Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! >

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM

That's a no no! The accelerant has moisture in it and should never be used anywhere inside the sewing area. Ie; bobbin, tension.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Cow Magnets

.... I have one in the bottom of each of my pin dishes/trays. I just have to toss a pin in the direction and it gets pulled into the dish instead of bouncing off and onto the floor.
Yeah but do others know what cow magnets are and why dairy farmers use them. So will send these images. GKids love playing with them. Spend endless hours looking for metal to attach to them.
Silly woman!!! .... you KNOW they are so you can put the cow on the frig!! :lol: :lol:

They do wonders for holding notes on the frig and steel doors, too! :)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Another ....
* Baby change table!

I found a beautiful wooden colonial change table at a garage sale a couple years ago. Two shelves underneath and the change table on top with a nice stand up moulding at the back.

Then found some wicker basket/boxes to store WIP and the fabrics for them. Works great for storing all together til a project is done.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Another ....
* Baby change table!

I found a beautiful wooden colonial change table at a garage sale a couple years ago. Two shelves underneath and the change table on top with a nice stand up moulding at the back.

Then found some wicker basket/boxes to store WIP and the fabrics for them. Works great for storing all together til a project is done.
I'd love to have one of those to display my folded little quilts on! Lucky you.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Another ....
* Baby change table!

I'd love to have one of those to display my folded little quilts on! Lucky you.
Watch the Garage Sales ... I paid $20 and it's in really good condition.

You'd have LOTS of display area for those quilts. How about a baby crib? or cradle? One of the LQS here have bolts of fabrics in the old iron cribs. Kind of neat! Maybe what you need is a clothes line for the minis! :)
Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
Originally Posted by Baloonatic
. . .
Would large-lens cheap non-prescription glasses from Rite-Aid work if you wet the lens and stick on some red plastic wrap cut to fit?
Probably, though you may experience some halo effect from the water. Squeegee well to avoid bubbles.
i have bought red tailight lense repair tape from the automotive section to put on flashlight lenses. i wonder if it would work for glasses? the red on the flashlight lense keeps the light from destroying your night vision.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 PM

I use foam ear plugs on straight pins they are my homemade pinmores
Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 PM

A binder with sheet protectors for my patterns.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Cow Magnets

.... I have one in the bottom of each of my pin dishes/trays. I just have to toss a pin in the direction and it gets pulled into the dish instead of bouncing off and onto the floor.
Yeah but do others know what cow magnets are and why dairy farmers use them. So will send these images. GKids love playing with them. Spend endless hours looking for metal to attach to them.

But be sure the magnets don't get near your computerized machines. They can wreck havoc on the machines. Also, never get them near your computers. My computer teacher in college told us about the magnets. They will erase things.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by olebat

i have bought red tailight lense repair tape from the automotive section to put on flashlight lenses. i wonder if it would work for glasses? the red on the flashlight lense keeps the light from destroying your night vision.
Today I saw a small basket wrap for 99cents at Michael's. Ref the tape, the light can go through, but I don't think it would be thin enough to see through. Perhaps a red magic marker across those cheep glasses? Ya might also find a red plastic plate or something akin. Has to be transparent though.