Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: STITCHING IN THE DITCH

  1. #26
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    I am going to do it the way Shadow reccommended bc I agree that right in the channel of stitches may pierce threads and weaken the seams. To each his own. Some press seam allowances open, some don't. :-)

  2. #27
    Senior Member Nita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Hi,

    The only machine quilting I do is a stitch in the ditch with a decorative or at least zig zag stitch. I figure it strengthens the piecing. I like to use varigated thread in both the top and bottom. Some times I just machine tie the quilt by setting my automatic button hole to the smallest size, making a very small button hole without a hole and then lifting the presser foot and moving to another spot. I have a lot of strings to cut afterward but the buttonhole is backstitched at both the beginning and the end. Either method works well for Linus or other chairty quilts as they will be washed a lot more than those of us who quilt would.
    My guild makes LOTS of service project/charity quilts where we opt to just tie the quilts, in the best interest of time. We've always hand tied, but I love this idea about using the buttonhole feature and variegated threads. I plan to pass this time saving tip onto the "girls". Thanks, mpspeedy! Nita

  3. #28
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    mpspeedy wrote:
    Hi,
    The only machine quilting I do is a stitch in the ditch with a decorative or at least zig zag stitch. I figure it strengthens the piecing. I like to use varigated thread in both the top and bottom. Some times I just machine tie the quilt by setting my automatic button hole to the smallest size, making a very small button hole without a hole and then lifting the presser foot and moving to another spot. I have a lot of strings to cut afterward but the buttonhole is backstitched at both the beginning and the end. Either method works well for Linus or other chairty quilts as they will be washed a lot more than those of us who quilt would.


    My guild makes LOTS of service project/charity quilts where we opt to just tie the quilts, in the best interest of time. We've always hand tied, but I love this idea about using the buttonhole feature and variegated threads. I plan to pass this time saving tip onto the "girls". Thanks, mpspeedy! Nita

    I agree a decorative stitch like this w/ variegated thread could not only strengthen, but look good on some colorful kids quilts. I'll probably do some of that too! we are only limited by our imaginations and lol, lack of knowledge. That's part of what i am here for, bc there is plenty of it! :D
    P.S. My gma always said two heads were better than one. She never had any exposure to computers. This would probably have thrilled her to no end, to have all these friends and information about a favorite subject/hobby.

  4. #29
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,223
    I use the stitch in the ditch foot when sewing the binding to the back of the quilt. It makes staying in the ditch so easy. I have a hard time sewing a straight line and the foot keeps me straight.

  5. #30
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    good idea! :-)

  6. #31
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,223
    I also use Fons and Porters glue stick to hold the binding to the back of the quilt. It hasnt gummed up my machine at all. But I am careful not to put it past the stitch line.

  7. #32
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,717
    YES, you all are brilliant! I have a Janome 11000 for which I bought (separately) a rather expensive stitch-in-the-ditch foot and I was surprised to find that, when using this foot, my stitching was just to the right of the seamline stitches. I thought this was not right because I was under the impression the stitches should be right on top of the seam stitches. I am SOOOO glad to hear that I was wrong about that and that my stitch-in-the-ditch foot exactly does what it's supposed to do! Thank you!

  8. #33
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Hmmm, I better take a closer look at mine to see exactly where it stitches...as with most things...it just might be smarter than I am :oops:

  9. #34
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    lol, sandpat, I don't think it's your less smart than your machine. I think some of them may have been kitty cats in past life bc they do what they want and expect us to follow suit. meooow! :D

  10. #35
    Cat
    Cat is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6

    I think the first reason for stitching in the ditch is to quilt the sandwich together almost as invisable as possible. But if invisablity isn't needed just durablity than put your stitches as you wish .

  11. #36
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,764
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    YES, you all are brilliant! I have a Janome 11000 for which I bought (separately) a rather expensive stitch-in-the-ditch foot and I was surprised to find that, when using this foot, my stitching was just to the right of the seamline stitches. I thought this was not right because I was under the impression the stitches should be right on top of the seam stitches. I am SOOOO glad to hear that I was wrong about that and that my stitch-in-the-ditch foot exactly does what it's supposed to do! Thank you!
    Me too. Hahaha. All this time, I've been moving the needle to stitch over the stitches. :oops:

    This is something I've used and it works out great. One of Alex Anderson's guests on Simply Quilts had showed the "wobbly stitch." It's the narrowest zig-zag that your machine will make. It's barely a zig-zag at all -- just kind "off" being straight. Well, it works well for the times you just can't go "straight between the piecing." It kinda catches on both sides. I did a whole quilt with that stitch using a neutral thread. Worked out well. :wink:

  12. #37
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    lol, sandpat, I don't think it's your less smart than your machine. I think some of them may have been kitty cats in past life bc they do what they want and expect us to follow suit. meooow! :D
    Well now, that does sound like a "Purrrfect" excuse to me~ I'll go with that one :wink: :lol: :lol:

  13. #38
    Super Member mar32428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Winter PArk, Florida
    Posts
    1,146
    Just attended the local quilt show and saw many quilts with decrative stitching on the seams. I think anything goes today as long as it pleases the quilt maker.

  14. #39
    Super Member mar32428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Winter PArk, Florida
    Posts
    1,146
    What's that old saying? When all else fails, read the book.

  15. #40
    Sally Dolin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    63
    If you are stitching on the side with none of the seam allowance you will NOT be getting the reinforcing your looking for. If you sew on the other side your thread is going through top fabric, 2 seam allowances, batting and back. Much stronger.
    Happy stitching
    Sally Dolin

  16. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1
    My quilt guild does a lot of "comfort quilts" for the Coalition Against Domestic Violence. I learned to do a wavy "stitch in the ditch" and it adds strength and character.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.