Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
steam irons >

steam irons

steam irons

Old 05-11-2014, 01:47 PM

I bought my last iron from Walgreens for about $11. Works OK for me. I only use steam when ironing cloths.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 PM

I have a heavy Sunbeam not sure which style that is my workhorse for large projects is 10yrs old,also have the cordless Panasonic that stays on my cutting table when needed for small ironing I just push the button when I'm getting close to using it & it's really to in a bout a minute or so that one is 2yrs old and I have the Clover mini Iron II that is 5yrs old & still in the packaging lol looking at the Hobby Lobby price on it $40.99 I sure hope I used a coupon on it
Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 PM

Yes, I also heard the Rowentas from China aren't the same as those from Germany. For several years now I've read so many complaints on the Board about sputtering Rowentas so I wouldn't consider the brand. I have an 12 year old black Sunbeam with a non-stick plate which, though it's big, but not heavy, is a gem. I mainly use it dry, but it steams v. well also. I have an older, smaller, very inexpensive Sunbeam which is going strong, too. Look for one of those really old, heavy irons from years back at yard sales...I hear they're priceless for dry ironing , though heavy, and use a spray bottle for steam pressing fabrics.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by angelarose View Post
Yes, I also heard the Rowentas from China aren't the same as those from Germany.
Yes there is definitely a difference in quality. I prefer the German made ones.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 AM

My current iron is a $30 Shark and I like it quite a bit. I use it without the steam most of the time, however I keep water in it and hit the steam button when I want a shot.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:22 AM

I loved my Shark until it started spitting and leaking. I found out it is because I used distilled water in it. I looked up all the reasons why they suggest using tap water. I'm using that now to see if it can fix itself, but will probably buy another one.

It made me wonder if so many complaining about their high end irons leaking and spitting is because they used distilled water?

It reacts differently to temperature. I had always noticed my Shark would not steam if the tank was less than 1/2 full also.

I would like to get one of those nice Olisio irons that rests on it's sole-plate but rises off the surface.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM

Irons. A topic everyone can contribute to.

I bought an old (1960's?) travel iron on ebay for the quilt studio. That iron is smoking hot! You can very quickly slide it over the fabric and it is ironed. I bought a 2nd one as backup but may have to bring it into the house for ironing clothes. I am amazed at how quickly it irons. It does have a little screw-on plastic water bottle for steam but I use starch and don't want to mess with water in the iron. I've had too many mess up.