Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spritzing While You Work >

Spritzing While You Work

Spritzing While You Work

Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 PM

Default Spritzing While You Work

I like to keep a water spray bottle near the sewing machine where I'm piecing. It's easier to spritz with a little water to smooth out the wrinkles, than it is to get up, go to the iron, plug it in and wait for it to heat up. Dampening the fabric also helps keep the layers together and prevents the ruler from slipping and sliding around. Right now, I use a regular 1 quart size spray bottle, but I'd like to find something that creates a finer mist, like a cosmetic spritzer. Does anyone else spritz while you work?

~ C
Old 11-12-2018, 01:24 PM

Do you sew wet fabric? Have a small iron by machine?

I keep a spritz bottle in the ironing station starch stash. Best Press, Niagra spray (white bottle) plus Niagra Heavy (spray can all waiting on a small tray. Yes, I do spritz a wayward seam lightly with water and then iron. This is done on the ironing station and not near my machine.

No water by machine. I seldom take drinks into the room even though I have drink cups with lids.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 PM

I don't spritz at the machine. Like Rhonda, I keep a water bottle at the ironing board.

You can find nice spray bottles that spritz a fine spray at Sally Beauty Supply. I just looked at their website and it looks like they come in 2 sizes. $7 to $11.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/salon-eq...ottles#start=1
Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 PM

check your local quilt shop--mine has a new bottle (this summer) that has a very fine mist.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:50 PM

I always get up to iron. It is one way to get some movement to keep from getting stiff.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

​I spritz when I iron, not at my machine. I finger press at my machine.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:40 AM

I found a spritz bottle like cashs_mom at Amazon and it works beautifully. Very super fine mist. I use it at the ironing board not at my machine. If I remember correctly it is in the beauty supply section.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:39 AM

I got my spray bottles at Sally's. They were much less expensive than the $7-11 mentioned above. They were more in the range of a couple of dollars. They often run specials of buy one, get one. Salon Care is the brand.
I spritz at the ironing board. I would be concerned about having water close to my machine and also stretching the fabric when it's wet and sewing, cutting.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 AM

Like the previous responses, I do my spritzing at the ironing board...I press and starch my fabrics before cutting so there is no reason to spritz again until I have pieced them. Then I take a pile of chain pieces to the ironing board to press at one time.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:08 AM

I agree with Tartan. I also have a little wooden iron by my machine. Amazingly it works!