Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stupid walmart employee ! >

stupid walmart employee !

stupid walmart employee !

Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Banned

I had told my daughter what a time I was having trying to find a 12 " metal zipper . I want to make a denim purse and didn't have a zipper for it . My daughter isn't into sewing and when she was at walmart she found a metal toothed zipper . Get this , it's a 22" separating zipper ! She found the employee that worked in fabrics and asked her if this could be used in a purse . The girl told her it could ! Can you believe this ? I can shorten this zipper but what a stupid employee ! It just goes to show you what unknowledgeable people they have ! :shock: :shock: Annie
Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM

Well, in a pinch, yes you could use that type of zipper. Maybe that's what the person was thinking.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator

a seperating zipper very well could work in a purse of the right design.

it isn't fair to expect folks who work in a fabric department to be experts at all types of sewing. do quilt shop employees all know everything there is to know about all types of sewing? i doubt it.

you're being awfully rough on that poor employee. you sent your daughter for a 12" zipper. it's hardly the employee's fault she settled on a 22" instead.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Banned

Sorry Ruth . Didn't mean to be so snippy about the employee . In fact I didn't send my daughter to get one for me , she was just trying to do me a favor . It just didn't turn out right . I am just a little put out with our walmart . The one near me got rid of all their fabrics and crafts . One 25 miles away only has limited fabric and notions . Walmart has changed a lot since they first opened . Annie
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 AM

I have similar complaints with employees at Hancock Fabrics. I've learned a long time ago that just because someone works in a fabric store like that does NOT mean they have sewing expertise.

I limit my inquiries to pleasantries and ask the employees the sorts of things they make. Surprisingly, some of them don't sew at all and not even interested.

My mom is the best source of "know-how." Then I can find a wealth of knowledge here at this forum too.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 AM

Actually when rain came, a umbrella was made!:))Have you seen those zipper purses??They endlessly zip. It was on sewing w/Nancy here a couple of weeks ago...way cool!!:))You might need a couple more though:))Skeat
Old 08-05-2008, 11:08 AM

I can agree that not all sotres are equal. My sister raves about Hancocks and I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for one. I needed some wash away stabilizer last summer for a baby quilt. JoAnne's and the Bernina store didn't carry it. I called Hancocks and the employee that answered the phone assured me that they had it. Dashed all the way across town--not a quick thing to do in Raleigh and guess what they didn't have it and the employee that took the call just said she guessed it'd be in the notions department. (That was her answer when others questioned her about it) She didn't know what it was! I was a little peeved and have not gone back since. If she didn't know what ti was, I would have appreciated her asking someone instead of just saying yes!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM

I remember one time I went to a Wal-Mart in a different town and got some fabric (I can't remember what it was though), but there was no one manning the fabric department (seems to be the case after a certain time at Wal-Mart). So they brought in a guy who had never cut fabric before, let alone do anything related to arts and crafts (I think he worked in the electronics department). He did crack a joke or two about it, particularly that I was making him cut a fraction of a yard on his first try. I think he was nervous, but lucky for him I was understanding about it. I just wouldn't have asked him for sewing advice. lol.

I agree with Loretta. This board is a great source for info. Plus, the girls (and guys) can help you from loosing all of your sanity if your project is driving you crazy.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I think this quiltingboard would be a WAY BETTER source for sewing info than any employee at a fabric department. I love it here cause I learn something every single time I read the messages.

Ditto!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Banned

DOUBLE DITTO :lol: