Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: STITCHING IN THE DITCH

I am going to do it the way Shadow reccommended bc I agree that right in the channel of stitches may pierce threads and weaken the seams. To each his own. Some press seam allowances open, some don't. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Hi,

The only machine quilting I do is a stitch in the ditch with a decorative or at least zig zag stitch. I figure it strengthens the piecing. I like to use varigated thread in both the top and bottom. Some times I just machine tie the quilt by setting my automatic button hole to the smallest size, making a very small button hole without a hole and then lifting the presser foot and moving to another spot. I have a lot of strings to cut afterward but the buttonhole is backstitched at both the beginning and the end. Either method works well for Linus or other chairty quilts as they will be washed a lot more than those of us who quilt would.
    My guild makes LOTS of service project/charity quilts where we opt to just tie the quilts, in the best interest of time. We've always hand tied, but I love this idea about using the buttonhole feature and variegated threads. I plan to pass this time saving tip onto the "girls". Thanks, mpspeedy! Nita

mpspeedy wrote:
    Hi,
    The only machine quilting I do is a stitch in the ditch with a decorative or at least zig zag stitch. I figure it strengthens the piecing. I like to use varigated thread in both the top and bottom. Some times I just machine tie the quilt by setting my automatic button hole to the smallest size, making a very small button hole without a hole and then lifting the presser foot and moving to another spot. I have a lot of strings to cut afterward but the buttonhole is backstitched at both the beginning and the end. Either method works well for Linus or other chairty quilts as they will be washed a lot more than those of us who quilt would.

My guild makes LOTS of service project/charity quilts where we opt to just tie the quilts, in the best interest of time. We've always hand tied, but I love this idea about using the buttonhole feature and variegated threads. I plan to pass this time saving tip onto the "girls". Thanks, mpspeedy! Nita

I agree a decorative stitch like this w/ variegated thread could not only strengthen, but look good on some colorful kids quilts. I'll probably do some of that too! we are only limited by our imaginations and lol, lack of knowledge. That's part of what i am here for, bc there is plenty of it! :D
    P.S. My gma always said two heads were better than one. She never had any exposure to computers. This would probably have thrilled her to no end, to have all these friends and information about a favorite subject/hobby.

I use the stitch in the ditch foot when sewing the binding to the back of the quilt. It makes staying in the ditch so easy. I have a hard time sewing a straight line and the foot keeps me straight.

good idea! :-)

I also use Fons and Porters glue stick to hold the binding to the back of the quilt. It hasnt gummed up my machine at all. But I am careful not to put it past the stitch line.

YES, you all are brilliant! I have a Janome 11000 for which I bought (separately) a rather expensive stitch-in-the-ditch foot and I was surprised to find that, when using this foot, my stitching was just to the right of the seamline stitches. I thought this was not right because I was under the impression the stitches should be right on top of the seam stitches. I am SOOOO glad to hear that I was wrong about that and that my stitch-in-the-ditch foot exactly does what it's supposed to do! Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, I better take a closer look at mine to see exactly where it stitches...as with most things...it just might be smarter than I am :oops:

lol, sandpat, I don't think it's your less smart than your machine. I think some of them may have been kitty cats in past life bc they do what they want and expect us to follow suit. meooow! :D

Cat

I think the first reason for stitching in the ditch is to quilt the sandwich together almost as invisable as possible. But if invisablity isn't needed just durablity than put your stitches as you wish .

Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    YES, you all are brilliant! I have a Janome 11000 for which I bought (separately) a rather expensive stitch-in-the-ditch foot and I was surprised to find that, when using this foot, my stitching was just to the right of the seamline stitches. I thought this was not right because I was under the impression the stitches should be right on top of the seam stitches. I am SOOOO glad to hear that I was wrong about that and that my stitch-in-the-ditch foot exactly does what it's supposed to do! Thank you!
    Me too. Hahaha. All this time, I've been moving the needle to stitch over the stitches. :oops:

This is something I've used and it works out great. One of Alex Anderson's guests on Simply Quilts had showed the "wobbly stitch." It's the narrowest zig-zag that your machine will make. It's barely a zig-zag at all -- just kind "off" being straight. Well, it works well for the times you just can't go "straight between the piecing." It kinda catches on both sides. I did a whole quilt with that stitch using a neutral thread. Worked out well. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    lol, sandpat, I don't think it's your less smart than your machine. I think some of them may have been kitty cats in past life bc they do what they want and expect us to follow suit. meooow! :D
    Well now, that does sound like a "Purrrfect" excuse to me~ I'll go with that one :wink: :lol: :lol:

Just attended the local quilt show and saw many quilts with decrative stitching on the seams. I think anything goes today as long as it pleases the quilt maker.

What's that old saying? When all else fails, read the book.

If you are stitching on the side with none of the seam allowance you will NOT be getting the reinforcing your looking for. If you sew on the other side your thread is going through top fabric, 2 seam allowances, batting and back. Much stronger.
    Happy stitching
    Sally Dolin

Banned
    My quilt guild does a lot of "comfort quilts" for the Coalition Against Domestic Violence. I learned to do a wavy "stitch in the ditch" and it adds strength and character.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2