Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String quilt conundrum! >

String quilt conundrum!

String quilt conundrum!

Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Cute, fun quilt!! It will be lovely when you have it completed and you should be very proud of the terrific accomplishment.

I agree with Zozee and Rose_P Sometimes we just have to let our project settle in our mind's eye for awhile. May take longer than projects but the results will make us feel better and that we made good choices.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM

I love your string quilt. Over thinking a scrappy quilt takes the fun out of the process for me, my opinion. My OCD tendancies comes with the construction of the project rather than the color or block placement. The beauty of scrappy to me is that everything works. Scrappy is just as the name describes. Look at the beauty of the Gees Bend quilts. No rhyme nor reason but it works.

https://www.google.com/search?sa=N&r...&bih=670&dpr=2

Last edited by pewa88; 02-18-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:59 AM

I rarely do scrappy because I am 'color challenged'. What pleases me is often not pleasing to others. No problem. I give my scraps away. Sooner or later the scraps either make a quilt or are used as stuffing in animal beds.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM

This is going to be a great quilt. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM

Reading these posts makes me realize I don't have OCD nor am I color challenged. I just lay them out they way they come and enjoy them as they are. Doesn't bother me in the least and I am happy to have used at least some of the fabrics from my scrap pile. I did have a friend once that sounded like some of those who have posted and once I got her to let go, grab whatever came out of the bag and sew it, she has gone to the "dark" side and enjoys the freedom. So bottom line: try it, you might just like letting go and let scrap happen:-)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM

PS I Love the look of the quilt as it is posted!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-19-2019 at 05:02 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Letting it "cook" is really important for me. If numbering and replacing everything is overwhelming, maybe you could pin the blocks to your bed cover and gently roll it up for the night and use something else to sleep under. It just needs to cook until you're happy with it. Maybe don't even look at it for a week or two. It will seem much less complicated after awhile, and you'll be able to look at it more objectively. It will be a wonderful quilt no matter how you arrange those blocks - really!
I've already laid it out again.....on the bed! It's not that much trouble to do. And I've rearranged....and rearranged....and rearranged again. I have the purple strip more or less distributed, as well as the red and white, and I've walked away from it for awhile. I'll go back and see what jumps out at me -- if something does, it probably needs to be moved.....again. I remember reading, years ago, a tip on women's fashion. It said get dressed, with everything you planned to wear, including accessories. Leave the room briefly or look away, then look at yourself in a full length mirror -- this assumes that all women had one! -- and the first thing you see -- the thing that jumps out at you -- remove. That meant, of course, an accessory, not your skirt or pants or top!

And that's how I'll approach this, which, in fact, someone here suggested. If it "jumps out at you" it may be wrong or in the wrong place or too much. I'm probably never going to be completely happy with the inner triangles -- the hourglass -- but there's no help for that. They are not all the same size and I'm not going to rip and re-sew anything at this stage. Also, I note that some other string quilts also have that issue, so my attitude will be: if they can do it, so can I!

This has been a fun discussion. It's great for me to learn how others work and what bugs them and how they solve it. String quilts may not be for me......or at least the next one will be more "planned" -- which probably defeats the purpose, but, oh well. LOL.

Thanks again to everyone who commented! And for the compliments. This was just an effort to use up scraps and get back to quilt making and sewing in general, which I'd not done much of since last spring, though I did make pillowcases and little cosmetic bags, and rice filled heating pads as Christmas gifts.

Last edited by Friday1961; 02-18-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It looks good and just accept the fact that after you get it all quilted, you will find 2 fabric the same beside each other.
Ha Ha! This is so true! I agree with Tartan though, the placement looks fine :-)
Old 02-18-2019, 01:53 PM

You can take photos and look at them. You can usually see color placements that you would like changed.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

When I started using scraps I found it very hard. I was use to doing matchy matchy quilts. I just had to make sure two colors were not next to each other, not always easy.