Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting new spools of thread >

Starting new spools of thread

Starting new spools of thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM

On the thread I buy there is a small slit in the top of the spool with the thread slipped in it. Of course the paper on the end is over the thread, and of course you have to find which end is the top. LOL !!!!! Then the end is so short it is hard to get it out of the slit.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by lucy78
also whitch way do you put it on , so that is coming off the spool right.?
Imagine a jar of peanut butter. You want to open it up and take out a huge spoon full. Which way did you turn the lid? My peanut butter un-screws by turning to the left, or counter-clockwise. When I want to put the lid back on I turn it to the right or clockwise so the ants don't invade it. Your spool is sitting there, minding it's own business and has decided to invade your peanut butter. NO! No! NO! you yell. I must protect my peanut butter. The spindle that the thread is perched upon is the jar of peanut butter. It unscrews by turning to the left (counter-clock wise). The thread must be placed so that it comes off the top and the spool is now turning clockwise. If you place it on facing the opposite direction, then your spindle will unscrew it self and send your spool shooting off into the abyss of the unknown. Your peanut butter will now be unprotected and you will have one of those WTF? moments. And the ants win. Is this clear? ;-)
Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Some are very frustrating to find the ends :roll:
I have been known to start cutting threads :lol::lol:
Don't do that ever again! :lol: Use the fingertips that you cut off of your gardening gloves to gently prod the end into submission. Sooner or later you will win. Yes, the end is secretly hidden under the paper top. Use a magnifying glass to find the slit if you have to. Vanity is not an option here. Most of the dye lot numbers are stamped on the top, the barcode is usually on the bottom. The evasive slit is usually found having tea with the dye lot number and they are laughing at you.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce L
On the thread I buy there is a small slit in the top of the spool with the thread slipped in it. Of course the paper on the end is over the thread, and of course you have to find which end is the top. LOL !!!!! Then the end is so short it is hard to get it out of the slit.
I had a spool last week that the thread tore when I tried getting it out of that little slit. I got a paring knife and dug open the slit more and then used a pin to dig the thread out. One more minute and it would have gone back to the store. I don't care if it was only 2.98!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM

LOLOLOL @ TonnieLoree. I do what amma does and cut threads - you only lose a small amount (but, you save your sanity).
Old 04-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by lucy78
also whitch way do you put it on , so that is coming off the spool right.?
Imagine a jar of peanut butter. You want to open it up and take out a huge spoon full. Which way did you turn the lid? My peanut butter un-screws by turning to the left, or counter-clockwise. When I want to put the lid back on I turn it to the right or clockwise so the ants don't invade it. Your spool is sitting there, minding it's own business and has decided to invade your peanut butter. NO! No! NO! you yell. I must protect my peanut butter. The spindle that the thread is perched upon is the jar of peanut butter. It unscrews by turning to the left (counter-clock wise). The thread must be placed so that it comes off the top and the spool is now turning clockwise. If you place it on facing the opposite direction, then your spindle will unscrew it self and send your spool shooting off into the abyss of the unknown. Your peanut butter will now be unprotected and you will have one of those WTF? moments. And the ants win. Is this clear? ;-)
That is fun way to describe it!! LOL I will think of peanut butter every time i put a new spool on my machine!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
LOLOLOL @ TonnieLoree. I do what amma does and cut threads - you only lose a small amount (but, you save your sanity).
I must have missed something here Suzi; was I supposed to start with some sanity intact? I didn't want to admit that in my frustration I have used my teeth to find that *&^ end of the thread. Excuse me as I need to go adjust my halo now.