Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash or Buy as Needed? >

Stash or Buy as Needed?

Stash or Buy as Needed?

Old 06-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Well, my head, which is the part of me that pays the bills, balances the checkbook, and cleans and organizes the house, says it's better to buy as needed.

But my heart, which is the part of me that loves to dream, create, and experiment, says it's best to have a HUUUUUGE stash.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:50 PM

I have a big stash. I enjoy looking at it and picking out fabric from it for my next project. I will never use it all before I'm gone, but my DD will inherit it and enjoy what is left. It is nice to have it because when ever I need a gift for someone, I can usually find what I want to use in my stash.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

If I could quilt until I am 400 or 500 years old I might be able to use all my fabrics.
I am making quilts for kids that must be removed from their homes. I just made about my 10th for this year. I have made several quilts for others. I retired first of this year and I sew 4-5 hours a day.

I decided with whatever time I might have left I was going to make quilts and I have. I have donated quite a few and will continue as I can't keep them all. I do buy rements to go with fabrics I already have. My Daughter quilts also.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 PM

It's all relative! I have a stash, but not huge by any means. I buy for current projects, but I also buy when I find fabric that I "know" I will need for an upcoming project. I'm also guilty of buying fabric that speaks to me. I have no use for it right now, but knew I needed it. Then there is the fabric that just jumps into my cart. I am fortunate to be able to buy what/when I want. Many evenings I can be found petting and reorganizing my totes.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:58 PM

I buy for projects mostly. If I like a fabric line I pick a pattern I have and make a kit. I can tell you it doesn't make less room as I have tubs full of future kits I have made
Old 06-17-2017, 02:16 AM

I used to buy for "stash". However, I found that I have tons of stash and still don't know how I want to use it. AND, there are always new fabrics that I "want." I have really tried to limit myself in the last couple of years to buy only as I need it or if there's a specific project. It can become overwhelming.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:41 AM

Obviously I must thing having a stash is essential. Somehow what I have always needs a another piece that works better than what I have and then there is the stack that I'm "saving" for a special project. I am currently trying to remind myself that they do still make fabric and I need to use what I have on hand! I live 45 minutes from any resource for purchasing so at times it is nice to be able to find something in my stash. It reduces impulse buying, too.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:44 AM

I'm trying to shop first in my stash. You'd think it would be going down....not so.

Marcia
Old 06-17-2017, 03:44 AM

I like to buy what I see and like. Luckily I don't go into my local shops every day! Traveling. Quilt shows. I can't resist. As I am from garment sewing start, I have lots of fabric. My quilting stash is primarily precuts!!
As I am creating a sewing space I am trying to get all tubs gathered so I can see what I have. Might be too much to mentally handle!!
But, like you all, I love fabric!!!!
Old 06-17-2017, 04:01 AM

My good stash is all batiks. I'm trying to sew up my printed stash. It's tough, I've given most away. I almost always have to go purchase either binding or backing. I think it's better to purchase prints in layer cakes and jelly rolls. As for the batiks stash, I don't add to it anymore, one of these days, I will get to sew it.