Stash vs. life expectancy...

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Old 09-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Camping Betty
Help!! I bought a collection of fabric and it is too pretty to cut up LOL
I SO can understand that Betty! I have pieces in my stash that are just there for stroking! :D
I think we all have those pieces. Me, I like to do the Naked Stash Rolling in those ... like rolling in money, only better! :oops: :lol: :shock:

Odessa
TOO FUNNY...hadn't thought of that...but if I showed up in my home-cave, nekkid? think my stash might be quaking and shaking, thinking, next newspaper headline will be: STASH TURNS TO MASHED! :lol:
Old 09-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks for that Odessa - I'll have that image in my head all day now! :lol:
Ha, Ha...you hide and watch, K, will be nekkid rolling in her fabrics, before you can blink...that girl likes her freedom! :lol:
Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I've been out of work for the last 3 months and so I'm working on saving money. To do that, I've placed a moratorium om buying fabric (Wizard of Oz is the only exception) and have actually been USING my stash (sounds crazy, I know). Though I've made 6 or so quilts in the past few months, I have not noticed any decrease in my stash, lol.

I'm trying to befriend the older ladies in the Quilt Guild in hopes they'll leave me their fabric... does that make me a bad person? :shock:
bad? that makes you a GENIUS!!! :lol:
Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wvdek
As for me - well I cannot afford the really nice fabrics nor am I close enough to a really nice LQS so I can only get what I really like or know I will use and have to leave the stuff that makes me drool behind until I can afford it.
In the meantime, this is the only area of my life that is really organized, marked, bagged, sorted, washed, ironed, squared, etc.
Then, this weekend my DS the trucker was here. I started working on kwhites Doll quilt and DS got involved. I mean really involved and said he liked this color this value this n that. Next thing I know, he has changed two of the fabrics I was going to use becasue it actually looked better than what I was going to use. He had taken an Art class a few years ago with the hopes of being a grapic artist and he really showed his knowledge. I told him I needed to teach him to quilt. He didn't say no so ...I may have to rethink who I leave my stash to. To boot, he really liked what I was doing and took more intrest and was more receptive than DD or DH. Hmmm another Ricky Tims perhaps?
wow, love this story...thanks for telling us about your adventure with art class son! love this! :D
Old 09-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I learned a new acronym: SABLE (Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy).

It's a terrible question to ask, but... do you think you'll live long enough to use up your stash?

(For me... the answer is no; it's a deep fear of sitting around with nothing to do...)
wait, i just realized what you're saying.

I AM NEVER DYING. therefore, it's a moot point :mrgreen:
B, if your like me, you refuse to leave hubby with no one to *itch at him. He likes it...I tell him all the time, just how much :mrgreen:
(trust me, he can give ribbing back in spades...he ain't no victim! :wink: )
Old 09-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Somebody'll eventually chuck it all in the trash, as my darling daughter has no interest in sewing and even if she did, she hates my taste!

(The apple has fallen far from the tree and is still rolling away...)
My youngest tries so hard not to be like me...thinks I am corny and all that...of course I am...I choose to be cheesy, I'm a mouse, after all...but I get soooo tickled when she hears a new song on the raido..."oooh, turn that up, I love this song"...and I tell her it's one of my favorites too...it's a remake.
Same thing happens, now, with fabrics. She doesn't sew yet...has small children...but, little by little the bug is getting to her....and she admires fabrics, in the store...THAT I HAVE! :mrgreen:

Don't you just love it? chick a boom, chick a boom, boom, boom!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by don't do dishes
The Quilters Last Will & Testament
Being of sound mind (a statement which does not bear close examination), I ______________________ do hereby record my last will and testament. Knowing that ____________________, my _________________ (husband, sister or friend) hasn't the least appreciation for, or for that matter, knowledge of my extensive fabric collection, which collection is suitably deposited in sundry places for safe keeping. Knowing also that _______________________ has already notified the local dumpster to pick up and dispose of the before-mentioned collection "willy-nilly" (the thought of which causes me a most severe case of hives). Therefore, I do will this collection and all other collections related to it, to my dear friend and fellow fabric preservationist, ____________________.
It is my wish that she/he, upon hearing of my death and obtaining clear proof that I did not manage, although goodness knows I tried, to take it with me, would come to my home post haste, before the dumpster, and search out my collection which is similarly stored at her own abode. That she should rescue said collection and stack it in my quilting studio, along with my sewing machines, frames, old buttons, lace, patterns, quilts, dolls and works in progress. After she/he has done this, she/he should purchase refreshments for my friends not yet departed, which friends are also her/his friends, and every last one shall be in that room and they shall hold a wake and say lovely and kind things about me until they run out and then they shall divide amongst themselves, by lot, my wonderful collection. I shall be hovering over that very spot until this is done. _____________________ shall then quit this spot and close the door, leaving trivialities to those who do not understand.
This is my wish on the matter.
Signed: __________________________ Date:

Notarized: ________________________ Date:
Saved for copying in near future!!! :wink:
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mountain deb
I think as sewers with our stash lining the walls that we work in a padded room. hmmmm what a thought. LOL
HILARIOUS! I knew there was a reason I refer to my state of mind, often :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by mar32428
When I get to the pearly gates, I'm going to have a sewing machine in each hand and a cart tied to my back end with my stash.
Oh no. I wasn't planning on doing this... but now I'm going to have to tell you all about my dream. Here goes.

I dreamed that I died and went to heaven. It MUST have been heaven, because someone greeted me, and brought me into a room full of the most gorgeous fabric I had ever seen. (I think it was Hoffmans, with lots of metallics.) And there was a sewing machine, just like my beloved old Singer. And they told me, "Sit down, make yourself at home, go sew some Christmas tree skirts." Great! So I launched right into it. And from time to time, they brought me more fabrics. Each bolt more beautiful than the last. But after a while I realized that the bolts never got empty. And I never got done with the task. And that I wasn't actually in heaven after all, I was in my own private, tailor-made version of hell. And what was worst of all was that I couldn't even tell the difference!!

What can this mean???
Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by donnajean
My sister had 2 storage facilities besides her 7 bedroom house filled when she lost her battle with colon cancer at 58. She had over 2,500 quilt books & she never had an internet connection. That was in 2001. Who knows how much she would have accumulated had she lived another 25 yrs.
My gma has the same, and her house is smaller than my cracker box, and it is stacked almost to ceiling with boxes in every single room, just walkways from one room to next, and can't get to back door. She has an old bus filled with stuff, too! She lives hundreds of miles from here, and if it wouldn't look, really tacky on my part, I would show up, for funeral, with a couple of u-hauls...nobody else sews, but me! :D