Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please

Quote Originally Posted by sno
    It didn't even occur to me, that I could be cutting it wrong..
    By looking at this diagram..the first cut would be where fabric 1 is at the bottom, and fabric 2 is at the top.
    As I look at the pattern I am now trying to figure out the second cut...I just wanted you to know that my cuts where different, but again I have no pattern...
    A BIG BIG THANK YOU...
    We can work through this!!!
    That's just one pattern, not necessarily the right one :)

As long as when you move the fabrics you keep them in order (so top always goes to the bottom, and if blue is right before red, blue always stays right before red, all you need to worry about is that each top fabric is different. So don't worry about the middle top, middle bottom, etc. If you see in a pile that blue is on top when you already have a blue on top, move him to the bottom. Oh there's red, now he's on top, but you have a different piece with red on top, so move him to the bottom. Now purple's on top, oh great, he's new, leave him.

Just as long as you keep moving the piles like that, it should work with different colors. Since they're staying in the same order, if blue is on top, then the pile next to it with red on top will ALWAYS have different fabrics in the 11 blocks all the way through. Does that make sense? Try it that way, where you just keep moving tops until you get a new one and it should work

Here is a question for you, are you wanting to construct it like THIS http://patchwork-of-mini-grey.blogsp...-tutorial.html minus the little white sashing, and with a star instead of just a nine patch?

But using the same concept to cut and sew, cut and sew, cut and sew?

sno

YES..YES...YES...
    I have actually made that quilt!!
    And it was after I made that quilt...that I saw the pattern of which I am now seeking..there was a quilt store in Dodge Nebraska that had the pattern...
    The quilt store in Dodge Nebraska is now closed.

was it a commercial pattern?

In a book? leaflet? hand out?

sno

They also had it on display...
    You know now that I am thinking about...they had 12 blocks in the quilt..so there must of been 12 pieces of fabric used, but only 11 pieces of fabric in each block...hmmm...

sno

Leaflet...
    Where you only buy the pattern...
    Nice little picture on the front..instructions in the plactic bag...

Buggy Barn sells a pattern for doing the same to a square, maybe after reading those instructions, you could do the same for the star?

sno

JUSTWANNAQUILT....

YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!!!
    THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU...

Yes...I can not believe it!!!
    You are the best....
    This is it!!1

sno

Ok...I got so excited by looking at the design...I didn't even read it...
    or really look at it...there are repeated fabric in the stars, and the one I saw had no repeats of fabric...

There are repeats because she only used six layers of fabric, which produced six blocks!

You can use either 11 fabrics and have one block for each fabric that is in the quilt, or you can layer 12 fabrics and not every block will have every fabric! but you will have an even number of blocks for your quilt instead of an odd number!

The more fabrics you add the less pieces are going to be repeated, and if you use the same number of fabrics as you do blocks you won't have any repeats!

*jumping up and down*

As long as you keep them in order and always have a different color at the top of each pile, I swear you'll have 11 different colors in 11 fabric positions with no repeats!! Just keep moving fabrics to the bottom if repeats show up. It solves your problem where the same fabric will appear. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Have you got it figured out now?

sno

Thanks again to everyone...
    But I still have the same problem...
    How do I shuffle them...
    If I just shuffle to the very bottom...I swear..there are repeats in fabric..
    There is only one certain order..something like..after the first cut..move the first one to the bottom...after the second cut....move it three from bottom...etc...
    Once you have eight fabrics in the block..finding the other three..that are not in that block..that will make the correct cut..is what is driving me crazy...
    But thank-you to everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by sno
    Thanks again to everyone...
    But I still have the same problem...
    How do I shuffle them...
    If I just shuffle to the very bottom...I swear..there are repeats in fabric..
    There is only one certain order..something like..after the first cut..move the first one to the bottom...after the second cut....move it three from bottom...etc...
    Once you have eight fabrics in the block..finding the other three..that are not in that block..that will make the correct cut..is what is driving me crazy...
    But thank-you to everyone...
    Okay, I've been thinking about this. If you make a cut, shuffle and sew you're not going to shuffle 11 times because there aren't 11 cuts.

You have to cut it all at once. Use freezer paper to make a couple of copies of your pattern and stick it to the top piece of fabric in a couple of stacks. Make all the cuts. Then you pick a different piece of fabric from each section for each block. Several people in my guild did a similar quilt with hearts and that's how it was done.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    Sno - I borrowed this image from the link provided earlier. I added numbers.

Tell me how they are divided up after each cut. Please type as simply as possible, and don't move any fabrics yet. I can figure this out! I've walked students through word problems, I can figure this out dangit! :!:

So from you, I want something like:

1st cut: 1-8 on one side, 9-11 on other
    2nd cut: 1-5, 6-8, 9-11

That way, I can see that you have a piece, after the first cut, that will eventually turn into 1-8, and after the second cut 9-11. Then I see your 2nd cut breaks up 1-8 so 1-5 are now on 1 piece of fabric, and 6-8 are on a 2nd, with 9-11 not doing anything

If you can understand what I said, and give me that, I think I can tell you what to do :D

And again, don't start moving fabrics yet! I just care about what each cut will give you.
    Does this drawing illustrate what you are trying to do/achieve?

Do you remember how many different fabric you start out with/need?

sno

I know I just can't explain correctly...
    I don't have the pattern...
    But this is how I think the cuts should go...
    The first cut...bottom right hand corner to the center of the top..
    The second cut..bottom left hand corner to the center of the top...
    The third cut..bottom of the left hand corner over to the right side about 1/4 of the way down from the right top...
    The forth cut...bottom of the right hand corner to to the left side about 1/4 of the way down from the left top....
    The last cut...from the left 1/4 of the way down top over to the right side 1/4 of the way down cut...

That illustration..shows the cut differently and I can't for the life of me figure the cutting formation with that illustration...

Since there are 11 fabrics in the star I just assume it was 11 fabrics..but as I think about it..and this makes since...you probably 12 fabrics..to have 12 blocks..and that would make the quilt...

I know I am talking in circles...maybe I will figure it out...

I have made a stack and whack quilt with a 7-year old friend.... this is essentially the same thing.

Do what is described here. Cut all first, hopefully several at a time.
    Stack them all up -- and then follow what is said here about moving pieces to the bottom. I cut, did the shuffle, and then we sewed each block one at a time and had no problem with repeating fabrics in any given block....

By the way, the 7-year-old is now in her teens and designs and sews all of her own clothes and some for her mom.... I love getting to pass this passion for fabric and sewing on!!!!

Trust me - - if you look at it too much, you will become confused .
    Layer the fabrics
    Make the cuts - - there will be eleven stacks, each with eleven different colors in each stack ... or, eleven stacks with FIFTEEN different colors ... you are the human, you have superiority over all inanimate objects, they have to do what you say! If you want twelve blocks, then by all means! Use twelve different fabrics ...
    Then you must shuffle the "deck" - - first stack, put top piece on the bottom. Second stack move two pieces from top to bottom ... third stack, three pieces put to the back of the deck (from top to bottom)
    Work through each stack, moving the matching number of pieces from the top to the bottom as the order that you are picking them up to shuffle the pieces.

The reason that you are getting stumped is: you want to cut, shuffle, sew, then cut again ... and shuffle, sew, and then cut again ...
    I don't know how that will turn out, and it might very well work ... but, I do know that the quilters who have written about the "stack and whack" or "shuffle the deck" ... have a process that will get you what you want.

now I have a question, and I am just going to go do what I just said to PROVE that you don't have to get to the point where you are moving FOURTEEN pieces to make fifteen blocks that are all different ... in the meantime ... listen to the ones that have actually done this!
    I shall return in an hour to report on my findings!

okay, so I am fudging, but could the name of your quilt you are looking for called:

Pointless Wonder

???
    I still think you are getting hung up on process ... I promise ... what the others are telling you will work :wink:

hi,
    the stacking concept is what Karla Alexander uses in her Stack a New Deck book. Maybe the library has a copy you could review. Good luck.

sno

YOU GUYS REALLY ARE THE BEST!!
    Without your help I would have never figured it out...but after many many diagram drawings I finally GOT IT!!
    I got the stack and whack shuffle the way it needs to go....
    I needed to use 12 fabrics instead of 11...but
    I finally got 11 different fabrics in one star, and only using 5 cuts...
    It was hard and my brain hurts...but it was worth it...
    now I just need to go try it...but it works on paper...

EXCELLENT! Aren't you the clever one, though, to do it with PAPER ...
    of course you have change my life forever, but that is a whole new story.
    The progress I am making (following the stack and slash website provided by .. oh, who knows??? )
    I thought I was making the first cut correctly ... but alas ... it wasn't, and there is no way it is going to be a star, but I just kept slashing until I had eleven pieces.
    Now, all I have to do is shuffle ...
    oh ... that part where it looks like the top layer is two different fabrics? Well, that is because I wouldn't change my rotary cutting blade ... not to worry ... I will put them right before shuffling ... I just wanted you to see what I had managed in all of these ... how many minutes?
    I have to go take the picture. :roll:

actually, I have seen a quilt made with pieces like this with the black "leading" between each piece ... fittingly called "stack the deck for a crazy quilt" .... back to the work.
    You have to know that the rotary cutter I am using was purchased by my daughter YEARS ago so that I could actually make a quilt like this, and I just never got around to it ... I guess the time has come ... still considering the leading, but for now, we are interested in the process ... and, I will complete it, even though the original poster no longer needs my input ... I think it is in my job description somewhere, but since I haven't finished writing the contract, I will do the best I can with what I have. 8)

slash and shuffle ... just getting it cut was an adventure ... of course it was! I was the one cutting
    Name:  Attachment-8345.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  39.9 KB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast