Google Goddess

lap quilts
wheelchair bags
wheel chair quilts
pillowcases
Christmas tree ornaments
Old 09-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

lap quilts for everyone in the home would be a good idea.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dodee
I think lap quilts would be a good idea. I remember when Mother and Daddy were in a nursing / retirement home they were always short of lap quilts. If they made their own, what a joy it would be for them to use them.
Mother helped to make pies and cakes there, too, and just loved it.
I agree. Think how proud they would all be to sit around proudly displaying their beautiful lap quilt that they made themselves. Plus the "quick quilters" could make one for those who either can't or didn't want to quilt. Awesome idea :)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Fortunately the home is small (67 beds) and I think that helps lend a community feel for the place. But they are all the time going and doing things there, so its not like they have the lack of things to do.

I think everyone has had some really neat ideas and if possible I would love to do each and every one of them. But I think I need to start out small and maybe find out what is everyones strong points are and go from there. I think lap quilts would be awesome for them to make.

But what I would love to do myself is make every resident a twin size quilt for their bed. But the chances of me doing that and running a business along with doing the Quilting bee is slim to none. Especially by Christmas time but I can always try!

Billy
Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Think thats a Great thing to do, might want to consider a couple of lap size tied fleece kits for those who can no longer hold a needle, just tie up. (not quite quilting but may help others to be involved) Could also do a community Quilt for Fundraiser maybe work on once a month, or with combined blocks from the group. Have Fun!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Google Goddess

you could hang one of your beautiful quilts at the nursing home in the main entrance and maybe put a flyer up that you are staring quilting classes there for the patients of the nursing home and maybe visitors can help with supplies for you!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM

I just saw your idea, and then happened to open "My first quilt" by freezininakwkids. Look at that dear little lady! How generous of you! And how appreciated your time will be! My own mother passed away at 97 in a nursing home. Giving time and activities to those dear people is an act of angels.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM

What a wonderful idea. I like the idea of baby quilts for hospital donations. Makes everyone feel good! Some may like the option of making pillowcases for their grandchildren.
When talking to the elder most remember log cabins and split rail quilts; both are easy to construct
Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 PM

why dont you ask them what they are up to making , also you could send away for some Qiult 4 kids kits , they send you everything except the batting and the binding maybe that would be a start then before you send them back to quilts 4 kids take there picture with the quilt they did and once they reach quilts 4 kids you can register the quilt and upload a picture of them with the quilt on there site and it will be posted on downey site along with there story behind the quilt
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Billy, what a wonderful thing to do. You will probably learn so much. My Grandma was so full of quilt lore, my favorite one was if you got blood on your quilt you had to throw it over the house to keep the bad spirits away from the quilt. She also knew a lot of ways to make the piecing easier. But, she never would chain piece, she made all her blocks one at a time. Good luck and remember to enjoy yourself.