Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash vs. life expectancy... >

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
the vikings laid you out on a beautiful boat with all your personal belongings, set fire to the boat and pushed you out to sea, where they believed you would spend eternity surrounded by all your stuff in the next life.

i could be laid down on a cruise-ship with all my fabric, notions, machines, and what-all and also set out to sea. burning. the stuff i own would fill every room on the ship, and the flames would be seen around the world. people all over would believe (a) a meteorite had landed, or (b) armageddon had arrived (c) an enormous lava flow was eating up the world or (d) we should have paid more attention to global warming.
Hey, we could have a BBQ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 AM

Marden's a quilters heaven. I'll have to get to our local one to check out the deals. Glad you posted with the name of the store :-)
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 AM

I think as sewers with our stash lining the walls that we work in a padded room. hmmmm what a thought. LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
the vikings laid you out on a beautiful boat with all your personal belongings, set fire to the boat and pushed you out to sea, where they believed you would spend eternity surrounded by all your stuff in the next life.

i could be laid down on a cruise-ship with all my fabric, notions, machines, and what-all and also set out to sea. burning. the stuff i own would fill every room on the ship, and the flames would be seen around the world. people all over would believe (a) a meteorite had landed, or (b) armageddon had arrived (c) an enormous lava flow was eating up the world or (d) we should have paid more attention to global warming.
hey, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth :evil:
Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by don't do dishes
The Quilters Last Will & Testament
Being of sound mind (a statement which does not bear close examination), I ______________________ do hereby record my last will and testament. Knowing that ____________________, my _________________ (husband, sister or friend) hasn't the least appreciation for, or for that matter, knowledge of my extensive fabric collection, which collection is suitably deposited in sundry places for safe keeping. Knowing also that _______________________ has already notified the local dumpster to pick up and dispose of the before-mentioned collection "willy-nilly" (the thought of which causes me a most severe case of hives). Therefore, I do will this collection and all other collections related to it, to my dear friend and fellow fabric preservationist, ____________________.
It is my wish that she/he, upon hearing of my death and obtaining clear proof that I did not manage, although goodness knows I tried, to take it with me, would come to my home post haste, before the dumpster, and search out my collection which is similarly stored at her own abode. That she should rescue said collection and stack it in my quilting studio, along with my sewing machines, frames, old buttons, lace, patterns, quilts, dolls and works in progress. After she/he has done this, she/he should purchase refreshments for my friends not yet departed, which friends are also her/his friends, and every last one shall be in that room and they shall hold a wake and say lovely and kind things about me until they run out and then they shall divide amongst themselves, by lot, my wonderful collection. I shall be hovering over that very spot until this is done. _____________________ shall then quit this spot and close the door, leaving trivialities to those who do not understand.
This is my wish on the matter.
Signed: __________________________ Date:

Notarized: ________________________ Date:

I LOVE this!! And I have charged my daughter and husband to do this for me!! (And if I don't get it, I've promised to haunt them forever!!) One of them will furnish champagne to celebrate my life and all my quilting/sewing friends will be here, have a good cry (well, maybe) and then jump in and take everything home with them for FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n

I don't mean eat YOU BW - just use the heat to grill some steaks and raise a glass in your honour! :mrgreen:

hey, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth :evil:
Old 09-10-2009, 08:14 AM

My sister had 2 storage facilities besides her 7 bedroom house filled when she lost her battle with colon cancer at 58. She had over 2,500 quilt books & she never had an internet connection. That was in 2001. Who knows how much she would have accumulated had she lived another 25 yrs.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Like many of you, my stash grows on the thought that one day I won't be able to afford to buy any more so I better get it now.

I find myself looking at it and dreaming of all the things it could eventually become, then comes the thought of actually using it, and well, I end up losing my nerve because it looks so nice and neat on the shelf and all. I'll still pull fabrics out and group them for "something" before I put them back, but that's as far as it gets pretty much.

Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's frustrating, but all around, I'm glad I have it all. :)
Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 AM

Hi Ladies, Think about leaving a stash for your granddaughters. I just thought of that when I read your comment. I keep saying I am not going to buy any more but when a new project gets started I have to have at least one more piece to complete it. Right now I am working on 6 signature quilts to give for Christmas to my "Old Ladies Poker Club". We have lost three members to death and I thought I would get each of the remaining girls to sign and I would sign for the ones who have gone before. These are less than 36 inches square and can either be a wall hanging or a table covering.
You use two colors. For instance blue and white, or red and white. White is where you sign your names. I did one in gold and white for a home wedding. They can have it out where it will remind them of their special day. The guess book gets signed and put away some where and you probably never see it again.
[email protected]
Henri
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 AM

We have a small house and thank goodness for that because there is already fabric in every nook and cranny I can find. My quilting group and I have a "Quilter's Will" that bequeathes all quilt related items to our quilting 'peeps'. Face it, when we're gone our spouses and/or children will have no idea what anything is worth.