Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilt WITHOUT Foundation Piecing? >

String Quilt WITHOUT Foundation Piecing?

String Quilt WITHOUT Foundation Piecing?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM

I've made three-all with a foundation. They were easy to sew together that way after trimming. My foundation was used dryer sheets sewn together & cut to the size block I wanted. They finished out at about 9". My avatar is one of them.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
As long as you're not actually USING the snot ... Oh my. I didn't say that, did I?
wouldn't SNOT act as a starch?

oh man.. I'm gonna be duck those tomatoes too!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM

I've done strip piecing without foundations. But I also use a lot of starch when pressing.

But I'm not sure about the random stripe you want to add-maybe starch it some more?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM

UPDATE: What I thought was going to be a very fast, very simple project is ending up incredibly wonky. I absolutely will not do this with my batiks. They will get a foundation or QAYG treatment. Ugh. Some consolation that this mess is for my dog.

Yup. Just like I had said.
:wink:
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Candace
UPDATE: What I thought was going to be a very fast, very simple project is ending up incredibly wonky. I absolutely will not do this with my batiks. They will get a foundation or QAYG treatment. Ugh. Some consolation that this mess is for my dog.

Further update - got it all put together and added a border to make it closer to the size I wanted and happily started to stipple quilt it on my Baby Lock and **CLUNK** the machine froze. I am freaking out just a little bit. OK. A lot. Need that machine for my business. So in an already jam packed day, I will be trotting it off for repairs. Since it's less than a year old, I hope it won't be too bad. *SIGH*
Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

Further update - got it all put together and added a border to make it closer to the size I wanted and happily started to stipple quilt it on my Baby Lock and **CLUNK** the machine froze. I am freaking out just a little bit. OK. A lot. Need that machine for my business. So in an already jam packed day, I will be trotting it off for repairs. Since it's less than a year old, I hope it won't be too bad. *SIGH*
Oh no!!!!!
:thumbdown:
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 AM

Need to hear the rest of the story-the fabric pieces sound wonderful-the sewing machine-not so wonderful!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:51 AM

Think I'm getting jealous of all your finds.. I hit some estate sales, and don't find much of anything.. I get the Newsday, and maybe I'm not looking in the right places..
Barri
Old 10-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by barri1
Think I'm getting jealous of all your finds.. I hit some estate sales, and don't find much of anything.. I get the Newsday, and maybe I'm not looking in the right places..
Barri
Barri, keep looking. You'll find one sooner or later. I've stopped going. Tooooo much fabric!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 AM

OMG you guys are hilarious!!!!! It's "snot" really that funny..............oh jeez lolol