Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storgage Question--- Dies In or Out >

Storgage Question--- Dies In or Out

Storgage Question--- Dies In or Out

Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Default Storgage Question--- Dies In or Out

Lots of posters with new AC cutting machines. One more question please.

I keep the AC cutting dies in the wrappers with the idea sheet. They crinkle, they wrinkle and sometimes they tear. They can be a pain to get back into the wrapper too. Know what I mean?

If the wrapper tears, the dies are stored with just the idea sheet which protects the die. Long dies are stored in a tall hamper with a long die rack. Smaller dies and mats are stored upright in a plastic box with lid.

Do you store dies In or Out of the wrapper? Do you keep or discard those idea sheets?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-01-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-01-2018, 11:21 AM

I keep mine in the wrappers until the wrappers fall apart. After that, they’re out, but I keep the idea sheets over the blade side to help keep dust off them.

I have the 9” cube and it’s companion, but most of mine are individual dies that are stored in a couple of wire baskets that hang on my pegboard. The long 2.5” strip die is stored flat on the table behind my Sizzix Big Shot Pro.

I also have a number of paper and chipbaord cutting dies. To store those I repurposed a co uple of those plastic drawer units that used to hold VHS tapes.

Rob
Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 PM

I keep as many that fit in a 14x14x4 Iris storage box...I put the cutting mat on top of the dies for protection...
Old 07-01-2018, 09:12 PM

I was at Mulqueens in Phoenix AZ and saw the Accuquilt storage boxes and fell in love. Now my 6 x 6 in. dies and my 12 x 6 in dies are all in the boxes. The larger dies I have are in wire racks on their sides. I keep those dies in the wrappers and idea sheets too.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 PM

Toss the wrappers asap, take a photo of the ideas sheet and keep it on iPad, large dies kept on their sides bottom shelf of butchers trolley, smaller dies on sides in shelf units.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:48 AM

Good thread as I has asked before about how to store those large dies. Right now I'm storing 3 large ones flat on a very narrow/shallow shelf on my cutting table cause I can't find anywhere else in my current sewing room to put them. And my son made this shelf to my specs so before then I had to store them on totes on shelves which I was afraid they'd fall from.
But now I know what I'm going to ask my DH's brother in law to make for me when I move and set up the next sewing room.
In the meantime, I'll put a sheet of Bristol board over them to protect from dust - which lord knows there is enough of in this old house....
Old 07-02-2018, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I was at Mulqueens in Phoenix AZ and saw the Accuquilt storage boxes and fell in love. Now my 6 x 6 in. dies and my 12 x 6 in dies are all in the boxes. The larger dies I have are in wire racks on their sides. I keep those dies in the wrappers and idea sheets too.
I just saw those storage boxes on the site and considering them. This is the hamper I use for long strip dies and a second one for fabric bolts.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/aqu...05348&q=hamper

Thanks Everyone! Permission to toss those wrappers and idea sheets!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 AM

I bought the Accuquilt wire storage racks for the Studio dies. I made a dust cover to slip over them when not using - not fancy or lined. I toss the plastic wrappers and idea sheets go in a plastic sleeve that hangs on wire rack.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

I don't keep the wrapper. I have about 100 plus dies so keeping the wrappers would be too much. The dies are stored in racks on book shelves. The long dies are in racks, one end in each racks.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 AM

I, like onebyone one have many dies, many sizes......bought an "entertainment center" from goodwill $10, and found wire racks there too........shelves are marked A,B,C......and dies are sorted by sizes the same way.
, and marked A,B,C....hard copy list in a folder..so when I need one, look it up, find the shelf and there it is!