Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which stitch? >

Which stitch?

Which stitch?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by lap quilter View Post
Welcome to QB! Very nice quilt. How about a combination...stitch in the ditch along the cross hatches, and a simple flower design in each square? Please post a pic when you're done.
I agree with everything lap quilter said. You've made a lovely quilt top and I think the combination would work very well.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

that would look good with 1/4 lines inside each triangle too. so many different ways to quilt it. good luck.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 PM

You did a really great job on your quilt.

As for quilting: what would you want to do? Are you using your DSM? You can meander [which is a stipple only larger] or draw a design. Practice on a quilt sandwich first though.

If you have lots of down time in many small amounts you might consider hand quilting it. Or yu just might want to do it by hand anyway. You can work on it at meetings, while watching TV with friends or family members, while at sports meets if you go there. You can take it with you to any appointments, except job hunting [joke.] There are tutes available online. You can use Tiger Tape if you want or not.

However you qilt it, remember to put on a label!

If you don't already belong to a quilt guild/group now would be the time to see if you could fit it into your schedule. I have learned soooo much from all my quilting buddies. The memories are precious.

The first quilt I ever made I hand quilted it and it looks great even after 45+ years. I hope it becomes an heirloom quilt in our family.

ali
Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

I love your quilt!!!

My advice is going to be a little different than others, I think. SID and FMQ can both be quite difficult for some of us. I quit doing traditional SID because I am a perfectionist and found it nerve-wracking trying to keep the line exactly where it was supposed to be (which I never achieved anyway). FMQ took a lot of practice for me.

My advice is to quilt over all the seams, but with a narrow zigzag stitch, a serpentine stitch (looks like a continuous S as it stitches out), or a decorative stitch. These stitches have some width to them, so slight deviations to left or right of the seam do not catch the eye at all. They are a much more relaxing way to quilt than SID or FMQ, in my experience. Experiment on a sample first. A lot of decorative stitches are awfully slow and take a lot of extra thread and may not be worth it.

Since you have such a geometric quilt, I would probably choose a narrow zigzag (not a satin stitch!). On my machine a stitch length of 2.5 and stitch width of 1.5 for the zigzag looks really nice. I just completed a colorful charity quilt using this zigzag on all of the seams and diagonals, and it turned out really nice. It's not traditional, but it's *very* sturdy! Charities for kids often prefer machine stitched binding for durability, so I used the zigzag to finish the binding too.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:39 AM

You go girl! Both have their advantages but I would try the all over meandering. It is a small piece and good for practicing your skills on. Welcome to the world of quilters. Just think how many quilts you will be able to create in a lifetime!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 AM

Mark your stipple lines with a wash out marker because this is not as easy as it looks. Nice quilt.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 AM

One thing I WOULD suggest. Go back and replace your straight pins with one inch safety pins. It holds the fabric securely and won't pull out and snag on your fabric like straight pins, and as you move your quilt around as you are quilting it, straight pins will tear your hands to shreds! (Ask me how I know!)
Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. SITD is not easy but stitching 1/4 inch away would be lovely and one I actually prefer over stipple. Don't forget a label!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I would either stipple or stitch NOT in the ditch, lol. I've always found stitching IN the ditch to be very difficult, so I'd recommend a straight stitch 1/4" out from the seams, like this: (scroll down to the 3rd picture for a close-up)

http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2012/...ume-quilt.html
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Good advice from everyone. I would use a larger stipple; it is quicker and will hold up well on that lovely quilt.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:13 AM

Stitch in the ditch will leave a little of puff to the car seat. Stipple will make it stiffer and not as soft.