Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash vs. life expectancy... >

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Sure .....if I live to be about 132. lol
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 AM

I'll never see the shelves that my fabric is on.
Just came back from Marden's
They were unloading crates of fabric.
I got Marcus at $2.69 a yd.
Can't beat those prices.
I buy more than I'll ever use. :roll: :lol:
Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 AM

I keep thinking like some of you have, I am not going to buy till I use up. So I start a quilt just from my stash, then I find I don't have backing or I don't have enough to do what I want, so to the store I go, more fabric. Now what is the point of trying to use up. I have went into quilt shop several times tho and haven't bought. Does that count.

So outlive my stash? I started on mine late in life, think I have been really working on it to make sure that I don't. And its not only the stash we have to worry about, its also all the toys we have to have to make those quilts. I have no idea where mine is going, guess it will go to an estate sale too. Oh what a sad thought. I mean someone will be happy, but sad.

Rita
Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 AM

I had an elderly aunt who passed away leaving an entire room full of fabric. She had an 8x4 plywood table set up on sawhorses in the middle of the room, about 2 ft high stacks of fabric on top of it, 3 ft stacks under it, and stacks piled against the wall all the way around. Nothing else in the room.

Joke was, it was all DOUBLE KNIT!!! Her kids ended up selling it all at a garage sale. And a good portion of it never sold, but was given to goodwill.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:48 AM

by the time we all pass, it will be something else other than cotton, and we will have all these stacks that won't sell, wouldn't the joke be on us? :thumbdown: :lol: :cry:
Old 09-04-2009, 11:56 AM

Probably not. I too have to buy almost every time I go into my LQS. I probably have enough to supply my self and my 3 daughters (if I can ever get them to quilt) for a very long time.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM

I don't know.......I feel guilty sometimes buying more fabric.....especially the Asian fabrics that I am in love with. However, I really enjoyed shopping in my sewing room for fabrics to make some things for my daughter the other day. That was really cool.......lol!

I don't worry about it anymore......I still got 6 large totes from cleaning out my mother's stash in 2005 when she passed.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 PM

I dont have any stash yet so will any of you that havestash byond your life expectancy please leave me in your will for it :)
it will go to good use!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 PM

When I went to the Ricky Tims seminar in Glenn Falls, NY, he started a survey to find out who was the eldest quilter in the group. They asked for anybody 80 and older to stand up and a fairly large group did, and started to make them sit down in increments of 5 years. When they got to 95 there was one lady still standing. They then starting counting the years one by one. At this time they thought she couldn't hear, but they went on. She finally sat down when they got to 103. She was smiling big. She got a lot of fabrics as gifts and they announced that on that day she got herself a new Bernina. I that if I live that long I can still sew like that.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Am I suppose to use it all up I thought I was just collecting. :D :D :D

I have a friend who once said I sure hope that when I die my husbands new wife likes all the fabric I bought her. In other words no $$ left for her just Fabric. What if she is not a quilter then too bad I still bought it for her :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: