Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please >

Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please

Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

OK OMak.....I am a little concerned that you don't believe those of us who use all of our scraps???
I am cutting sorting and organizing all of my scraps ..have been for the last month and I am just sure by the end of the year I wont have any scraps left--I plan to use all of them...so I can start a new batch. I will bring my empty tub to the shop so you can see it for proof...lol.

P.S. I Love Bonnie's blog......I have used her patterns before!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:05 AM

So glad Omak and Sno solved the problem. Now I'm waiting for Sno to get that quilt sewn together and a picture posted!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
So glad Omak and Sno solved the problem. Now I'm waiting for Sno to get that quilt sewn together and a picture posted!
DITTOES! LOL
Old 10-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
This thread is making my brain ITCH! :lol: AAAAAh! It reminds me of something I purchased when I first began quilting. I wanted to do a crazy quilt. I had always liked SEEING them, but it never occured to me that I could actually MAKE one. So along comes Sharlene Jorgenson on one of the quilting shows on TV.She had a plan. She had a pattern. So I bought the book and the templates. The idea behind the whole thing is basically the same thing that is being discussed on this thread. 8 pieces of fabric are stacked and cut using the templates. THEN THE FABRICS ARE SORTED SO THAT THERE IS ONE OF EACH FABRIC IN EACH BLOCK. The suggestion of laying out all blocks as was suggested earlier in this thread is illustrated in the book. The book is CRAZY QUILT (as seen on Quilting from the Heartland) by Sharlene Jorgenson.

As I mentioned several times in other threads, I am not good at "random" so I thought this would be something that would give me a plan, a layout. Of course, I purchased this in 1998 and still am "meaning" to do it. It seems to be something similar to what is being discussed with the star. Has anyone ever seen or used it. The idea is the same as with the star. Remove the top layer and place at the bottom of the stack. Not sure how it works. :?
We just spent a couple days discussing it! It works because in each stack, you move one more layer than you moved in the stack before it.
Actually, I don't know why it works, it just works, and sometimes, I don't need to know why ... I am just very grateful for whoever was creative enough to make a PLAN and share it with others ... LOL Know what I mean?
However, I am probably responding so much to this "issue" because like you, I have control issues :roll:
Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by dizzy
OK Girl i just got through with a bunch of looking an came back an seen the last message.An yes that would work an I wouldn't have to work with all them little squares for very long.
One other thing about the Indian Hatchet block or any block where you are going to do that "sew a square in the corner" technique?
Take the extra time and energy to move your needle over that half inch so that when you trim off the extra fabric? You will have created a half-square triangle unit, with a minimum of effort.
We will not even go to that place where I tell you how small of HST I have made with this technique, but I want you to know that they are NOT scraps! ... just little blocks waiting to grow up! :wink:
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
OK OMak.....I am a little concerned that you don't believe those of us who use all of our scraps???
I am cutting sorting and organizing all of my scraps ..have been for the last month and I am just sure by the end of the year I wont have any scraps left--I plan to use all of them...so I can start a new batch. I will bring my empty tub to the shop so you can see it for proof...lol.

:shock: B-U-S-T-E-D !!!
DId I say a disparaging word about people possibly never being able to use up all their squares???
But, if I am understanding your process correctly, you are organizing one container, and - - now you know where your scraps are ... right? LOL
I will be looking forward to your empty tub, and the project you have used your scraps in! :wink:
Old 10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
sno

[quote=JoanneS]So glad Omak and Sno solved the problem. Now I'm waiting for Sno to get that quilt sewn together and a picture posted![/quote]

I have started my project.....Once I get done I will post the pictures and the how to...That is if it does work....
Old 10-25-2009, 07:22 PM

As I am working on my sample of the technique, I picked up another tip:
always cut a straight edge on the pieces you are putting together before joining the next section ... and, because of the angles you are cutting, there will be uneven edges ... so handle yourself accordingly.

Also ... for those on the periphery, watching and wondering, I came up with an idea ... forget all the angles ... you can do this same thing with straight lines .... as in, a nine patch? or just about any block, I am thinking ... back to the sewing machine.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by dizzy
OK Girl i just got through with a bunch of looking an came back an seen the last message.An yes that would work an I wouldn't have to work with all them little squares for very long.
One other thing about the Indian Hatchet block or any block where you are going to do that "sew a square in the corner" technique?
Take the extra time and energy to move your needle over that half inch so that when you trim off the extra fabric? You will have created a half-square triangle unit, with a minimum of effort.
We will not even go to that place where I tell you how small of HST I have made with this technique, but I want you to know that they are NOT scraps! ... just little blocks waiting to grow up! :wink:
What I like about this idea, is when the blocks are all sewn together you have the makings of a really nice border almost done...add a few solid blocks the same size, or rectangles.... :wink: :D
Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

State

charismah wrote:

B-U-S-T-E-D !!!
DId I say a disparaging word about people possibly never being able to use up all their squares???
But, if I am understanding your process correctly, you are organizing one container, and - - now you know where your scraps are ... right? LOL
I will be looking forward to your empty tub, and the project you have used your scraps in!

:-) lol..so funny!
Well I am organizing them so I can use them I have plans for what I am doing with them and I have many projects for them... years of scraps...My BFF doesn't believe in saving scraps so I have kept hers over the years as well..which is not as much as my own stash but definatly adds to them. I have a system as to what I am going to do with them and I have started sketches of what kind of quilts I will use them in....one problem I am only using my good fabrics ....I do have some scraps of wal mart fabric that I only use in craft projects for the kids or whatever--thinking that could be my next challenge after the first of the year...just try to get rid of all of it ...we shall see.