Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions needed >

Suggestions needed

Suggestions needed

Old 11-15-2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Either Steam-a-Seam Lite or MistyFuse. Neither gets stiff.

By the way, the quilt is adorable!
that's my vote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:38 AM

I've only appliqued on one quilt. I don't remember which fusible I used, but took the advice of the ladies at JoAnns.

What I did was sew the fusible on right side, cut out the middle of the fusible and turn it. Then ironed it on. After that, I machine appliqued the edges. That way, I had no raw edges. I made 5 pointed stars and they were far from perfect, but with square pieces, it would be a piece of cake.

bkay
Old 11-15-2018, 04:40 PM

I would use a light non-woven interfacing, put it nubby side to right side of the panels, stitch all the way around each applique, slit the interfacing in the middle, trim the corners, then turn right side out. Iron them in place, then while watching TV in the evening, hand sew them down, but you could machine sew them if you like. With an applique as big as those, I would never try needle turn applique, but I am terrible at needle turn.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:02 AM

See if you can find a book on applique by Pat Campbell. She taught applique for years and is an expert in her field. I had the opportunity to take a class from her, and it was wonderful! Make sure your stitches do not show on the front of the fabric. Also, make sure that your needle enters the fabric at the EDGE of the item and that the rest of the stitches do not show as they enter the fabric. Using a small needle helps as does matching thread. Good luck on learning this wonderful new skill. The applique should appear to float on the surface so you don't want your stitches to show where you have attached the applique to the body of the fabric.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I use Steam a Seam light. To keep your blocks soft you can trim the fusible to cover just the outer edges of your blocks. Whatever brand you use make sure it is "light" or your quilt will be quite stiff and your machine needle will get gunked up with sticky stuff
I like all the Steam A Seam products. They work very well.