Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid, stupid, stupid! >

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 PM
Gay

I've done this too, and just used some same colour fabric on the back with db sided iron-on adhesive, then some darning stitches with same colour thread. No one will notice, or care.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:17 PM

I wish you could change the title to, "Whoops, I made a mistake."
We all make them. This one sounds like another applique would be in order, but Gay's suggestion would work if the holes are small.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:49 AM

Is the quilt already quilted, If not, replace the torn strips in the blocks. Tedious but manageable.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:24 AM

Redo the applique, but make it a touch bigger. Stabilize the back.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:24 AM

Wow, such a great response to a once thought impossible problem! I am so grateful to all of you.
At this moment I believe either the ideas from Up North and Rhonda K will resolve my dilemma. So, off to my sewing area to fix my boo-boo.

Berry winecooler sounds like like an even better idea!��

relieved Renate
Old 10-28-2018, 06:06 AM

First - stop being so hard on yourself - we have all done this or something worse. After you have had a moment, you will realize this will not be a mistake but an opportunity to add a design element! It is a santa quilt, so, are they in spots to add small ornaments? a small wrapped christmas package? a peppermint candy applique? or even place a few stars in the same color as your center pieces of the log? If you scatter a few of these things around, everyone will think it is part of your design and will be amazed !!!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 06:25 AM

I'm glad things are getting better for you Tippysmom. If you've been quilting long enough similar things happen to us all... I can't tell you all the ways and times and sometimes reasons I've cut a quilt or otherwise had to do a major repair. The only other idea I can give you if the tears are on the log cabin part at the site of the applique is to consider an outline/shadow the shape of the Santa only a little larger, think of a half inch of black or whatever. I had a friend do that once, we all commented on how it made the applique pop out and she confided that it was "just a fix".
Old 10-28-2018, 12:54 PM

I fix a lot of worn out quilts for various other quilters, just completed one that was 50 years old and the young man passed away, so was very important that I correct it without disturbing the original design and fabrics. I use lace a lot to make repairs, the lace should match the color you are trying to fix, cream and white are my first choice, just use school glue and paint a light coat on the lace, tuck the pieces together as best as you can, let it dry then use your sewing machine with tiny stitches, do a zig zag perhaps, you may have to place a small piece of fabric or lace on the underside of your background, to help stabilize your work. Sometime I use crayola crayons so you cannot find the mend. If you use the crayons, lay a paper towel on the crayons marks, and hold a warm iron on the spot, to lift off any excess wax.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:13 AM

Can you enlarge the applique just enough to cover the rips and reapply it.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:22 AM

Applique is your friend when hiding little design elements you didn't mean to add.