Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String quilt fabric and size question >

String quilt fabric and size question

String quilt fabric and size question

Old 01-28-2019, 11:18 AM

Beautiful quilt. Please explain the ROYGVB Some meanings I can figure out, but this one escapes me.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

ROYGBV are the colors of the rainbow in that order...red/orange/yellow/green/blue/violet. Just a simple organization trick for me.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM

I use muslim backing for my string blocks which I cut 8 inches. Pick a color for a strip in the middle, black, white, blue, whatever, usually 1 1/2 inches wide. Add any color strips in all sizes, I cut mine between 1-1 1/2 inches wide. If you want to use wider strips, I would make the blocks at least 10 inches square. If I have any fabric 3 or 4 inches wide, I cut them in blocks, then in triangles for the ends of the block. I went to the auto glass place and had them cut a piece of plexiglass 7 1/2 inches square which I used to square up the block from the backside. Other people use paper foundation but after a few of these, I found I hated tearing the paper backing. This is just the way I do mine. Can't post pics cause I don't know how to do that. No method is written in stone. One more thing, they are addicting. Even when I'm supposed to be working on something else, nothing is as soothing to me as sewing string blocks.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by dorismae904 View Post
I use muslim backing for my string blocks which I cut 8 inches. Pick a color for a strip in the middle, black, white, blue, whatever, usually 1 1/2 inches wide. Add any color strips in all sizes, I cut mine between 1-1 1/2 inches wide. If you want to use wider strips, I would make the blocks at least 10 inches square. If I have any fabric 3 or 4 inches wide, I cut them in blocks, then in triangles for the ends of the block. I went to the auto glass place and had them cut a piece of plexiglass 7 1/2 inches square which I used to square up the block from the backside. Other people use paper foundation but after a few of these, I found I hated tearing the paper backing. This is just the way I do mine. Can't post pics cause I don't know how to do that. No method is written in stone. One more thing, they are addicting. Even when I'm supposed to be working on something else, nothing is as soothing to me as sewing string blocks.
Thanks, Doris. Soothing sounds really nice right now. I loved Moira's baby quilt, so I decided to copy it. It has been a bear. I've sewed and ripped and sewed again and then ripped again. I may put it aside and start something else. Of course, if I do that, it may end up in the trash. You'd think I'd learn my lesson on panels.

bkay
Old 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I want to make a string quilt. I have a lot of scraps. I have solids left over from bindings, scraps left over from I Spy squares, estate sales - you name it, I have it. However, a lot of it is really bright (I spy quilts). Do you sort them by color? By that do you do put all warm or cool colors? Or do you just put them in a bag and go with what comes out? ...bkay
Bonnie Hunter's books on string quilting are really helpful and wonderful eye candy--she covers all the basics which help put your Q&A--abt warm, cool, bright, etc.--into a working framework for creating string quilts. Her books each feature about 12 patterns ranging from structured or controlled (3-5 colors in a repeating pattern or block) to wild and totally scrappy, all beautifully illustrated and documented. The ideas and possibilities just keep coming.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:46 PM

Here's my bright scrappy String Me Along quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607568[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails string-me-along-2-qb.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 06:48 AM

I love this String Me Along. One of these days......
Old 01-29-2019, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Here's my bright scrappy String Me Along quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607568[/ATTACH]
That's gorgeous, Patrice.

bkay
Old 01-29-2019, 08:13 AM

love your quilt oksoglad and enough instruction for us to make a quilt..thanks...I think 2.5" would be fine but would look different. Need to also consider the weight of the quilt...small strips will make a quilt heavier especially if using fabric foundation so take that into consideration.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Thanks todiesmom...

Here's a link

http://lazygalquilting.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html

Me, I just sew bits of 1 1/2" in one long strip...then cut about 11" before I sew the 10 rows together for a block. I'm working on a second quilt now. When I get 10 11" strips I layer them atop each other and roll them in a flat ball and store them in a plastic container. I keep tally on a piece of paper of the number of sets of 10 I have rolled...have 17 balls right now or enough for 17 blocks so more than halfway through for a 5 x 6 setting if that's the size I want this time. This is a great mindless sewing project.

As far as heaviness especially on a larger size...a nice piece of minky alone would work fine, too.

Last edited by oksewglad; 01-29-2019 at 10:43 AM.