Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash vs. life expectancy... >

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Old 09-04-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I have not really thought a lot about how much of my stash I may leave behind....but I am hoping to leave a really messy sewing room...as kind of a payback for all of the times I have had to pick up after my kids and grandkids LMBO
What a wonderful idea!!!!!! I'm going to strive for exactly the same thing! It's just rewards! YOU come up with the best ideas in the world Amma!!!xoxoxoxo

Hugs,
Sharon
Old 09-04-2009, 02:35 PM

isn't the point to not outlive your stash. I mean isn't that what we are all aiming for? I know I am....even if its just to annoy everyone else.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM

Think of your stash as being like the food in your cupboards or toilet paper. You'll always need at least some on hand until you die. You wouldn't want to run out of food or toilet paper, even when the end is near.

Some fabrics are like eggs or ketchup. You always need a supply on hand of, say, a solid white for applique background or a green tonal for leafy-looking pieces.

And some, like take-out Chinese food, are for a specific purpose and you don't want them lingering around forever.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I have not really thought a lot about how much of my stash I may leave behind....but I am hoping to leave a really messy sewing room...as kind of a payback for all of the times I have had to pick up after my kids and grandkids LMBO
I'm with you on this one :) :) It seems appropriate!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

I will die before I use it all then someone will sell it on ebay or at a yard sale. It cost me more to move my fabric and yarn then everything else 9 years ago you would have thought I learned my lesson but NOOOOOO I just kept/keep buying more
Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM

I think my kids will just have to have a garage sale!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I'm working very hard to build my stash up so that I don't outlive it! Its HARD work buying that much fabric since I plan on living a LONG time!!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM

This post reminds me of the yard sale we had after my Mom (Who was 77) passed away. All three of her daughters are sewers so we each had our pick of what we wanted before the yard sale. The morning dawned bright and clear and the grey-haired set (also known as her fellow guild members) started to arrive bright and early! Man were they ever ticked off when they realized we had kept some of the best fabrics for ourselves. One woman came over and asked, "Which one of you TOOK that piece of pink floral that your mother was keeping to make a quilt for herself out of??"

We had such a laugh over that! I know my Mom would have had the biggest old chuckle too!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 PM

My goal is to keep on using it, even if all I get done are the quilt tops. If (when?) I die, my kids will marvel at how productive I have been, and get them quilted in my memory (ha ha). But if (when) I die and they see tubs of scraps, they will wonder at my sanity. SO. . . I keep on sewing, buying only enough to finish projects. I have sewn 6 quilts so far this year, but only completed 2 of them (which were both given away). I WANT to outlive my stash!!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Think of your stash as being like the food in your cupboards or toilet paper. You'll always need at least some on hand until you die. You wouldn't want to run out of food or toilet paper, even when the end is near.

Some fabrics are like eggs or ketchup. You always need a supply on hand of, say, a solid white for applique background or a green tonal for leafy-looking pieces.

And some, like take-out Chinese food, are for a specific purpose and you don't want them lingering around forever.
Love your analogy. One addition: If you eat a lot of Chinese food you'll need a lot of TP, so proper planning is a good thing. lol