Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash Management >

Stash Management

Stash Management

Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

I really don't think there's any such thing as "Stash Management"....

I kind of went totally wonko when I first got my SS checks and getting my room set up and got a lot of stuff for my stash that I wish I hadn't.

Right now I'm sorting and organizing and giving away....
I'm sorting fabrics that I bought that 'go together'... like I bought 2 or three fabrics that I want to use for a quilt - I'm putting them together and tying the bundle.. (that way next year when I see a fabric I won't go, 'what was this for?'

So far I have something like twenty-five bundles - ack!! and I'm not finished! .... these are bundles for quilts that I really, really want to make..

Then I'm going to put things like the batiks together, the kona colors (except for the ones already bundled with something else) etc.

(while sorting I started having an idea for a dresden plate made with batiks and put on all different kona colors!)

I also have bright and cheerful stuff and some flannel and some homespun that I got for lap quilts for the nursing homes that I need to work on... and I'd really like to get some 'soldier quilts' done...

One thing I can't buy is TIME!

I'm giving away some stuff that I got at the beginning of this quest that I know will just keep getting shoved to the back so to speak... there's nothing wrong with it and it's not 'nasty' or ugly, it's just that I've found stuff I like so much better that I'll never get to it, and I'd rather somebody get some use out of it.
I've found a few outlets around here to get some bargains - but you have to be careful - they sell the good stuff right along side some cheap stuff - and for the same price...
And then the quilt shops have sales! of the older stuff - and you can get some great prices...

I am thankful tho, that I did go bananas because I already see the pricing going up and up and I know that I won't be spending 8-9-10 dollars a yard for fabric. I even have some backing that I got for $3 a yard that is now selling for almost $6 a yard - same stuff/same fabric place...

One thing for sure, I DO NOT NEED ONE SINGLE PIECE OF ANY KIND OF FABRIC!!!!
none
nada
zilch

8)
Old 06-13-2008, 03:15 PM
bj

To quote my friend who used to sell Stanley home products....it's not what you need in life that makes you happy, it's what you want! And I want lots of fabric :) :) !
Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Janeen,
I'm with you on "stash management".
I had my stash pretty much under control and then my very kind neighbor gave me 3 sacks of fabric pieces from a quilter who is now in heaven.

Now I have fabric everywhere! And pieces that I truly have no idea what to do with.
I'm looking for VERY EASY scrap patterns that have some shape to them, not just checkerboard or squares in a row, but not too many triangles.
See, I'm very picky and scared of trying too much.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:46 PM

Have you ever gone to the Quiltville website? She makes really fun scrappy quilts and uses every little bit of fabric that she can use. I've made a couple different ones from her website and I just love making those kind. They are fun and not difficult. Scrappy is my favorite.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:48 PM

Yellow brick road,turning twent and irish chain are some easy ones. There are a lot of them, chinese coins, rail fence, log cabin........no triangles in the bunch :D
Old 06-14-2008, 06:01 PM

I know exactly how you feel--every word. :shock:

I'm really really really (if my students did that I'd holler) hoping to get a LOT of fabric used up this summer, but something tells me if I make 4 quilts, 10 table runners, 8 wall hangings, and more, it won't even make a dent in the stash.

I had made the goal to not buy one piece of fabric this year....I made it to the middle of January and haven't stopped.

One quilt really doesn't take much fabric, a wall hanging even less, and a table runner only needs 3 fat quarters. Oh boy.

If only it weren't so much fun to buy.

I need a bigger sewing room.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
Yellow brick road,turning twent and irish chain are some easy ones. There are a lot of them, chinese coins, rail fence, log cabin........no triangles in the bunch :D
That's one of the reasons why I like FQ quilts. They don't take much fabric and if you are WANTING to make a quilt and don't want to spend much on fabric, FQs are the way to go!
Old 06-14-2008, 06:06 PM

But, Terri--fat quarters at the qulting shop are $2.50 each! That's $10 a yard! Soooooo, it's better to buy more off the bolt. Say half a yard, or a yard, maybe 2! More fabric.... more...fabric....more..... f-a-b-r-i-c......

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 06-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
But, Terri--fat quarters at the qulting shop are $2.50 each! That's $10 a yard! Soooooo, it's better to buy more off the bolt. Say half a yard, or a yard, maybe 2! More fabric.... more...fabric....more..... f-a-b-r-i-c......

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
True, but I stash fat quarters or will by 1/2 yard to make 2 Fats.
Once in a while, I would find end cuts at shops (not that I can get them now), but they would be just enough to equal a fat.

I just got 2 packages in yesterday from shops that I ordered from. One of them had a pack of 4 fats for $2. Was a great deal, but couldn't pick colors I wanted. Good thing it was only $2 because I'm really not liking the colors they sent. I'm sure I'll find something to make with them, or maybe swap.
I did come across a site that had batiks on sale for a good price. Thought of you when I saw it, knowing how much you LOVE batiks. Can't for the life of me remember what the website was. :(
Old 06-15-2008, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by bj
To quote my friend who used to sell Stanley home products....it's not what you need in life that makes you happy, it's what you want! And I want lots of fabric :) :) !
here here!!!!! :)