Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Star blocks?

Is there good instructions for making a star block and not cutting off the points? The one I am making now , was using a 4" background block and putting a 2 " blue block in each corner, stitching through both sides of the center line, cut them in half diaginal and then putting another 2" blue block in the other corner and sew . I lost a lot of points in the seams.

Blog Entries
    Depends on the pattern you are looking for...

Blog Entries
    I used "thangles" when i did this quilt pattern called "milky way". i actually did 2 of them, one for a firemans raffle and one for Ronald McDonald house raffle.
    it is Fat quarter friendly..

you can get them at a Quilt shop or on line at
    http://www.thangles.com/

i know there are easier and better ways, but i really liked the way they turned out..i rarely do the same pattern twice, but i liked it to much.i just had too!

Red white and blue
    Name:  Attachment-115127.bmp
Views: 128
Size:  675.1 KB

close up
    Name:  Attachment-115128.jpe
Views: 163
Size:  49.5 KB

done in batiks..
    Name:  Attachment-115129.jpe
Views: 127
Size:  46.7 KB

bj
    I find if I make mine a little larger and trim to size, I don't lose my points as much. If it says start with a square that is 3 7/8", I cut mine 4".

Watterstide, where did you get that pattern. I like those .

Blog Entries
    I don't buy thangles and things like that because of the cost.

I really think the major thing is to keep a consistant 1/4" seam.

If you have a problem with losing your points, I was watching a Kaye Wood video. Her suggestion, (which to me would be kind of a pain) was to sew on the side where you can see your points and don't sew them off. The part which would take longer is that if there are points on both top and bottom she suggests you sew the tips on one side, turn it over and sew the seam again, so that you can watch the other points and not cut them off. It sounds like a lot of work, but if you are doing something you really want your points on you might want to take the extra time and do this. At least you would't be unsewing your points and doing them again.

If it has flying geese type sections, I will often make these hst and then sew them in two to make the flying geese.
    I prefer this, but there are many ways to do them.

Good luck!
    Something to think about.

You need to make sure you are using a SCANT 1/4" seam so that you are sewing just a fraction beyond your points. This allows for the space taken up by the fabric folding back from the sewn seam when you press it open.

I hope that doesn't sound too confusing.

Blog Entries
    Cost is a factor, even for me..but i had never done stars before, and i was not very confident in myself at the time!they are a couple years old.. lol

quilt pattern called "milky way"
    i got it from thier website..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    I used "thangles" when i did this quilt pattern called "milky way". i actually did 2 of them, one for a firemans raffle and one for Ronald McDonald house raffle.
    it is Fat quarter friendly..

you can get them at a Quilt shop or on line at

i know there are easier and better ways, but i really liked the way they turned out..i rarely do the same pattern twice, but i liked it to much.i just had too!
    I downloaded a cheap program that let's you print out half square triangles. You get a decent selection of sizes. Have a look--might be cheaper than thangles.

http://www.quiltpro.com/page/productMain

Power Poster
    Great quilts!

Blog Entries
    My tips for making HST's and not losing the points

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23252-1.htm

I don't know how to post a picture but I made a "star" quilt that was really called hexagon puzzle. It used triangles and was a 6 pointed star. I wish I could send you a picture.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    Cost is a factor, even for me..but i had never done stars before, and i was not very confident in myself at the time!they are a couple years old.. lol

quilt pattern called "milky way"
    i got it from thier website..
    I wasn't criticizing. I just have myself in a pickle now that I am widowed. I have to start watching every penny I spend with heating bills in the very near future.

I used the directions here http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...star_quilt.htm when I made my first star block.

I love the easy method they describe for making half square triangles
    http://quilting.about.com/od/quickpi...squaretria.htm

Hope these help. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    My favorite is using Eleanor Burns Flying Geese tool. I think it's around $7.95 at Joanne's so using a coupon makes it even cheaper. I have never lost a point since I started using it.

Your star quilt is beautiful I love the the red, white and blue one. :thumbup:

The other one is pretty too.

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I find if I make mine a little larger and trim to size, I don't lose my points as much. If it says start with a square that is 3 7/8", I cut mine 4".
    This is what I do to. I still lose the occasional point here and there but not so much of it that it is glaringly obvious and in the big scheme of things I really think I'm the only one that notices.

I've made lots of star blocks. Make sure you're sewing 1/4" seams. VERY important with stars. Measure your seam with a tape measure...

When you sew a star point onto a strip (or another star block)....look at the star block. Is your seam on the inside of where the seam lines are for the point? the seamline should cross right at the X of the point.

a lot of the time that I loose my points is when I have a wonky cut of fabric. cutting your fabric right is the most important part and I found that starching helps a ton also. I am working on a pattern that is called a seaside star. will post a pic of one of them in a moment. and there are tons of points. I am getting really good at them. watching your seems and lining everything up carefully and watching the x of the point is also important. I find that if i sew just at the top if the middle of the x it will lay right when there is a bit of bulk also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the star quilts and blocks.

I'm no help as I lost some of the points in my block the other day and am too woozy to work on it and figure it out. :P

Blog Entries
    Love those blocks. Where does the pattern come from?

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Is there good instructions for making a star block and not cutting off the points? The one I am making now , was using a 4" background block and putting a 2 " blue block in each corner, stitching through both sides of the center line, cut them in half diaginal and then putting another 2" blue block in the other corner and sew . I lost a lot of points in the seams.
    I am making these star blocks for a swap. Very easy to put together and no problem with the points. Not sure if this is what you had in mind as these are made with jelly rolls and fabric or as I did, cut my own 2 1/2 inch strips. Got this from a tutorial on Youtube from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    a lot of the time that I loose my points is when I have a wonky cut of fabric. cutting your fabric right is the most important part and I found that starching helps a ton also. I am working on a pattern that is called a seaside star. will post a pic of one of them in a moment. and there are tons of points. I am getting really good at them. watching your seems and lining everything up carefully and watching the x of the point is also important. I find that if i sew just at the top if the middle of the x it will lay right when there is a bit of bulk also.

beautiful blocks!
    thanks for the tips on not loosing your points! i lost a couple points even using the thangles.
    if anyone looks at my quilts that close..i will snatch it back! ROFL!

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie2
    Love those blocks. Where does the pattern come from?
    i got it from the jinney beyer website. she has tons of free patterns. this one is called seaside star. it is her take on the mariners compass. she also has a mariners compass like one that I am starting to cut out to tackle. can't wait. think i might need one more fabric to make this. hubby will be upset but oh well. hehe i used batik and think that they add a new depth to them. but that is just me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast