Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed >

Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed

Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed

Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 PM

I did a similar project for a few years. We don't do it any more as all of the original group are deceased and the 'newbies' are more debilitated or uninterested. However, the climate may change again. What we did do as a beginning project was to make quilted caddies for their Zimmer frames, wheelchairs, walkers etc. I t was as simple as one large quilted block with some simple pockets and ties to keep it on the frames. The different colours and designs also assisted in the clients being able to recognise who owned each 'vehicle'. We then did seat cushions and totes and table - runners.The last two projects were group efforts to make quilts. One of the quilts was raffled to raise money for the 'social committee' to buy more fabric. The other one was donated to a local palliative care hospital.Good luck with your venture, I'm sure you will enjoy.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

I think lap quilts for them selves first, so they are making something for them self first. I was a certified nurse aid for many years before I went back to school, as a matter of fact, my paitents were at my wedding, and the ones that had there lap quilts, displayed them proudly at the foot of there beds, when they were not using them. This is such a wonderful thing you are doing, They need to be able to do things like this more often, and they will love doing it, do not be disapointed if you only get a couple at first, it takes some of them time to warm up to changes. God bless you for doing this, it will be a learning experiance for you, but it will be the world to them. Penny
Old 10-10-2010, 02:44 PM

OH!
I wish I lived closer to you! I would join you and help!
I started a sewing group at the local nursing home. Mostly, what I did was sit and sew and they just sat and watched me.
Thankfully, I have the gift of gab, and we just chatted and learned how to all get along.
Interesting thing! When Katrina hit, the residents were really upset about those folks down there needing help, and they wanted to do something.
About the time they were wanting to do something, I had listened to the radio and someone was going down with daily needs items.
Long story short! We made up 25 totes, joined with the American Legion Auxiliary to get daily needs items gathered, found a veterans home in Mississippi that needed some help ... and, spent most of one day, stuffing bags with supplies.
but, the thing that was so amazing to me was: They wanted to DO something. They cared!
that is when I realized - - quality people never lose the desire to be needed and to help ... it is as natural as breathing to most of us and doesn't stop even though our bodies don't operate the way it used to.
Old people seem to be happier doing something for someone else than to be thinking about themselves.
There is the occasional "selfish" oldster, and when you observe them very long - - you begin to understand why they seem a bit lonely.
The most important thing, however, was the conversation and the idea that someone from "outside" would come in and talk to them, spend time with them ... I learned so much. <wave>
I will be anxious to read what all you have done. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

Omak that makes me want to do this even more!! I am still working the logistics out with the director and the OT but it looks like I have the go ahead for sometime next month! The main thin I want to do is learn what these ladies know about quilting and the history behind their quilts and the type of fabrics/patterns used and to let them know that this "Young Gun" wants to carry on their stories and memories and pass them on to all of us.

Billy
Old 11-13-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Omak that makes me want to do this even more!! I am still working the logistics out with the director and the OT but it looks like I have the go ahead for sometime next month! The main thin I want to do is learn what these ladies know about quilting and the history behind their quilts and the type of fabrics/patterns used and to let them know that this "Young Gun" wants to carry on their stories and memories and pass them on to all of us.

Billy
You will find the stories coming out over time. Memories are an interesting phenomenon and pop out at the oddest times. We just have to be ready to respond when they get to it. <wave>
Old 11-13-2010, 02:17 PM

thanks so much for thinking of the people who live in the home. even the federal regulations for nursing homes encourage everyone to concentrate on quality of life and make any "activities" fit the need and wants of the residents. it sounds to me like you will be making a wonderful contribution. i am sure you will end up feeling like you are getting back even more than you give.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:15 PM

:-) good you ,I worked in a care center for years and I can tell you this. you'll need lost of help, So get your wife and her quilting quild or church ladies to help. I 'am sure all will enjoy your project- but remember eldery people need extra help. also you should cut all blocks before because their hands don't work like they used to. Good luck jewell in your crown for this one.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM

God bless you for wanting to do this. I am so glad you found such a great place for your FIL.

My grandmother was in a nursing home for 10 years and she pieced quilts by hand until about 2 months before she passed. She lived to be 2 months past her 100th birthday. The activities director would cut out quilt pieces and bring them to Granny's room. She pieced them so fast, they couldn't keep up with her. She pieced several for me while she was there. I, also, would buy the fabric, cut the squares and she pieced them. It thrilled her to be able to do something.

Also, at another nursing home where a friend was, they had a quilting frame set up in a separate room and the residents would go and quilt whenever they wanted to. My friend was a gentleman and every time we visited he was bragging about their quilts. Of course, this would depend on how many people could do this or how much space you had to work in.

Lap quilts would be great or a potholder or some small item as the residents love to have something to give their family when they visit or something they can display in their room. They feel so proud to show off what they make.

This also will help the resident to come out of their rooms and interact with other residents and gives them a sense of accomplishment.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Hey Billy, whatever happened with this?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Banned

It is still in the works, I have been so indated with work I havent been able to get a free day to go to the home and talk to the lady and iron out the final details. My wife goes and sees Paw Paw all the time but I am stuck in the studio working.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks when I get over all of this Bronchitis I can get out there and get it started.

Billy