Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clynns
    This subject is one of the best one's that I've read. It helps me alot to see what everyone else uses to aid in their quilting.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    At night I wear one of those thingys like a small miners headlamp focused on the needle area. Really helps. Magnetic dish from Harbor Freight for small scissors, seam rippers, etc. Telescoping magnet to get all the pins off the floor every night. One of those sticky rollers to get all of the loose thread off me and the quilt. I know there is more, but can't think.
    I use a head light for lighting on my treadle machine.

Singer 237 treadle machine
    Name:  Attachment-257138.jpe
Views: 487
Size:  42.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by leggz48
    No one has mentioned (or maybe I missed it) pizza boxes to separate projects....easy to stack....and to carry. I went to our local pizza restaurant asn asked if they would sell me a couple and she asked if that was all I wanted; so I said to make it 4. She gave them to me FREE.

I don't have room on my wall for a spool holder, but I have lots of shelves, so I use a graduated spice shelf (one that has 3 levels and telescopes out from maybe 6" to 12" that I found at the Container Store) for stacking my thread spools and cones.

Great I deals on the pizza boxes, I do use the ones we get our pizzas in, lined with aluminum foil to spray my pieces with spray adhesive, works great.

Great idea to insert a Q-tip for stacking a matching bobbin on top of the smaller spools. I haven't mastered a method for matching up cones and bobbins yet....any suggestions?

I use the revolving one and two-tier round kitchen storage shelves made for spices. Great for large spools of thread as well as odds and ends stored in pill containers. Handy for storing lots of small things in a small space on a shelf.

Rubbermaid makes this 2 tier one.
    Name:  Attachment-257166.bmp
Views: 529
Size:  57.5 KB

I use the Plano double sided fishing lure boxes for my bobbins; no more spilled or misplaced bobbins. My collection of machines of course don't use the same type of bobbins, its an easy way to keep them separated. I buy them at Wal-Mart.
    here's a link for them:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Doub...nizer/16351086

I use my "grabber stick" to pick up pins from the floor.
    It has a magnetic tip and works like a charm and I don't have to bend over...
    Also use old Altoid tins to hold used rotary cutter blades, use a 3 ring binder to hold all the blocks I copy off the computer.
    Wooden sish-k-bob stick for pushing material through machine.

dental picks (set) on ebay for tearing out seams

I also use pizza boxes for quilt blocks, I ask for them flat and fold the writing inside so they look nicer on the closet shelves. Other things in my sewing room:

Bulletin board for newspaper/magazine articles, name tag, future projects, etc.

Large Mug for holding pencils, machine oil & paper cutting scissors;

Plastic divided box for extra presser feet (I put felt squares in each; cushions feet and it easier to see contents;

My favorite pins from a florist, perfect length with plastic heads and have lasted for years;

Adhesive hooks to hold stencils on the side of my cabinet;

Tackle box tray for accessories; in sight under my Sew Steady table;

Bullet light by machine, hang tape measures and embroidery hoops, etc. on it;

Handled carry tub for quilting supplies;

Pieces of balloons for pulling needles when hand quilting.

Hemostat for turning things right side out.
    Painters tape
    bamboo skewers
    Freezer paper
    Parchment paper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
    This subject is one of the best one's that I've read. It helps me alot to see what everyone else uses to aid in their quilting.
    Ditto
    Ditto again.

Blog Entries
    right now Walmart has the plastic snap closed pencil cases for 25 cents. I use these cases to hold my needles, thread, scissors, and threader for each hand project, then place the kit and hand piece all in a ziplock bag. This gives me a complete project kit to carry out the door whenever I go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in WA
    The Bible.

Yes, it's true.

It is the perfect thickness to go under my heel so that I can run the pedal with the front part of my foot. Else my foot cramps up.

BTW, it is not the only Bible we have in the house; this one is an older one that gets little use. If someone needs this particular version, they can find it just as easily under my sewing machine as they can on the bookshelf!
    I'm sure this is recognized as "doing God's work"

The plastic containers that cakes come in are perfect for putting fabric & pattern in for your planned project, plus strips & 2, 3, &4 inch scrap blocks. They stack nicely & you can see what is in them.
    Plastic baby food containers with the lids for pins or other small things. I keep my bent pasting pins in them.
    Rubber shelf liner under my foot peddle & hand size pieces for controlling quilt instead of quilting gloves. I hate gloves of any kind & these are easy to move around & you don't have to keep putting on & taking off the gloves.

Blog Entries
    Washed Beneful dog food containers...

They stack beautifully and hold my pins, basting pins, rotary blades, etc. I have them labeled and stacked on a shelf.

they are small, about the size of baby food containers and have a recessed snap-on lid that stacks "connected" to the one below it.

I totally agree, it has been so much fun learning about all the things we can use for something other than the intended purpose. Everyone here is so nice and inventive and of all age groups.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Powell
    Lots of dollar stores have collophane. Look at christmas time for red. Good luck. I also find lots of discounted palstic bins drawers and organizing containers at the dollar general store micro fiber dust cloths 4 for 2.00 for keeping sewing room dust free.
    I've been using left over fleece for dusting and with my Swiffer. Picks up dust great and reusable.

For the pizza boxes ..... I cover them with contact plastic. Helps to make them sturdier, and of course, prettier! Then I insert a long shoe lace, so I can bring it around to the front and tie the box shut, instead of fiddling with trying to get the lid to insert.

Great way to take blocks to the LQS for show and tell, or to audition additional fabrics. As well as the home storage mentioned previously. And .... when taking WIP to show to quilter friends!

Blog Entries
    Keep all my quilts on the spare king bed, no wrinkles. Get to look at them all again when someone stays over and I have to take them all off. Change the top one for variety.
    Use a square of glass/plexiglass and dry erase markers to audition quilting designs over a block.
    Made own "big board" with plywood, batting, canvas, muslin and staple gun. Made a small take along one also.
    Daughter left hanging sweater & shoe bags, mine now for quilting supplies.

Right now I'm using the edge of my sewing table and a dining room chair to support my big ironing board. My regular ironing board died (the cat jumped on it and tipped it over) while I was pressing a quilt top so I had to improvise. Looks funny, it's slightly slanted, but I can still press my quilts!!! I'm so glad I made a big ironing board that can adapt to changes in it's support :thumbup:

I forgot that I use a large wood lazy susan on my cutting table with a small mat on it to a rotating mat.

If you have a long seam to take apart, this beats a seam ripper. You can get a package of them at the 99 cents store. It is a little eyebrow trimmer. Its a tiny razor in a protective cover and it works great !

I use the Parmesan Cheese containers from SAm's to hold smaller spools of thread and the animal cracker ones to hold large spools--after washing of course.

I like this idea, I will be doing this for sure... nice

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Old glass insulators for weights to hold anything down.
    Would love to get my hands on some ... I use the old sad irons for weights!
    My favorite weights are "3rd Hands". You just sew some about 4" squares or rounds of about 4" - right sides together - sew them twice. Leave a little hole on one side about an inch across.
    Turn - poke out the corners.
    and FILL THEM WITH PENNIES! Takes a few dollars worth,
    and they are heavy enough to hold anything down. Because they have a fabric surface they don't slip and they are heavy enough to keep fabric from slipping.
    That is why they call them a "Third Hand" !
    Jeannie

Cow Magnets

.... I have one in the bottom of each of my pin dishes/trays. I just have to toss a pin in the direction and it gets pulled into the dish instead of bouncing off and onto the floor.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast