Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggest  a  good Machine Quilting book? >

Suggest a good Machine Quilting book?

Suggest a good Machine Quilting book?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info on these books!!! :D:D:D

I used to live in Libby, Mt and Nebraska....those sub zero temps are awful!!! :shock:
Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 AM

I have Harriet Hargraves book which was very helpful. As far the paper you describe, I haven't used it. Instead I've used tear away stabilizer on a border. It worked somewhat well, but I was left with a lot of little bits to pick out under the stitching. I would use water soluble stabilizer next time.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 AM

With that yellow paper you can make lots of squares at the same time by cutting out the size you need and drawing on one piece and stacking the rest under it. Then you machine stitch around the design without thread. This punches holes so you can see the design on all the squares.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
Hunker down with the fire tonight- gonna be another COLD one.... We are a few miles from the Canadian border but I never did learn the "C" thing. versus F... when refering to the temp... now- wind chill, I understand.. living in Sandpoint ID for lots of years...
I learned the conversion from "F" to "C", but I've forgotten over the years. I have a lot of friends who live in Canada and other parts of the world and I use a website that converts it for me. It's so easy, you just pop in the Farenheit temperature and it gives you the degrees in Celcius. :wink: I'll post the link below.

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 PM

There are also some books on continuous line quilting, but I'm at work and I can't look to see the actual name. They're really good, and have patterns right in the book that you can copy and use.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:12 PM

That's an EASY website, eh?? I think you take the "F" temp minus 30 then divide that # in half to get "C". To go the other way "C" x 2 then add 30 to that # and you have "F". That SHOULD do it!!! Now my head hurts from all that MATH!! gonna go brainlessly wrap Christmas gifts!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Was the quilting paper golden colored? If so, this stuff is amazing!!! It's thin enough to sew on and you just draw your design on it, sew, and then gently tear the paper away. A friend gave me a square to try and now I am eager to go buy a roll for myself. I know Keepsake Quilting sells it for under $10.

I too could use some advice on good MQ books, especially on FMQ, of which I think I'm terrible! I wish someone would teach a class because I really could use the help!
I looked for a year or more for the FMQ book that I was willing to buy. I finally bought Free-Motion Quilting Made Easy by Eva A. Larkin. Unfortunately, it's another thing that requires actually DOING the practicing, which I have not. Thought you might try to take a look at it though, before buying it if possible.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM

FAST & FUN MACHINE QUILTING
This is a Rodale book :ISBN 0- 87596-761-2

Here is one I bought at www.half.com I have since bought a quilting machine and passed this on to a friend on the Board.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 PM

Wow! Thanks everybody... my list of "look sees'" is growing...
Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM

Harriet Hargraves book is great! I refer to it all the time, if just to find the right needle size for a particular thread. Our Guild brought her in to teach a class. FUN! Funny lady! Great class. One of her insights about quilters that she shared is, if you're standing in line to have a yard cut and the person behind you says "Oh, I HAVE to get some of that!", you then decide to get three yards for yourself. Oh, how true.