Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a new Bargello >

Starting a new Bargello

Starting a new Bargello

Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

absolutely gorgeous..that last photo reminds me of the beach where the waves are coming to shore in the shallows. Thanks for posting your progress it has been enjoyable to see it coming together. Your beautiful quilt reminds me of my dear dad who recently passed away and his favourite color was blue and his favourite place the ocean...
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 AM

I think their great. Can't wait to see the finished quilt. Have fun!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by blahel View Post
absolutely gorgeous..that last photo reminds me of the beach where the waves are coming to shore in the shallows. Thanks for posting your progress it has been enjoyable to see it coming together. Your beautiful quilt reminds me of my dear dad who recently passed away and his favourite color was blue and his favourite place the ocean...
Isn't it wonderful to find our loved ones through memories? My father passed away years ago and I still find him in unexpected places. I'm glad you were reminded of him here
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by gigigray032447 View Post
Wave Bargello. Sorry my photo did not upload in the last post.
Love love love it!! Sorry, I'm just stalking here as I've only just discovered Bargello quilts and it's made my mind just go "POW" - I can't wait to try one ... one day. Sigh. Great colour choice, indeed. Congratulate that hubby of yours
Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM

This is looking gorgeous! I wasn't seeing it in the first couple of pictures but the picture when you were on a stool made it all come together. Thanks for keeping us all posted on your progress. It is really neat to see your quilt grow! Thanks to one of the earlier posters who explained why certain pieces wouldn't quite work. Seeing the fabrics in black and white and numbered made sense to me. Now I have another one on my bucket list!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM

I like it, I do think perhaps that there are too many light ones on the right side. Some of those look a bit too similar and you might lose some of the effect...
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM

Default It's Done!!!! (sort of)

Hello Everyone! I'm sorry that it's taken so long, but my PhD research has been eating up a lot of my time the past few months. I didn't forget about the quilt or this thread, it's just that progress was very slow. But today I knuckled down and finished the top! All of it! And I even managed to get a picture of it on our bed. It's very big, but will drape nicely over the sides of our very deep mattress with ease Enjoy! I certainly did! Now I just have to baste, quilt, and bind it, which I suspect might take me a month or so on my current schedule. I can knock the basting out in a weekend, and maybe even start the quilting. We'll see where my free time (if any) is. I'll post the finished product when I'm done!

For now, I'll celebrate a little!
Attached Thumbnails img_0318%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM

That is gorgeous! I can't imagine what it'll look like quilted. Job well done.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Thanks! My husband wants waves in the quilting. I was just going to do straight-line quilting like I've done with my other bargello quilt, but I guess I can give it a go. I'm debating whether I should try it on my small machine or rent time on a long-arm machine...I know I want to do the quilting myself.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 PM

My dog approves of my basting job

I'm not ashamed to admit that I used duct tape to keep the backing fabric taut whilst pinning. Also, I ran out of safety pins and had to get more. I had to use around 350 in all! I laid out flat on it and flattened the fabric between old and new pins going radially towards the corners. It's not perfectly square, but it's pretty darn close. One of the sides bows out *a little*, but I doubt someone else would notice. I'm pretty proud!

Just in case anyone was wondering, I did the math and there are 2,499 individual squares in this quilt! I plan on chalking out my waves pattern and quilting it this weekend. I'll let you know how my first foray into long-arm quilting goes...
Attached Thumbnails blue-waves-bargello-basted.jpg