Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion please:)

Blog Entries
    Greetings to all.
    Can some one please help me i am about to put a quilt together but no where to lay the backing etc to sandwich them together my table isn't big enough and the edges are too wide to use bulldog clip to hold the back down. I really need to finish it before xmas.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    The floor is doable but backs usually suffer. Sometimes churches or lqs have large tables/areas where you can baste a quilt...

Blog Entries
    I have gone to my church fellowship hall and put tables together to pin baste mine. Someone said they used tables at local library. Just thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Thank you i didn't think of churches table would they let any one do that?

Blog Entries
    We have a couple of stores in our area where you can use their classrooms at certain times.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the quick response, i am waiting for the church library to open at 10am and i will ask them. Have a good day :)

Blog Entries
    Why can't you use your bed to sandwich your quilt. I do mine and its pretty easy to do that way. Just my suggestion. Have a great day.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, the floor is very tempting right now i am checking a couple of options first:)

Banned
    You can baste on a regular table - even a card table.
    Just center all layers and let sides fall to the floor. Smooth and stretch out. Baste the section on the top of the table. Then pull the next unbasted section to the top and continue until all is finished. I have basted queen size on a card table this way. The sides hanging over will keep the layers smooth and pulling to the top of the table further straightens it out.

Blog Entries
    How do you pin your work on a soft surface? I always thought it had to be hard surface to be able to get the pins through the 3 layers. How do i use the bed for that? :(

I usually vacuum my floor and close the doors to keep the dogs out of the room while I pin mine down- if not I have 2 greyhounds laying right next to mom on the quilt I am trying to pin together - also pick a day DH is playing golf.

Blog Entries
    Really woww scary to me having to use a card table i am not very good at it at best of time we use to have a pool table that i used but DH sold it a couple of year ago.:(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grannyp70
    Why can't you use your bed to sandwich your quilt. I do mine and its pretty easy to do that way. Just my suggestion. Have a great day.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I keep big pieces of cardboard stacked in a closet. I put them on my bed and then the quilt. This works for me, even though I know there are other options out there, I don't usually want to go away from home since I usually forget something essential like thread, needles, etc.

I also have 3 of CostCo's folding tables, put together they make a good large area, especially when I had a big wooden dinner table.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Quote Originally Posted by grannyp70
    --------------------------------------------------
    I keep big pieces of cardboard stacked in a closet. I put them on my bed and then the quilt. This works for me, even though I know there are other options out there, I don't usually want to go away from home since I usually forget something essential like thread, needles, etc.
    That's a great idea

Blog Entries
    Also try a school - they may have large table you can push together for an hour.

I also agree with churches and libraries.

How about government buildings, fire stations, ... anyplace that GATHERS - for meetings of any type

Blog Entries
    folding ping pong tables work great also :)

Blog Entries
    cool idea i never thought of cardboard on the bed. I have had so many good hints from this site it should be nominated for website of the year :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Maybe i should ask Santa for a big folding table:)

Quote Originally Posted by capucine
    How do you pin your work on a soft surface? I always thought it had to be hard surface to be able to get the pins through the 3 layers. How do i use the bed for that? :(
    When I use my carpeted floor I put a large cutting mat underneath and move it around to pin.

Search here for the Sharon Schamber method. I hope I spelled her name right. She demonstrates how to do it with two boards on YouTube. I bought myself the boards last night and plan to try it soon.

I can not get on my knees so I use my bed or the kitchen table in the winter, in the summer I use the picnic table. I just seen on here using the wall I will be doing that from now on. and will use the clothsline in the summer.

I use my dining room table. I turn the table pads felt side up and lay the quilt on them. It sticks to the felt and doesn't slide. I start basting in the middle and move the quilt as needed making sure the back is pulled tight as I go.
    Lori

Have you asked at your local quilt shop.

I use the floor - have to contain the pets first though or they think its there for them to lie on :D

Quote Originally Posted by capucine
    If you use some quilt basting spray to anchor things together you can use your bed--I work off my bed and do it in sections--working from one end and moving towards myself. As sections are anchored I fold them up and pull more of the quilt onto the bed--have to be able to get to both sides of the bed for this to work best. Once it is anchored with spray, you can pin, baste, or simply just get to the quilting part without doing anything more to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast