Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Spritzing While You Work

Spritzing While You Work

I like to keep a water spray bottle near the sewing machine where I'm piecing. It's easier to spritz with a little water to smooth out the wrinkles, than it is to get up, go to the iron, plug it in and wait for it to heat up. Dampening the fabric also helps keep the layers together and prevents the ruler from slipping and sliding around. Right now, I use a regular 1 quart size spray bottle, but I'd like to find something that creates a finer mist, like a cosmetic spritzer. Does anyone else spritz while you work?

~ C

Do you sew wet fabric? Have a small iron by machine?

I keep a spritz bottle in the ironing station starch stash. Best Press, Niagra spray (white bottle) plus Niagra Heavy (spray can all waiting on a small tray. Yes, I do spritz a wayward seam lightly with water and then iron. This is done on the ironing station and not near my machine.

No water by machine. I seldom take drinks into the room even though I have drink cups with lids.

I don't spritz at the machine. Like Rhonda, I keep a water bottle at the ironing board.

You can find nice spray bottles that spritz a fine spray at Sally Beauty Supply. I just looked at their website and it looks like they come in 2 sizes. $7 to $11.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/salon-eq...ottles#start=1
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    check your local quilt shop--mine has a new bottle (this summer) that has a very fine mist.

I always get up to iron. It is one way to get some movement to keep from getting stiff.

Power Poster
    ​I spritz when I iron, not at my machine. I finger press at my machine.

I found a spritz bottle like cashs_mom at Amazon and it works beautifully. Very super fine mist. I use it at the ironing board not at my machine. If I remember correctly it is in the beauty supply section.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I got my spray bottles at Sally's. They were much less expensive than the $7-11 mentioned above. They were more in the range of a couple of dollars. They often run specials of buy one, get one. Salon Care is the brand.
    I spritz at the ironing board. I would be concerned about having water close to my machine and also stretching the fabric when it's wet and sewing, cutting.

Blog Entries
    Like the previous responses, I do my spritzing at the ironing board...I press and starch my fabrics before cutting so there is no reason to spritz again until I have pieced them. Then I take a pile of chain pieces to the ironing board to press at one time.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Tartan. I also have a little wooden iron by my machine. Amazingly it works!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to lose weight so I try to combine a little exercise in with sewing. I have a Fitbit so every time I get up to iron a seam I walk in place about 25 steps, or more if I have to wait for the iron to heat up. In winter I stay in Florida where I live in a small Mobil home. My sewing room is on the opposite end of the house from the laundry room where the ironing board is set up. I could set up an ironing board closer but I don't cuz I need the exersize. However, I do wait until I have 3 or 4 pieces to iron before making the trip.

=
    these are the ones I got from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I love the fine mist I get with these. One in the sewing room and the other two have cleaning products in them.

I got my spray bottles at my beauty shop. About $3.00.
    These bottles give a fine spray. No water droplets.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Just be careful. Some fabrics can bleed. I even found that some embroidery thread bled a little.

"Making a Quilt and not showing it is like writing a song and not singing it..."

I spritz at the ironing board. I've stopped using steam in my iron because I have a feeling that's why they conk out. Not sure though, just a hunch.

I spritz at the machine with bottles I bought at Dollar Tree. I like having two so I don't have to refill as often.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    I spritz at the ironing board, doesn't take that long for iron to heat and I usually have several things to press.

Best Press is at my ironing station. Keeps me moving a bit if needed.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I just showed the picture to my husband. We keep one in the bathroom. It is the febreeze One. Has a nice deodorizer in it. Identical to the ones shown in the $18 ad for three of them.
    Life is Good!