Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please >

Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please

Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please

Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
sno

This is my diagram...I don't know if it is going to make since..
TWELVE DIFFERENT FABRICS ARE USED...

This is my diagram..
Let's see if anyone can make since of it, besides me...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17456[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17456.jpe  
Old 10-22-2009, 01:03 PM
sno

I can always use your imput....
And thank you...for all your time and effort...
I started out with using fabrics..but when I didn't get what I wanted...I moved to cutting paper and taping....
When that didn't work...I just started drawing...
I was ready to give up..and go to plan B....
Thank you~Thank you~Thank you!!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 PM

I apologize for not cutting the star, but I am going to post to show ... what I discovered along the way .... nahhh ... I won't post all 24 pictures, but I do want to report that by cutting all the pieces, numbering each stack, moving that number to the bottom of the stack, even though I was using fifteen fabrics, did indeed accomplish fifteen different blocks, even though not all the fifteen fabrics will show up in any one block ... and, I will try to label the tips as I go, so shall we begin?

This is all the pieces cut, and putting the first one on the bottom ....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45425[/ATTACH]

This is when I realized that I am probably not going to like my monchromatic monster
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45900[/ATTACH]

By this time, I wasn't counting how many I was putting to the bottom. I just went down to the fabric until I got to the one below the color that was on top of the last stack I had shuffled
[ATTACH=CONFIG]47703[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45425.jpe   attachment-45900.jpe   attachment-47703.jpe  
Old 10-22-2009, 01:51 PM

So for tips, I have a few - - Use a brand new blade in your rotary cutter.
The 60mm cutter will cut through fifteen layers of fabric like knife through butter, but only if it is sharp ... otherwise, it is a crappy shoot!
Use colors that definitely contrast, and when you are stacking them in preparation for cutting, go through your stack, making sure that the lights and darks are alternated ... or the contrasts are alternated. It may even be a good idea to carry out a color path or something, cuz what I did, ain't none too purty :?
I don't know if any of the samples will show up, but there was one piece that was smaller than the others ... bummer! I made sure that the short piece was in one area and I will think about what to with that tomorrow (Scarlett OHara is alive and well <g>)
And, IRON each piece ... I rarely iron until I am sewing them together, but you may see in my samples that the non-ironed pieces were not a good idea.

I believe you can see the short piece on the left side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48001[/ATTACH]

This is when I realized that I had NOT cut enough times for eleven different pieces ... oh, joy!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48059[/ATTACH]

And, this is the 24th picture in the series and the last block of the shuffle ... it is an interesting concept ... and I believe you will also find this technique in "Turning Twenty" series
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48087[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48001.jpe   attachment-48059.jpe   attachment-48087.jpe  
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
sno

Because of you...I know now to alternate the light and darks...
Brand new rotary blade had now been added to my list...
I think I am ready to go buy my fat quarters...
Thank you for posting all your pictures..even though it is not going to be a star...it still going to be very pretty....and you taught me a lot...
I can't believe you did all of that for just some poster...thanks ♥
Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 PM

You are very welcome.
While I was working on this project, DD came out to the bunkhouse, just looking around. I reminded her of when she had bought the rotary cutter ... she didn't remember for awhile - - you need to know that I use that cutter a LOT! so, I was constantly being reminded of why I owned one in the first place ...
when she remembered, she looked at my project and sort of shook her head, and then she said: You know what? You ought to cut out a kit and use that for the next dinner and auction ... you can cut the kit, bag it all up with some instructions, and let them bid on it!
Which is a very good idea, but if they don't pay enough for the kit, I am NOT going to sew it for them! NOT NOT NOT !!!
It was a good suggestion, though, and I am really pleased that she thinks enough of what I am doing and who I am working with to do input ...
I like input, too <g>
Old 10-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations to both of you sno and omak!!! I love your blocks omak, I think it will make a great quilt!! I have this on my to try list :D :D :D
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

My little mind got totally lost at the idea of SEWING first and then cutting.

Congratulations on figuring it out. I'm still scratching my head.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 PM

YOU'LL DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ME DOING THIS QUILT.I'M SO CONFUSED ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING I'D GO BONKERS JUST TRYING TI GET IT TOGETHER. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 PM

LOL .. .you would do it just fine!
It is a matter of making sure you have more fabrics than you make cuts.
You don't have to do a star, or a jumble of anything! Stack the fabric, make your cuts, shuffle the deck, and sew it all together!
Easy, peasy ...
what sno did was stack his fabric, make a cut, shuffle the deck, sew it all back together, and then make the next cut, shuffled again and sewed it all back together ...
If you look at a turning twenty technique, it is the same concept! take twenty fat quarters, cut them sqare, cut in half, cut one section in half, cut one section in half again ... then, shuffle the stacks (all straight cuts by the way) ... then sew them all back together!
just a different way to make a scrappy nine patch ...
does any of that make any sense??? LOL