Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor >

Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor

Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor

Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 PM

That's funny, my cats never bother my pins! I had no idea cats stealing pins was a thing!! We're renting so I can't put up a screen door but when we own again I definitely want to do that.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 PM

We have three kitties here, and they looooove quilts and fabric and batting ... I have made multiple " kitty quilts" in a sad attempt to appease them into laying on said designated quilts, but no. They will lay all over it during construction , but as soon as I put it somewhere for just for them to lay on, they refuse to use it !

I use my large square up rulers to cover pieces on the table when I am working and need to run to another room, otherwise it is in a clear tote.

The hardest thing for me is that they can hear me turning the iron on from 3 floors away ! They LOVE laying on a nice hot ironing table ! I buy lint rollers by the case !
Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 AM

The thing my cats do worst is chase fabric strips while I'm chain piecing. I'm constantly batting them away. My older kitty really loves sewing machines or anything mechanical. She want to cuddle them lots. My youngest was really into my pincushions for awhile but I talked him out of that (they can be trained -- sort of). I also use books and rulers to secure things from paws, but I totally let them sleep on my uncut or sewn fabrics. I figure I'll wash them before giving them away anyways so I may as well let them get a little kitty love.

Last edited by Cedar; 10-08-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Silly typo
Old 10-08-2014, 01:46 AM

I don't have cats, but I do have a story about my dog from the other day. I was paper piecing and had to make a teeny four patch to begin using 1 1/4" squares. So I reached over to pick up a tiny square, and found that the little stack wasn't there. I searched everywhere, all over the floor and couldn't find them anywhere...until I looked at my dog, who was walking around the room with a stack of tiny squares on his head! Made me laugh so much!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
That is funny! We had a sweet dog that passed away early this year named Jo Jo, and he would pull off any little tag sticking out of a stuffed toy as if he thought it was a real animal and shouldn't have that thing stuck on it. lol...
My dog goes for the tag first, and then plays with the toy..
Old 10-08-2014, 03:22 AM

Pins out of a cat's innards is an expensive operation. Consider the fabric that cost represents. Losing a cat to a pin is even worse than blowing fabric money if you don't have to.

How about an appropriately sized, shallow plastic box with a lid with a catch of some sort? That would corral your pieces and stacks as well as anything else with pins. Only a very little of that fabric money involved. Your pin loving critter could bat at the box, sit on it, etc. and both of you would be well and happy. Well and happy are big words at my house.

Staff for 2 Ragdoll Cats
Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

Not only cats. but if I left something on the couch or chair, my Westie always loved to lay on my work in progress,
Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 AM

Nibbs likes the sewing room, but has learned that it's a place to either sleep on a wad of fabric or go sit in the window to see what's happening outside. She is my shadow, so she's always where I am. Mostly she stays out of trouble these days.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

My three cats are not allowed in my sewing room. I have a baby gate that locks and nothing for them to get upon inside or outside the gate, they won't jump over it.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:24 AM

this is what my cat used to do!
Attached Thumbnails cat-quilt.jpg