Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash vs. life expectancy... >

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
Years ago I cross stitched a little saying on a sweatshirt. It goes like this: SHE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST FABRIC WINS!!!!!!
Amen sista!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:06 PM

The problem is....... When I go to a flea market or estate sale, or garage sale where you can tell that you are buying some old ladies fabric.... I FEEL REALLY BAD!!!! I went to one sale where the lady was sitting right there and her daughter was "helping" her sell all of her fabric. The little old lady couldn't see well enough to quilt anymore so I bought her fabric for next to nothing. I felt soooo bad. Some day that will be US!!!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:24 PM

Ok - since we are on the subjuect...

Shortly aftre we moved here 6 + years ago, a neighbor lady died of breast cancer. She was in her early 30's and was a fantastic quilter so I was told. She knew she was dying and she made/quilted the inside lining - top, sides, bottom, body cover pillow covering of her casket. I never saw it, but heard about it from several community folks. They said it was just beautiful. She had used her favorite patterns, colors, fabrics, and well, what more can one say. So, I guess you can take it with you if you plan ahead. :roll:
Old 09-07-2009, 02:34 PM

As for me - well I cannot afford the really nice fabrics nor am I close enough to a really nice LQS so I can only get what I really like or know I will use and have to leave the stuff that makes me drool behind until I can afford it.
In the meantime, this is the only area of my life that is really organized, marked, bagged, sorted, washed, ironed, squared, etc.
Then, this weekend my DS the trucker was here. I started working on kwhites Doll quilt and DS got involved. I mean really involved and said he liked this color this value this n that. Next thing I know, he has changed two of the fabrics I was going to use becasue it actually looked better than what I was going to use. He had taken an Art class a few years ago with the hopes of being a grapic artist and he really showed his knowledge. I told him I needed to teach him to quilt. He didn't say no so ...I may have to rethink who I leave my stash to. To boot, he really liked what I was doing and took more intrest and was more receptive than DD or DH. Hmmm another Ricky Tims perhaps?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM

Wow, making your coffin lining!! I guess they can wrap me in a quilt that is too ugly for them to keep.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by motomom
I had an elderly aunt who passed away leaving an entire room full of fabric. She had an 8x4 plywood table set up on sawhorses in the middle of the room, about 2 ft high stacks of fabric on top of it, 3 ft stacks under it, and stacks piled against the wall all the way around. Nothing else in the room.

Joke was, it was all DOUBLE KNIT!!! Her kids ended up selling it all at a garage sale. And a good portion of it never sold, but was given to goodwill.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/22163.page

there's a quilting use for everything :mrgreen:
Old 09-07-2009, 06:40 PM

I'm sure I won't live that long especially since I keep adding to the stash. LOL
Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM

HEE HEE HEE -- she who dies with the most linens, crystal, china, silver and FABRIC wins!!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Hmmm another Ricky Tims perhaps?
hey. it can be hoped, right?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 AM

No I won't live long enough, but at least I will always have fabric to use for a new project. I also have enough projects I want to do that will outlive me. :cry: