Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Star blocks?

Blog Entries
    Terri Atkinson's "Lucky Star" pattern is a good one that doesn't lose the points.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Is there good instructions for making a star block and not cutting off the points? The one I am making now , was using a 4" background block and putting a 2 " blue block in each corner, stitching through both sides of the center line, cut them in half diaginal and then putting another 2" blue block in the other corner and sew . I lost a lot of points in the seams.
    Conjuring up the concept of making a few squares (maybe 4 by 4 inch finished square ) of stars to serves as part of the bottom of a skirt for one of my dolls 4 kids with cancer. It would be something I could do just now and then. The skirt pattern is 48 inches in width, so 12 of them stitched side by side would work nicely and use up some smaller scraps. HUMMMMMMMMMMMM. I also think one could save money by using a computer program to make thangles at home, or just draw out your own, Adding one inch or making a 5 inch square into a thangle. Use that cheap tissue paper from the dollar store for a template if one wanted, but I think a thin cardboard would serve best as the original 5 inch square to make a 'thangle' from. Hope this isn't clear as mud. Maybe I 'll try that concept to make a different look for a couple dolls. Thanks for the idea, Purple Passion.

Vickey

I agree with bj above - on one of Alex Anderson's Simply quilts show, a viewer asked your question and the response was to skip the 7/8" bit and just make the square a full inch larger than needed. It adds the extra step of cutting it down to size but it's no fun to get to the step where you square up your half square triangle and find that it's too small...
    Thangles work well. I also have Triangulations CD by Brenda Henning that lets you print out a foundation for whatever size you need but this adds the cost of the CD, paper and the most expensive printer ink.
    It is important to sew with a precise scant 1/4" seam but if you have tried and
    are still having trouble, then the cheapest solution is to cut 4" squares to get
    3.5" HalfSquare triangles and not 3-7/8".
    Console yourself that there would not be so many products out there if this were as easy as it seemed to be before you tried it.

The easiest way I have found to make those star points is to use the method of sewing two squares together on all sides with right sides together, 1/4 in. seam all around. Cut on diagonal to make 4 half square triangles (hst). then just turn those hst around a square of the same material and get all those points without cutting off anything. There is a stream on this site that give you the measurement for the squares in order to get the correct size hst. Missouri quilt also has a youtube demo to do the hst that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I find if I make mine a little larger and trim to size, I don't lose my points as much. If it says start with a square that is 3 7/8", I cut mine 4".
    Me too. It's always better to cut down. I also sew a scant 1/4 inch and make sure the point intersection is outside the seam line. Your eye catches a cut off point much faster than a little bit of the background fabric showing through.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Is there good instructions for making a star block and not cutting off the points? The one I am making now , was using a 4" background block and putting a 2 " blue block in each corner, stitching through both sides of the center line, cut them in half diaginal and then putting another 2" blue block in the other corner and sew . I lost a lot of points in the seams.
    If you can find a paper pieced pattern for stars, that helps alot in maintaining your points! Google "paper pieced star patterns"

Power Poster
    I like watterstrides.

Quote Originally Posted by gwanma
    The easiest way I have found to make those star points is to use the method of sewing two squares together on all sides with right sides together, 1/4 in. seam all around. Cut on diagonal to make 4 half square triangles (hst). then just turn those hst around a square of the same material and get all those points without cutting off anything. There is a stream on this site that give you the measurement for the squares in order to get the correct size hst. Missouri quilt also has a youtube demo to do the hst that way.
    This works beautifully! I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I don't buy thangles and things like that because of the cost.
    OK, what's are "thangles"?

Quote Originally Posted by gwanma
    that method works really well. do you know how to determine the size of the UNFINISHED hst? what size square do you have to start with to get what size unfinished hst? i never know how to relate the methods to pattern instructions, so i end up using traditional methods. if the instructions say to use a 3-7/8 square, cut in half diagonally and sew two ......blah, blah.... what are they saying in terms of the method you describe?
    what size squares would you start with to get the equivalent of 1/2 of the 3-7/8 square?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2