Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash Question >

Stash Question

Stash Question

Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 AM

Default Stash Question

Hello all! This is my first post on QB and I can't wait to learn more about quilting from all of you fine folks.

Anyhow, to the matter at hand: I was just reading EllieGirl's stash thread, and I was wondering how much yardage does one buy when there is no specific project in mind? Fat Quarter? One yard? The whole bolt
? I'm afraid I'm going to find the perfect project for a fabric in my stash and then not have enough.

Thanks!
-I
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM

I usually buy 2 or 3 yards. If I really like it I buy the rest of the bolt. And if it is blenders or something that I can use with alot of my fabrics , I buy 4 yards or the rest of the bolt. That way I don't have to go shopping as much, just dig into my stash.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 AM

Look at the yardage in some quilt patterns you like. If its the dominant fabric, 3-4 yards depending on size and if it will be in the borders. If you like scrappies, whatever you feel like. I collect novelty cat fabrics so always buy 1/2 yard, more if I really like it since I hate actually cutting into my cat collection!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 AM

BTW, welcome to the group!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 AM

How much I purchase varies widely. In the past few years my quilts have contained more fabrics than those made 20 years ago. Now its not uncommon for my quilts to have 10 or more fabrics.. so the amount/yardage of a single fabric I purchase for "speculation" or stash as gone down to 1 yard. If its a really spectacular fabric that might be a border fabric between 2 1/2 or 3 yards. If its a great background in a White on white or cream on cream print and the price is the best I have seen in a long time I would buy 6 yards or maybe the whole bolt.
So much depends on your quilting style , or the type of quilts you like to make and how many quilts you might make in a year.
If I had any advise to a newcomer to quilting fun... only buy what you can afford , and there will always be fabrics you will fall in love with. There is the addiction of acquiring beautiful textiles.. and its starts with the first purchase.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM

I say the more, the better. I can't tell you how many times I've bought a yard of fabric, thinking that would be more than enough, then finally getting around to using it, finding a project and realizing I need 1 1/2 yards! By this time the quilt shop doesn't have the fabric anymore. Some fabrics will call to you...you'll love it so much you HAVE to get it, but then you don't want to use it because you love it so much!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

welcome to the QB and happy quilting
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM

Thanks Fay!

Michelle...haha, yes I have a batik that I get out and look at, try to think of something to use it in and then put it back because it is just too special for any old project.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM

When I'm fabric shopping, I will look at fabrics and think "that will make a great backing" or "that's a great pink to use if I ever make a baby quilt" or "that's a great fabric for binding" and decide on the quantity based on what I think I'll use it for. When deciding on a new quilt to make, I pick the pattern that uses the amounts of what I have. Or I'll run out and buy more fabric because nothing is just right
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I usually buy 2 yards of fabric. More if I LOVE it.