Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Substitutes for batting??? >

Substitutes for batting???

Substitutes for batting???

Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 AM

I have used flannel sheets in the past that were used. I loved the feel of the quilt. I actually prefer it this way than with regular batting but don't have anymore flannel sheets!

Kyia
Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
There are no right or wrong....use what works for you. Some have found flannel sheets at thrift stores or on clearance at the end of winter. I have seen thin blankets used also. Keep us posted on what you decide to use.
yeah, I've seen flannel sheet sets on sale that would give you 2 pieces of flannel. You couldn't buy the yardage for that price!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 AM

I have used old baby receiving blankets and sewn them together. They were cheap at yard sales and worked great.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! My DH just lost a lot of income from a consulting job and I don't have the money to buy quilt supplies anymore. Now I'll be able to piece from my stash and quilt using old thrift store blankets! I'm so glad to know this works and that so many people have tried it.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM
cjr

I've used towels. They work great, a little hard to quilt in some areas when threads are very dense. Thrift stores always have lots of large towels.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Default Batting substitute

Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
Ok - I've got some scrappy quilts "in the works" and was wondering what I could substitute for batting. I am just trying to be as frugal and "green" as I can be with these quilts.
I have read that some people use flannel. I was thinking of cutting up & piecing together some old sweatshirts or towels.
Has anyone done this before? Would it work? If not, why?
Aprreciate your answers....thank you!
I have used moving blankets on sale for cheap cheap. Worked very well
Old 12-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Some long arm quilters refuse to quilt for you if you don't use a manufactured batting. But if you quilt your own, you can suit yourself. If you don't want a heavy quilt, choose accordingly something lightweight to put inside, or put nothing. I make baby quilts with a top and a flannel back, because I want to make my baby quilts more like the 'receiving' blanket one uses around a baby indoors, rather than the cozy quilts for colder situations.

But for a heavy quilt-- the heaviest quilt I made was with nylons. I had 2 sisters, a mother, a grandmother, aunts, and women from the office who all gave me their nylon stockings (the older women) and pantyhose (the younger women) that they otherwise would have thrown away because they had runs in them. I wrapped a piece of the leg around my hand, and put it flat into a pocket (or envelope) that I'd prepared for it, using a 4" square print sewn around 3 sides to a 4" square of old sheet. Not turned inside out, just with the raw edges of the seams showing. The next pocket was sewn to the first at the open side of the first in order to close it, right sides of the prints together (the seam at the back on the old sheet side). I used the panty parts cut into pieces for filling too. I sewed strips of the square pockets to the width I wanted, then sewed the rows together with the prints right side together again . After it was double bed size, I put flannel on the back, and sewed long lines diagonally (to make an X in each square) to hold the front layer with its nylons and the back layer together. This construction was not my idea. My grandmother taught us to do it, my mother had a quilt that grandmother made her in this way. It was beastly heavy though!

My son loved the one I made. When he grew up and moved out, he asked me if he could have it. We had used it a lot for family camping trips, as a pad under a sleeping bag. Folded a couple of times, it was so thick that you didn't notice if you were laying on a stick or a stone. :-)

Last edited by givio; 12-11-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by pab View Post
How heavy do you need the quilt to be?I have used flannel,courderoy,jersey sheets and flannel sheets.I guess the towels would wash up Ok but might be heavy & take a long time to dry if you desire to wash your quilt..pab
I volunteer at the animal shelter doing laundry...towels take forever to dry...thus require more effort for the dryer to do its job...Actually fleece washes and dries best of all.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I never thought of flannel! I have some King flannel sheets that we no longer use. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:18 AM

I have used inexpensive/used blankets as batting. Also used cheapest walmart white or off white fleece - it's very thing - and regular fleece in white or off white for batting. Or you can use just the thicker fleece in any color or e pattern that looks good with the quilt top. Flannel is one of my favorite backings, but it must be pre-washed and machine dried twice because it will shrink considerably.