Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a quilting life late in life...... >

Starting a quilting life late in life......

Starting a quilting life late in life......

Old 07-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

It doesn't matter when we start quilting 17 or 71, but do what feels good to you. Quilting is my sanity, especially since my DH and I are retired (me, not so willingly, but he had major health issues), but being able to quilt gives me something productive to do. I always gave generously of my quilts and quilted items to my church's Harvest Fair, but after having to move from our home of 33 years to a 2 bedroom apt., I insisted on my own bedroom, so DH won't obsess over the mess I make while sewing, and I only need to clear off my bed at night so I can sleep in it. LOL. My best friend talked me into having a table at that same church's Harvest Fair and I am glad I did, as I was able to sell my items and have a "nest egg" for future fabric purchases, or treats for myself, it's been wonderful, especially having my "own" money to spend as I wish. I have overcome many medical and physical challenges in the past few years, but I'm hoping that is behind me now; but I still keep on quilting, even if it's only an hour here and there, it makes me happy.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for posting and asking this question. I am really enjoying reading all the responses. There is so much wisdom and encouragement in these responses. What a wonderful group of people. Shocks I am getting teary eyed.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
Very sage advice from everyone, tks. I've been quilting about 7 years, reached the ripe old age of 65 in February. Due to health issues I'm not able to sew as much as I'd like, but I thoroughly enjoy every minute that I'm working on a quilt, it's been the best therapy for me. So glad I decided to get into it when I did. Its never too late to find your passion.
So true...Grandma Moses started painting....at what....89?? She produced many beautiful pictures.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 AM

Wonderful story and I am so glad you gave her that advice.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it is even "necessary" to finish a quilt - or quilt top - sometimes it's like going to a buffet - it looked appealing, but wasn't so great after trying it!

Some people are Energizer Bunnies - some people are more like tortoises - but eventually get to where they want to go.

I am sort of a slow one, myself. So, of course, I think it's okay to be slow. (And there are some activities where "slow" makes them more enjoyable! l - like savoring an ice cream sundae!)
Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM

Speed and quantity are definitely not the issues. Enjoy the journey (making the quilts) and the side roads (taking the classes, going to quilt shows, going to the LQS) you come to along the way!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:17 PM

Default start quilting late in life

I turn 89 in a few days and piece quilt tops for a local hospital. Other volunteers piece and bind them to be given as "passage quilts" to the family of deceased patients. I piece at least 2 each month.
Also piece and occasionally finish quilts for Birthright.
I hope to keep doing so as long as my eye sight permits. Unfortunately that is becoming a concern now
Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 PM

My grandmother was a handquilter who supported herself quiltmaking. She quilted until ten days before her passing at nearly 104 years old. Don't assume we won't have the time. Enjoy every day you are given to create something beautiful! I am a garment creator turned quilter at 69 so I know how you feel.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 PM

I started quilting four years ago at age 75. I'm sure that I will never make all of the quilts I have planned; but I spend every free minute in my sewing room and I am amazed at the number of quilts I have completed. I'm having so much fun! I hope you will enjoy quilting as much as I do.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I started quilting in 1966 or 1967. I made 25 hand quilted quilts, tied comforters. Then in 2002 I decided I would teach myself to machine quilt and since 2006 or so I have made one quilt after another. I have decided to quilt as long as I can. I just turned 70 and have made lots of biscuit quilts, comforters, a wall hanging, a couple of table toppers.
I have made 120 machine quilted quilts since 2002.
I have lots of big pieces of fabrics. I want to use up as much as I can. I love all of quilting and I only do it in my spare time, as I work full time.
My two sisters, 2 Brothers and parents have been dead for years now. I am the 2nd oldest and I been the only now for 13-1/2 years. I am so thankful to still be here and try to not waste much time.