Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To stay or go...Applique Bee >

To stay or go...Applique Bee

To stay or go...Applique Bee

Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM

i would stop going and find another group and ask your other friends if they would like to join you
it sounds like you are not happy being there so why go thru there drama
Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by pal
Not all older women are complainers and whiners. You and your one friend will have a wonderful time learning from and teaching each other.
Amen to that! The most positive and kindhearted person I know is 90 years young!
The negativity in your bee is definitely not an age thing.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM

I would probably leave BUT if you decide to stay, sit near the hostess where you can learn something. I don't know about you but when I am concentrating on something, I can pretty well block out everything around me. If the hostess is quiet most of the time, you two would make a good sewing pair. Good luck on your decision.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 PM

I personally would stop going. When you are around people like that it tends to bring you down, and then it is impossible to have a good time. Would be great if you and the other lady that you are friends with could get together and start your own.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
I say stop going. Negativity begets negativity... why not host something in your own home once a month? This way you can invite the few that are pleasant and helpful (and worl on your own but get help during this time), and you all can help each other at this event. Make it a Saturday Social or something, and keep it small and enjoyable. I would bet the others would love it! :) Just keep in mind, no complaining about the other ladies. Start fresh and keep this POSITIVE. :)
Good idea
Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

For me, with all the negative comments coming your way, and the negative atmosphere of the entire group, I would say to join another group or start one on your own. Since it is no longer fun, even though you have had the advice of some, maybe they are just as tired of all the negativity and would like to start another group.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM

I cancelled my membership to the local quilt guild, it was close and had wonderful quilters, but no one would talk to me, except one older member and no one included me in their subgroups. I am usually very gregarious and love to make new friends but they spent the entire meetings bickering and there was no socializing, so I wrote a nice email explaining the reason I was quitting and joined another guild that made me feel welcome. I understand they started a welcoming committee after that. I may try them again in the future!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Your predictament makes me wonder why they left the quilt shop setting. Perhaps they were asked to leave? Due to the negative conversations? It doesn't sound like the conversations I would want to hear at a quilt shop.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 PM

I think you should stop going to that group. As some have mentioned, maybe you can get another one started where you initally began, LQS, and bring your friend with you.

I was a member of a nation wide group, but did not care for the people that were organizing the local chapter. It did feel like a "clique" where I was an "outsider".

It seemed like people were just thinking of a reason to "B..tch" and if there was not one, they would invent it! It's funny because I heard I was in the middle of some "issue", and had never even heard about the issue!

I join groups to have fun, make friends, and enjoy my project. If it's not working, it's time to get out.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 PM

If its no fun, dont go. Take a new class at the LQS, one that is several weeks long so you can get to know some fellow students. Then invite a few to continue to learn the subject. Invite some that you can learn from and some that you can help. Serve some cookies and coffee. Keep it light and friendly and focused.
Beth