Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
steel wool as a needle sharpener >

steel wool as a needle sharpener

steel wool as a needle sharpener

Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 AM

I guess I misunderstood the "steek wool.needle sharpener" idea..I thought u just held the bag in your hand ran your needle thru it, as if sewing but with out thread..... I never would have thought to put it under the presser foot of my machine and run the needle thru that way....
Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rdorminy
I've used the spray can top/steel wool pin cushion for years. I had a Brownie Troop and we made them for Mothers day, smile. What goes round comes round. Best pin/needle cushion in my collection.
yep, I made my first one for my mom in GS when I was 10! She still has it...only changes the SOS pad once a year on Mother's day! she also replaced the denim top with silk..makes the pins slide in and out easier she says.heheheh
Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 AM

What about "sewing through" fine sandpaper without the machine threaded. Will this damage the bobbin casing area?

I've used this technique before, not on a daily basis, but used it at least once a year.

That's another quick trick for an emergency back up that I use if I'm out of sewing machine needles for that day.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cctx.
What about "sewing through" fine sandpaper without the machine threaded. Will this damage the bobbin casing area?

I've used this technique before, not on a daily basis, but used it at least once a year.

That's another quick trick for an emergency back up that I use if I'm out of sewing machine needles for that day.
if that sand gets into the bobbin race it can cause it to freeze up...
Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 AM

I've seen this hint many times over the years. As long as you clean the bobbin area afterward you should be fine.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom

I've seen this hint many times over the years. As long as you clean the bobbin area afterward you should be fine.
You're right, and keeping it oiled as needed.
I'd rather use the sandpaper, not sure on that steel wool.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Banned

instead of sandpaper, at the hardware store look for EMERY cloth...it is in the same dept and you can buy by the sheet!
it is black and contains the same emery powder that used to fill the strawberry needle emerys! I would also put a piece of cloth over and under it just in case!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
instead of sandpaper, at the hardware store look for EMERY cloth...it is in the same dept and you can buy by the sheet!
it is black and contains the same emery powder that used to fill the strawberry needle emerys! I would also put a piece of cloth over and under it just in case!
Thanks for the tips Jacqui!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Or you could fancy it up ... and do the tea cup and saucer pin cushions!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Those are cute! i made some for gifts a few years ago. I hunted aound goodwill till i found pretty matching ones.