Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stain Glass Quilt Class !! >

Stain Glass Quilt Class !!

Stain Glass Quilt Class !!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 AM

Hope you have a wonderful time!! :)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:28 PM

We had a great time in class today!! Been going and visiting different guilds and we found one that isn't too far and they seem to have much fun (and no obvious drama queens! Good thing!LOL) Now....when I showed up for class, I had in my basket all my necessary supplies from glue to needles and even my kid's Crayola lightbox (bought years ago for kid tracing and paid $10!) but, this newbie forgot her pattern she was going to use! So my very new and kind neighbor next to me shared her angel she had for the class(so I improvised!)...and, here's what we learned!

We traced the background fabric in the pattern outline(using a light source to do it)...including the outside edge of pieces or sections of stained glass. Then we traced our freezer paper (for a stencil) the object we had in the middle...mine was this great angel...ironed the cut out unto the back (wrong side)of the fabric of subject...cut out on the edge...no selvages. right on the line. Then I traced in my white pencil on the front of my angel what will be her skirt lines which my bias will be there to make stained glass.

Then the same thing w/all other extras...in my case that was the halo, face, hair and hand...again, freezer paper..cut out on edge...thennnnn...we peeled (I ripped because of all the excitement)off the paper...then glued a smidgen (that means just a bit for non-country folk)in the middle of the subject to hold in place on background.

Now...make your bias if you don't have any ready already...I am using a black batik w/swatches of curvy christmas trees for texture and hopefully will look like imperfections in my metal of the stain glass. Once bias is ready (I used 1/4" bias and used my Clover bias maker to make it) This is where thinking has to come in to play...you need to think of what bias line will be over the top of another....go for the bottom of the pile to put on first. I pinned...then blind hem by hand both sides....if you have a great curve-do the inside always first! Now, I do hope this makes sense for I might be on a smidgen of carb overload..for there was this awesome pineapple something to eat and then someone else brought homemade cinn. rolls! Oh, and the coffee.....and, conversation...all good!:)Was a super great day and learned much! Can't wait till next month...we are doing something w/stitching on a drawn subject.....I have no clue...but, guess what...I am going to learn it!! It is free and we have a great teacher!:)

Sorry this is so long...and, it may seem like I did not get much done in a few hours...but, actually I did:)And, then there was that pineapple thing...:)Oh, and when the guild meeting actually started...we heard a program on using scraps to quilt and one on crazy quilting...awesome! Now...I hope you can make sense out of my project in the making:)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Here it is coming along:)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-6325.jpe  
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM

WOW thanks for all of the info!!! That is so awesome and looks great! :D :D Good job and sounds like you had a great time besides!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Isn't this just too fun! I hope you had fun reading about it and someone that teaches this stain glass should do a tute for all to learn....! This gal will be blessed for many fat quarters in sharing her gift of knowlege w/all us that unloaded sponge brains!:)One of the best things I did learn today...is this!...Are you sure you are ready?!! Is it is actually a really GOOD thing to have multiple projects going at once for one day you might feel like applique and the next you might just want to sew on your machine or the next day....well, you get it and the 2 friends that I took had to smile at me for they are always making fun that I have more then one (I never admit more then that ...but, it is more!)project going at once...so, ha! I said to them....the teacher is always right!:)Hope you learned a bit here today too...Glad to share-Skeat
Old 10-06-2009, 02:43 PM

Hahaha that is too funny. I really did enjoy reading it all and I cant wait to give it a shot! I am definitely like you. I like to have more than one thing going on at once because you are exactly right, you are not always in the mood to do one certain type of thing!! Teacher is ALWAYS right!! :D :D
Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Oh, and one more amazing thing....there was a gal that brought hers in already done and she used the double needle (I think I have one for my machine!) and stitched all hers w/this....looked totally amazing and very, very neat!! Okay...I think I am going to hug my fabric for awhile:)Skeat
Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM

Skeat, your angel is beautiful. I can't wait to see her completed!
Maybe one of these days I will get some of my projects done and start something new-er! lol I would start something new now, there is no shame in my game BUT I have no place to put any more WIPs!! LOL

I even have my "Grandmother's Flower Garden" hiding in a shoe box between the couch and the wall!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Skeat....how did she stitch it with the double needle? I love to use it...well I did in the class that taught me how to use it, but other than hemming my DH's pants...I haven't been able to use it.

BTW...that class sure sounds like a blast...enjoy!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Aaaawwww, I love your angel. I really love batiks, but have been to scared to try anything with them. I have a few fat quarters of them and I just love to look at them(I know I'm weird like that). Glad you had fun, once you are done you should post a tut on it. :D :D :D :D