Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a new business >

Starting a new business

Starting a new business

Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 PM

well here goes, I have tried rice bags, bean bags, and corn bags, like the kind you use for corn hole games,
and let me tell you, the rice bags turn into moist heat..which is nice if you need moist heat, but not nice if you are trying to warm up your feet. the bean bags, less than a minute in the microwave, start to smell.. the one bag i can say I like best is my corn bag. Yes it smells a little, but not as bad as the beans.
good luck
katz
Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 PM

I also recommend finding a niche. My friend has successfully sold the tied fleece blankets, however she concentrates entirely on dog prints-and sells them at dog shows. She has other handmade items in her booth as well of course. In my experience, most people prefer to buy "off the rack". You need to find product that isn't out there-easily available to the public. Make your item unique, desirable, charming-worthy of gift giving. Make sure you're selling a finished, complete project. Add the ribbon or tag. A lot of what I sell-even the handbags are purchased for gifts.
As a side note, another friend of mine made the corn and rice bags. She sold the rice bags specifically as a moist heat item. Know your product and market it well. Best wishes on your new business!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker View Post
I also recommend finding a niche. My friend has successfully sold the tied fleece blankets, however she concentrates entirely on dog prints-and sells them at dog shows. S
I agree with you here. If you could find very specialized hobbies/groups of people who are really dedicated to their "choice of hobby", then they will part with money for related items pertaining to it. However, something just like in Wart or Target only 3x as expensive, then forget it. Most of it aren't that dedicated to "buying Made in the USA"!

If someone really loves their hobby, or knows a friend who does, they will fork out the money for the item--very likely as a gift.