in the long run and definitly less of a headache :!: (so you buy less aspirin- had to put that in :lol: ) :D

And I also have the top loading bobbin, so would have to move it a lot.

I use 3 different feet for my 1/4" seam. I have an 30 yr old Bernina 830 and I just got a new 730. I did buy their 1/4" foot with a guide however the guide inhibits what I want to do sometimes. I do use my edger foot, love it for lots of things including paper piecing. I have a clear 1/4" I belive it was called the Big Little foot, I have had it for a long time and with all the adapters you can buy for the different type of feet, it has fit everyone of my machines including a very old Singer. Also, when I use any of my feet even if it has narrow opening I can move my needle 1 or 2 clicks for my skant 1/4" even if I am using my single hole needle plate. I just have to be careful and put a note on my maching not to switch to zig-zag. Or there goes another needle. My new machine does have a security I can set however if I set it when I put the single hole plate on I can not move my needle for the scant 1/4". I love using all these feet for different sewing items. Well, I have to face it I love computers, sewing and quilting so the new computerized machines are a blast for me. If you can see the attached I am showing pictures of all the adapters & 1/4" feet that I have. Hopefully some of you will learn from this. You DO NOT need to buy every foot for your machine! Investigate you may have some that will work on your machine. However, just becareful machines are too expensive to repair. There is a lot of good info out there at shows, shops and dealers. Buy wisely and have fun.

1/4" feet and some adapters.
    Name:  Attachment-8475.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  53.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I think we've been talking about 2 different things for free-motion: 1- the teflon-coated sheet that smooths the 'bumps' under the quilt; 2- a TABLE-like device that moves the quilt around under the needle. There are 2 models of the TABLE. One just moves the quilt more easily. The more expensive one ALSO regulates the stitch to match the speed at which you're moving the quilt - which means the stitches are ALWAYS the same size no matter how fast or slowly you move the quilt! It's pricey though - $1200. Pfaff, Viking and Bernina all sell it for their machines - maybe more dealers, I don't know.

Elizabeth A - you said Inspira sells it for $300. Do you have a web site for Inspira or an address or phone number?
    Thanks, Joanne A

jac
    Do you know if this foot works on all machines? Or is it limited to Singer?

It looks like it fits a lot of different machines.

I believe it's called Inspira Fab-U-Motion. The listed MSRP is $499, and the link below is to someone who is offering it $100 off. http://www.pfaff.com/ca/en/media/Ca/BigCoupnEvent.pdf

and this one is 25% off, though I'm not sure ~ it looks like a local store only.
    http://www.donssewing.com/50thanniversarysale.html

Now all this searching was done online. I'm certain my local friend said $300, I will try to remember to ask her the store she saw it at and post the info back here. :wink:

Yes they have the feet for all different types of machines. My foot was for my brother. Feet are interchangeable. But they sale the different feet for different machines also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast