Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitches per inch >

Stitches per inch

Stitches per inch

Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 PM

what is that thing bouncing around in your avatar window. it fascinates me.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dragonomine
What type of batting do you prefer?
I like the Poly Dream Select for wall hangings or lap quilts but I use Hobbs 80/20 for bed quilts.

I agree with all the above about loosening the quilt slightlyin the frame. I use a 10 quilting needle - you have to have the short needle and kind of rock it in and out. On a straight line, i put a couple of stitches on before pulling through.

When I started hand quilting, I was really unhappy with the results but then I read about concentrating more on the spacing than stitches per inch. Now it goes much better and I really enjoy it, it's so soothing to do sitting by the fire on winter evenings! I also find that if I turn the needle back up the VERY second I feel it prick my under finger, I get much closer stitches. I don't use any protection on my under finger - I've got a permanent callous! I think I average now about 5 or 6 stitches per inch. I have seen quilts in shows with as many as 11 - but I think if the stitches get really tiny, it doesn't look as effective - that's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it! :D :wink:

K x
Old 03-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by butterflywing
what is that thing bouncing around in your avatar window. it fascinates me.
LOL It's a clip from Finding Nemo.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 AM

it' very funny.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 AM

Years ago I participated in my county's quilt documentation project. We had appraisers who were experts from the DAR DAughter's of the AMerican Revolution in Washington, DC. look at the quilts. They counted the quilt stitches both back and front. I just checked the quilt I am currently working on and I get 10 stitches to the inch counting both back and front. I have gotten better and worse depending on the fabric and the batting and the condition of my hands. For many years I used a size 12 inbetween which is a very small needle. Since developing a rare autoimmune disease 9 years ago my fingers don't work nearly as well. I am currently using a 9.
The real test is the evenness of the stitches and getting the job done.
I can't think of anything in quilting I prefer more than the hand quilting.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
Years ago I participated in my county's quilt documentation project. We had appraisers who were experts from the DAR DAughter's of the AMerican Revolution in Washington, DC. look at the quilts. They counted the quilt stitches both back and front. I just checked the quilt I am currently working on and I get 10 stitches to the inch counting both back and front. I have gotten better and worse depending on the fabric and the batting and the condition of my hands. For many years I used a size 12 inbetween which is a very small needle. Since developing a rare autoimmune disease 9 years ago my fingers don't work nearly as well. I am currently using a 9.
The real test is the evenness of the stitches and getting the job done.
I can't think of anything in quilting I prefer more than the hand quilting.
I never know if you count back and front? I was only counting front, so that means I get 10 too!!! :D Wow, I'm impressed with myself! Hey, Melissa, I couldn't even thread an itty bitty needle like a twelve! Must be fine as baby's hair!

I'm so sorry about your hands - a quilter's nightmare :(

K x
Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 AM

I took a 2 hour hand quilting class at my LQS. Wow..it really helped as I was going about it all wrong!! Its not stitching like your mother taught you!! My problem (well, my biggest problem!!) seems to be getting the 1st stitch on the needle, the rest is just ALOT of practice. I used #9 betweens and dark thread on muslin to practice. I enjoy it, although one day I'd like to have some sort of stationary hoop or frame. Good luck, and don't be too hard on yourself..its supposed to be for fun!!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Boy, you guys are pros! I'll never get that many stitchs in an inch.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janstar
Boy, you guys are pros! I'll never get that many stitchs in an inch.
Course you can, Jan - I was rubbish when I started and nearly gave up, one day it just 'clicked'!

K x
Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM

I like best and generally use Hobbs Heirloom Premium batting, though it really depends on the quilt, who it is for and whether it will be quilted by hand or by machine. I like the feel and the look after you have finished the quilt. It just has that 'old time' look :lol: