Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose.... >

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Old 09-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

So why not just buy something?
Or send your regrets and not show up?
Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 AM

So I finished the baby rag quilt this weekend. Except for this, it was a horrible weekend starting on last Thursday.

My DH was on his way to visit his DD and g/baby and he was going very slow...10 mph...and fell asleep at the wheel. He was ticketed but the only damage was to his car. Other car was fine. Then on Friday a.m. he had a job interview at 10am. He's been looking for his dream job for 9 yrs. with no luck. He fixed the front end of his car, but hood latch is broken and can't open it, and the grill was busted and used duck tape to fix it. Car overheated on the way home on Thurs. even. Left for his interview on Fri am. and on the way stopped to get gas. Called to say he had no money in is account because the auto pay to HomeDepot and drained his account. Said he'd call me in 5 mins. I waited 20 and no call. I called him and he was in his interview --- 30 mins. late. Then he called me 2 hours later and said he was out of gas and asked me to bring him gas. I had to leave a craft festival I've been waiting all year to go to, I got there where he said he was, and he was nowhere to be found. A good samaritan gave him some gas to get home. ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!! He called to tell me when I was in store buying the gas can and buying gas. Then on Saturday I worked on the quilt....no drama. Sunday, my DH was playing with G/kids jumping on the trampoline with my DGD's. I hear my 5 yr old GD scream bloody murder. She sprained her knee and has a possible fracture of her tibia because DH was bouncing her too high and she landed crookedly. DGD going to the orthopedic surgeon today to see if she needs a cast....Thanks again DH.

Needless to say. The quilt was the highlight of my week, but at least my DGD is doing ok today.

Quilt finished for my DH grandbaby. His daughter doesn't like me, never has, but at least the baby has a pretty quilt to remember me by.

Wondering what drama awaits me next..... sorry -- venting.....
Attached Thumbnails babyquilt1.jpg   babyquilt2.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
Even if I were making a quilt that I felt obligated to make, I would still want to make it the very best that I could. The quilt says a lot about the quiltmaker. Make it as nice as you can for the baby and for yourself. You'll be glad you did.
Couldn't say it any better than this! Thanks Kerry.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:52 AM

It turned out adorable and you were the bigger person and the baby will enjoy it.
All's well!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:46 PM

So here's the latest on the rag blanket and baby doll I made for the DIL's baby's 1st birthday. We were invited to the party that was - about 50 miles away - it was more of an adult party than for children. In fact, the baby didn't even get to open the gifts. Mommy said, on their side of town, the children don't open their gifts so the other children don't get upset. What????? That's the most fun for the kids is helping to tear open the gifts. Needless to say, tothat's the stupidest reason I've ever heard. Sounds pretty selfish to me....come to the party and watch the baby eat her cake and go home. They didn't even have a birthday cake for the kids to eat. That family is so strange.......
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Stitch124, thanks for sharing your story and quilt. When I have times like at you DIL's baby's birthday, I just know that what goes around comes around. Your DIL will probably surround herself with taboos and one day.....

And you know, sometimes I'm around to see it happen.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
So here's the latest on the rag blanket and baby doll I made for the DIL's baby's 1st birthday. We were invited to the party that was - about 50 miles away - it was more of an adult party than for children. In fact, the baby didn't even get to open the gifts. Mommy said, on their side of town, the children don't open their gifts so the other children don't get upset. What????? That's the most fun for the kids is helping to tear open the gifts. Needless to say, tothat's the stupidest reason I've ever heard. Sounds pretty selfish to me....come to the party and watch the baby eat her cake and go home. They didn't even have a birthday cake for the kids to eat. That family is so strange.......
Oh! My! Gosh!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Such a coincidence, my sister and I were talking yesterday about obligatory gifts. Have I made one? No, but I have given them. Surprisingly enough, each time they were happily received and I was graciously thanked. Sometimes, or maybe most times, life isn't about us, it's about everyone else. There must be a reason why your DH asked you to make a quilt or why you are making this in the first place, as it would be much easier to buy something equally as cute in much less time. My guess is your talent, and I feel that since you've decided on a hand made gift, you should sew it with as much care and happiness that you would any other.

I must admit I hadn't thought of the choking issue, but babies and toddlers tend to wrap themselves up in blankets, sometimes just by rolling and when they are young they don't have the dexterity to get themselves out. Please make this not a rag type. I would hate for this to be made regardless of consequence then have something grievous happen. You know, the Karma thing. You can't always keep the bad thoughts out of your mind, but you can keep them out of your heart.

They used to make pre-quilted panels for babies and children and all you had to do is put a blanket binding on the edge. I had made one for my daughter when she was three, it was a unicorn under a rainbow in an enchanted forest. She loved it and brought it everywhere. A few years later we were at the beach and that blanket was in our beach bag. We walked down to the water and when we came back our bag had been ransacked and all that was missing was that blanket. She still talks about that and she is 26 years old. They don't forget.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Quite frankly, if you don't have your heart in it, it's not worth the effort. Buy a gift and be done with it. Life is too short.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:07 AM

oops, too late! Never mind since you've already made it, lol.

It is really cute and bright and I love the footprints fabric. Nice touch with the doll too-I guess you got into it after all!