Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stolen quilt / Oklahoma >

Stolen quilt / Oklahoma

Stolen quilt / Oklahoma

Old 10-07-2011, 06:19 AM

Just a point to make always take a picture of the quilt. Sew somewhere on the inside your name and that will help hopefully in finding it.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:34 AM

I'm so sorry about the missing quilt. I will pray that it turns up as I can only imagine how precious it is to you.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
This is a crying shame, I am in TN but if I see anything like that I will be sure to get it back for you!

Billy
Thank you so much Billy...you cant miss the big blue jeans butterfly in the middle.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
I also hope you are able to find it, as I can imagine it means a lot to you! A few years ago I had 2 rings stolen that my grandma had left me. And actually monetarily they weren't worth much, but to me they were priceless! I am sure whoever took them didn't get a lot of money for them, and certainly did not take them because they loved them...It makes you feel so violated when that happens...
Kif
Yes it does, I had my mothers baby ring stolen too...it breaks your heart. So sorry to hear about your rings!!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
Originally Posted by catzlaw
I wish there was a photo of it, it would make things easier. I am offering a reward too...I forgot to mention. Thank you.
Considering the story behind the quilt and the fact you are offering a reward, I think you stand a fair chance of getting at least one media outlet to fdo a "human interest" story based on it.

Put together a brief biography of your grandmother that highlights anything notable she did in her life and/or the reason she made such an impression on you. If you have a good picture of her, include a copy. Estimate the number of hours you spent creating that quilt. Give the name(s) of the police you had contact with, their professional number and whatever information they gave you. Talk about how this is irreplaceable and how your insurance company is (or isn't) handling it. Mention the reward. Do some research and see if other quilts in the area have also been stolen.

The purpose of this packet is to give to a reporter, which gives as much of the foundation for a report as possible. Ideally, all the reporter would have left to do is make a few calls to collect quotes.

Then look at your local media outlets (papers, TV, radio, etc). Figure out exactly which reporter at each outlet does stories like this; focus on reporters who write about family hardships, pets, neighbourhood issues, etc. Send your packet of information addressed to each reporter in care of the outlet they work for.

Include a cover letter that says why you believe your story might be a good one for this particular reporter to cover. You can mention other stories that reporter has done that somewhat resemble yours in some way (everyone loves to hear that their work has been noticed and appreciated).

Be sure to include your own contact telephone numbers and the easiest time(s) to reach you.

Good luck!
Thats a great idea, and I WILL write them, thank you SO MUCH! My grandmother meant the world to me, and the quilt does mean a great deal. Thankyou again!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Luna8
So sad :-( I live around the OKC area, I'll keep my eyes out when I go to the flea market.
Thank you Luna, you can't miss the big Butterfly! bless you!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
Sorry about your quilt. Why would anyone what to steal a quilt?
The police thought they probably put the items they were stealing (antiques) on the bed, then just bundled the quilt up and ran with it, it wasnt the only blanket missing, so Im sure thats what happened.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by catzlaw
Originally Posted by Dina
Oh, I hate to hear that your quilt was stolen. I hope someone out there finds it and you get it back!
I hope so too Dina, thank you.
Maybe you could call or send a letter to all the Goodwill/donation places in you area so they can watch for it. I hate to say it but maybe call all the trash collectors in your area.
Even put up flyers all around town telling about it. Someone knows something. Would a news station maybe to an investigative story for you?
Good luck I hope it turns up.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
You may want to distribute the information to any local thrift stores also. Unfortunately these things often end up there and they can keep an eye out for it. Often these people that rob homes just grab something to bundle up or cover the items they carry out and wouldn't have any interest in the quilt itself.
It disguises them so the neighbors won't get suspicious. Sorry this happened to you. I have a quilt that has fabric in it from my deceased DIL and would be heart broken if something happened to it. It is ear marked for her daughter when she gets old enough to appreciate it. Ann in TN
I think thats what happened too, as they dook another blanket too and LOTS of stuff, mainly antiques...but Im more concerned with the quilt. Sorry about you DIL...thats wonderful you are saving it for her daughter. bless you.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 AM

We need to create a place to post this kind of thing. Although mine wasn't stolen, my daughter left it at a friends house and it never returned home...they said that they had never seen it. It was made for my daughter when she was about 14, and she is now in her 40's, so it has been gone a long time. It is pictured on the left and I would love to have it back. Hope you have luck finding yours....