Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions please... >

Suggestions please...

Suggestions please...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM

Our LQS has offered us her classroom to sew pillowcases for ConKer Cancer. The ones who do come always spend money for other projects so it is a win win situation
Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Durinda
As a new wanna be quilter I looked and looked for a local quilting class just to see if I could do it. I found nothing in easy driving distance and even those were very expensive lessons with several sessions. I found this board and am now having a great time learning from all you experts in the BOM groups. I think that a beginner's class with just a small block to start would have drawn me into a local shop. :-)
I think a free intro class would be great! Get people hooked, then they can't help but come back! :twisted:
Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM

All of the fabric shops in my area are so obliging they will cut FQ out of any fabric and sell some of the discontinued fabric as cheaper FQ, they all have remnant bins.A group of us get together at a church hall pay $5.00 each This covers the cost of the hall, door prize, along with instructions for an item you can make with FQ.Often these items can be used as small gifts. One of our FQ projects will be the topper from Riversongs tute. Another will be the Moda Bakeshop Bookeeper pattern.This way it's fun and encourages new quilters.We also have old rulers and mats to use at the hall.All of our new quilters are happy with the shops treatment but they are all an hours drive away so for a lot shop courses are just too expensive to start with.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Great Customer service will keep them coming back and inviting others to join them.

Treating EVERY customer the same no matter if they spend a thousand dollars at a time or just a few dollars. Some shop owners are a bit snobbish to some customers which hurts them in the short and long run. If you treat customers right they will come back.
"DITTO" Well said! Always smile.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 AM

in-house classes, or even "sit & sews," would draw me in. The quilt shop closest to me does not offer these (lack of space). I so wish they did... Also, the availability of a Large table to be used for sandwiching would be a draw. (Small signs in the shop could advertise this nicety.) The BOM where the quilter buys the first one and gets the rest for free if they come in on a certain day with the previous block as evidence of their prowess would be draw. The complimentary use of a light box would also bring quilters in. Having an area with a couple of easy chairs, hot water for tea, and a few magazines will encourage customers to browse. Allowing quilters to consign their quilts and other goodies in the shop might help. A 'frequent buyer' card offering a grab bag of fabric after 10 or 20 shop visits. Mini in-store quilt shows every once in a while. Simple things like these that establish relationships with the quilting community.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 AM

My local sewing/quilting shop offers many classes you have to pay for, but they also offer many free lectures/demo. I have been in there on a Saturday morning shopping and the room is full! They don't charge anything for the lecture and the topics are amazing. You don't have to register you just show up. They cover so many different topics which reach a variety of interests. It never fails after the class the shop fills with shoppers!!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 AM

As a former quilt shop owner, I have 2 suggestions.

The Free Sew day is always profitable. The sewers always buy something and other shoppers are usually inspired by all the creativity. We had it every Wednesday, the quilters brought in potluck, it was a terrific thing and lots of fun!
The second is to organize sewing retreat weekends. Small groups relish the opportunity to sew for long periods...again the same benefits as the first.
Actually- third...be friendly but not pushy. Smiles and enthusiasm go a long way to help your business.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 AM

My favorite quilt shop is 45 mins away. What keeps me coming back is the staff and owners. They're friendly, helpful, and remember my name. It's a small cozy shop.

They hold monthly sewing nights but also let you use their classroom if there's no class be taught. That's great because the owner also repairs machines and is always willing to help with a machine problem for free. He even spots a problem before you're aware of it!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 AM

When customers, especially new ones, walk in the door, they should feel welcomed, not like they're intruding. Make them feel like friends. If they leave with a smile on their faces, they'll return. Sometimes I just want to look and get ideas for my next project, but I'll be back to buy. Also highlight the projects in the classes that are coming up. What's new??
Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 AM

My LQS is awesome. They have open sew every Wednesday, FREE, sleep at home retreats once a month ( Thurs, Fri, Saturday, from 10 am until 9 at night, Cost is $40.00 with dinner included and drawings for prizes. Every week there is something on sale, whether it be notions, fabric, patters, etc. Book club where you get 40% off one book a month. Lots of classes and clubs plus they are wonderful people. They have no problem keeping their customers coming in. Love, love, love them.
Sandy in MI