Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Still "bargellowing" here and seeking advice... >

Still "bargellowing" here and seeking advice...

Still "bargellowing" here and seeking advice...

Old 11-28-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Still "bargellowing" here and seeking advice...

Okay, I have made a small (really small) bargello to get the feel of doing the bargellow technique, and I am almost ready to make a larger quilt.

I selected some fabric, took a picture, and I was printing in black and white so I could see the value better, but I used up all my black ink cartridge!! So, here is what I am looking at. The pattern calls for eight of one color and 12 of another, ranging from light to dark.

Can you tell if I have these arranged from light to dark? (I will buy a new cartridge tomorrow, If I decide to venture out on Black Friday. I normally avoid that shopping day.

Thanks,
Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001586.jpg  
Old 11-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Looks like it to me. But see what everyone else says.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:24 PM

Here it is in B&W.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449019[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails s8001586.jpg  
Old 11-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Top one looks great. Bottom row looks like it needs some rearranging.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=katier825;6428819]Here it is in B&W.

Oh!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Dina
Old 11-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Katier825 you amaze me. You are very thoughtful and helpful. Some of the nicest people in the world are on this board.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:07 PM

This is why I work in both B&W and color.

In the B&W version - top row far right. I would move it to the 2nd position from the right. But when I look at it again in color ... I don't like it. Value wise it belongs 2nd from right, but the color is wrong. Do you have a darker purple you can use instead?? Or even a black.

On the bottom row put them in the following order (I numbered them left to right)

1 2 3 5 6 4 7 8 9 12 11 10 13 14

then take another picture, we'll change it to B&W for you ... and we'll have another look. I moved too many of them to imagine what the resorting looks like

I also might add that with a bargello pattern that calls for two colors, you might want to consider two completely different colors. These two come close to running into each other.

Lastly ... you have one stripe fabric in there. Stripes are great in bargello providing you cut them across the stripes - not with the stripes.

And remember ... don't rush it. Sometimes I spend several days rearranging and choosing different fabrics for the mix. The bargello in my avatar took me about a week just to pick fabrics (working on it a little every day).
Old 11-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Okay, DogHouseMom, thank you soooo much for your help!! I am learning more each day about the Bargello, and I know tons more than I did last week...

The Bargello I am going to do is this one. http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com...bargellos.html

And, here is the picture of the fabric rearranged like you suggested.

On the top row, the very last one is my favorite fabric, so I will just leave it. And I only need 8 fabrics there and have 11, so I have some play room yet. I may just eliminate the one to the left of it.

On the bottom row, I have 14 fabrics and need 12. Do you think I should leave that stripe out? (I didn't even realize it was a stripe until you mentioned it.)

I have been pondering fabric for several days so far, and I am trying not to rush. I also plan on visiting 2 fabric stores early tomorrow, just to see if I spot something else I might prefer.

I really appreciate your help!! This is fun, and maybe it will teach me patience.

Thanks again, everyone.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001588.jpg  

Last edited by Dina; 11-28-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 11-28-2013, 04:55 PM

Ok - here's your B&W conversion.

On the top row if you need to remove three ... suggest the first from the left (too light and almost identical to the one on far left of bottom row), either the 4th or 5th from the left, and either the last or 2nd to the last on the right.

On the bottom row ... remove the 8th from the left (the one with leaves), and one other in the middle somewhere - whatever you like the least.

Give me a few more minutes with it ... still contemplating the bottom row.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:06 PM

The 5th from the right on the bottom is bothering me. Value wise it belongs in a different place than colorwise. Perhaps remove this one??

Other than that ... swap the 3rd and the 4th from the right with each other.

Definitely keep the stripes, they give great texture to bargello as long as you cut across the stripes and not lengthwise to the stripes.

If you do go shopping ... cut a small strip (1" x 3") from each of the fabrics (even the ones you don't plan on using) and staple them together in the order that you plan on using them. You can then see what you have alongside what you are contemplating purchasing.

One more piece of advise with regard to using prints in bargello. Try not to use any print that has an area that has a color change larger than the smallest bargello piece you will cut. For example ... if the smallest strip you will cut is 1/4" x 3" long ... don't choose a print with 3" blue flowers on background that shows 3" of green. Reason being is that you are bound to run into a piece somewhere that is showing all green and no blue, thus ruining the visual "run" of blue.

It's looking good so far!!