Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the ditch >

Stitch in the ditch

Stitch in the ditch

Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

i'm like you maribeth, i'd much rather do everything myself even if that means its less than perfect.

congrats on the bailey, did you buy a frame with it or did you already have a frame?

i look forward to seeing pics of your progress.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:47 AM

Another Pfaff owner who has the SID foot. Love it as my free motion skills are pretty bad. May in Jersey
Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 AM

Klue,

When I started this whole quilting for therapy thing after my mom died last year I let myself be talked into purchasing a Grace Pinnacle frame w/the 9" Babylock Professional Quilter. Which, btw, is a fabulous straight stitch machine for piecing, but I am just not coordinated enough to be able to get a quilt rolled up in that 9" space for quilting. :oops: I know it's me and you and many others can do it with little problem. So, I decided if I am really going to do this myself I have to accomodate my uncoordinated self and use the Bailey.

I have to figure out the photo posting, I am just so not computer-able, maybe that skill is connected to the quilting uncoordination. (Did I just make up a word?)
Old 07-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Banned

maribeth

its not you, very large quilts have a hard time on a 9 inch machine. it would work for me only because i make wall hangings 90% of the time.

the utility quilts that i make from time to time our either for children (twin size) or a throw size.

i like the idea that the frames can take on even the largest bailey because you can at least keep your frame setup and just upgrade down the line like you did.

congrats it a beautiful toy to have.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 AM

I've managed to machine quilt a Queen size and a King size - BUT I did wavy lines, NOT FM, on the Q, and I used John Flynn's frame for the K. It WAS on my regular Pfaff, though with the standard throat. JF's frame just made it easier to guide the quilt. I did straight lines on the King. I'm gonna get out my Quilt scrapbook & find the pictures to post further down in this thread, so you'll see that it CAN be done LOL - but you add a few words to your vocabulary along the way :evil: :evil: :evil:
Old 07-25-2009, 11:37 AM

More -
These 2 are wedding quilts made for college classmates of my daughter.

The Red and Blue, a Margaret Miller inspired design, is called 'Big Game' because the bride and groom are from rival colleges, and 'Beat Cal' is hand quilted in the border. Made in 1993 when I was still hand quilting.

The other looks like a Parcheesi board to me, but it's Georgia Bonesteel's 'Mother's Amish Dream' - another fom '93 when I was still handquilting

Watermelons from one of GD's dresses.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17077[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-40324.jpe   attachment-40325.jpe   attachment-40326.jpe  
Old 07-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Here's the back of the 2003 wedding quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17900.jpe  
Old 07-25-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I'm not at all sure why it's popular. I am not all that keen on doing it, because it has the effect of not showing. Plus, if the seam allowances are both ironed in the same direction (i.e. towards the darker of the patches), then I find it quite hard to sew on the seam line anyway. If I do intend to SID, I often iron my seams open. Shock, horror. I reason that when quilters were advised to iron both to one side, it was probably in the times when patches were hand stitched, and at that point, were relatively weak. Now we mostly machine patches together, and in my case, I use quite a short stitch. Ironing them open is a little harder, but it is much easier to quilt over - you don't 'fall off' the higher side. If ironed open, it is also easier to hand quilt over the seams too. I don't seem to have any problem lining up patches either, though nestling in seams together when they are ironed both to one side is also good, except I often found that I had them ironed the wrong way to do that. Hey ho, life is ever thus.
I'm a "ditcher" and I learned a neat trick on Simply Quilts. They talked about the "wobbly stitch" for stitching in the ditch. It's the lowest setting on your zig zag width. It's just a slight zigzag. Try your best stitching over the seam, but with the zig and the zag being very slight, it's not as notiaceable when you do miss the mark. I did it on a couple of quilts (one with a thicker batting) and it really looked nice. Well, I thought so. :roll: Try it.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

joanne

what an outstanding job!! i'm amazed by what can be done on the flynn frame. i'm so happy with mine and it costs under $100 - you just can't go wrong.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:56 PM

I have done some large quilts on my Pfaff as well by rolling them. They are very difficult to handle. and of course there is much room for improvement with the quilting I have poured over the Harriet Hargrave books and just marvel at how she and Diane Gaudynski do such beautiful fm with a domestic machine. I recently purchased Ricky Tims dvd, Grande Finale & he quilts huge quilts without rolling them. The greatest thing I've got to overcome is uneven stitches. I would have loved to have been able to purchase a longarm a few years ago but now my hearts desire is a Bernina with stitch regulator. I bought a fabric mover but wasn't pleased with that so I returned it. I'm definitly looking for the easy button! I tried the John Flynn a few years ago but wanted to sid & the fm patterns wouldn't work with the horizontal look of the quilting I've also tried the EZ 1&2 but not pleased with that either. Anybody else out there that has tried all the gadgets??sorry to be so wordy but you all are the only ones that can really feel my pain :D
mollyo